Newbie needs wick consult

Boy, I bet all you veterans get tired of all us newbies asking these redundant questions, sorry!!!

My question is hopefully a quick and easy one, ok, here goes:

Votives - using a parafin/soy blend of my own. The wick I'm using is burning very large, melting the was a good 1/2" deep, mushrooming and splitting plus leaving a good amount of wick unburned.... sounds like a total disaster huh. (The scent throw is good though :smiley2:)

Wick too big? I'm guessing yes...... thanks in advance all you wonderful, knowledgeable, people.

N M I !!! Need More Information. The best person to answer this question would be someone using the same blend of wax. Since it is your own blend it would be helpful. Hopefully someone is using the same.

Also please let us know what wick(s) you've tried. Getting a 1/2" deep melt pool with unburnt wick sounds like it's over-wicked to me. Try using a lower number in the series of wicks you have on-hand.

I'm using 25% IGI 4627, 75% EcoSoya PB - I've added the 4627 to try and bump up the scent throw; was very disappointed with 100% soy. I'm using LX brand wicks, have the 14 and 18 on hand, this one has the 18 which I'm now pretty sure is too big.............

... this is just a typical votive....like I said, I'm a newbie! :tiptoe:

I can't sleep at night, I'm buried in a pile of wicks; all different sizes and makes.... if anyone EVER thinks candles are easy they're crazy!

Thanks so much everyone!

I tried a similar blend of IGI 4627 with another wax (IGI 4794 votive wax) trying to increase scent throw and it didn't seem to improve the 4794. LX-12 wicks were too small (tunneled and little scent throw) and I haven't had anything bigger to test.

I, too, use PB for votives, 1 oz. FO PP, and use a CD 5-6 for them (standard sized votives - other shapes like octogons & cubes usually require a size larger, depending on the FO used).

Why are you blending paraffin with PB? I have not had any frosting issues with it at all, the scent throw is good and it doesn't have much tendency toward cracking, so I am curious as to why one would blend paraffin with it...:confused:

I was having quite a bit of frosting - and when using 1 oz/pp I was getting no scent throw, hot or cold. . . . . . adding the small amount of 4627 improves everything. I may even have to cut back some on the fragrance, too strong for me!

Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.