I'm scared!

I bought wax 4627, 444 & 415 to make a parasoy blend , 12oz salsa jars(that are now going to be discontinued!:mad:) and some 60z, 51z plus a whole box of different types & size wicks I bought from someone going out of business, presto pot, pour pots, liquid candle colorants,and I already have a ton of fo's from soaping.I do need to buy some silicone to glue the wick down.

But I'm totally freaked out about trying to make a candle!! Is that normal?

I felt similar when I wanted to make soap, but this seems so much more complicated.

Carol

Read, read, read and then read some more. There is so much information here to get you started. Test, test and more testing is the key. You have just exposed yourself to your own financial crisis in beginning to make candles :) but it is all good fun. How much testing you do and how much money you spend will to some degree be dictated by whether you are wishing to sell or just make for family, friends and yourself, however even if just for family and friends, dont skimp on the testing process.

Good luck and I am sure that if you have any questions many people here will be able to point you in the right direction.

It's only scary because it's something new. Once you take the plunge ( after gathering all the required knowledge) and go ahead and make your first candle it won't seem so daunting.

I look at soap making and think.....ohhhh my that all seems so complicated, but what's the worst that can happen? You make a mistake and botch it up? Well.....it's all part of the learning experience to make mistakes anyway isn't it!

Don't be too worried, it's so much fun when your candles turn out and burn well. The process of getting to it is fun too, even if there's a few glitches along the way!

I'd say EXPECT some hiccups! It takes time and practise to get it all right and all of us here have gone through that!

Just ask whatever questions you have here on the board and I'm sure someone will answer them!

Good luck! :)

Edited by Desertrose

I have only been making candles for 5 months so maybe what I say means nothing but am having lots of FUN making them. All I had for the first candles I made was a piece of paper with general instructions on it. I lit it after about 6 hours and I was happy cos it "worked". Some times I think I read to much and I just confuse myself instead of making my own mistakes and learning from them. Go for it :yay:

Tammy

It strikes me that you're making things more complicated than necessary even before making a single candle. Buying a parasoy blend is easier and will probably work better than something you mix randomly. Or just use one of the waxes you already got. Others will be familiar with how it works and can lend a hand if you have problems.

Silicone is more handy if you are selling or giving away candles. When you're just practicing and making testers, why wait overnight for silicone to cure? If you don't have a glue gun handy, get some Scotch 3M mounting foam at an office supply place. It comes in a roll the same width as cellophane tape. Just snip a square off the end to glue your wick instantly.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

I've done a lot of reading here on this board for about 5 months and that is part of my problem with being very nervous.

I decided on this wax cause I "read" so much about the problems with the parasoy waxes changing and "read" that quite a few people use these waxes to make their own parasoy blends. I probably should have started with a preblended wax.

OK I'll use the hot glue gun and just try to mix up a pound and see how it goes.

I have just one question....how do you weigh out the wax into the presto pot on the scale or into a bowl then scrape it into the presto pot?

Reading too much can be a problem when it comes to this stuff. :) Best to start simple and complicate things based on your own experience rather than what you hear. It takes longer to unlearn than to learn.

I guess you're concerned about weighing the 4627, since the soy flakes are easy. Some people actually tare the Presto on the scale and put it straight in, which works with a small batch and a big enough scale. Otherwise you could try weighing it onto aluminum foil.

Speaking of weight, your Thomas Jefferson quote is actually Gerald Ford.

What you could do is just use the presto pot to melt all of your wax and keep it in the presto unscented/uncolored and just remelt each time you start to make a new candle. Weigh your wax in your pour pot or whatever you use to pour. It saves time and countless paper towels for cleaning up. Stay focused on getting the candle you want. I was overwhelmed at first, but it's ok if you make a mistake, that's how you learn.

Good luck!

keep very good notes...

Not just very good, very precise and exact too. There is nothing worse than making a candle and forgetting to write a step down and then having to go and re-do all the work again to duplicate. (ask me how I know!!)

Just ask lots of questions and you will get good answers.

Speaking of weight, your Thomas Jefferson quote is actually Gerald Ford.

You are so correct. My source was not correct. I'll change it. Thanks!

debscent: I only have one presto pot and I wanted to make a 70/30 blend. Maybe I'll invest in another pot and melt two different waxes that way I could even try a 50/50 blend, hummm now I need to scout a few thrift stores as I found this one for $5. If not I can always go to wally world.

Abbie: Shhhhh don't tell my husband!! :smiley2:

Thanks for all the encouragement! After the kids go back to school I'm gonna give it a go. I'll let you know how it goes.....and you can definitely expect questions!

It'll be all right. :) I think it is easier to begin with one product and just work with it a while to see for yourself what it does and doesn't do... but do whatever works for you! The great thing is that it isn't gonna blow up or anything, so have fun testing it. 8Gran1s gave you sage advice: keep excellent notes!

Reading a lot sometimes does make everything sound terribly complicated and scary - but at some point, ya gotta just jump in and get your feet wet. I found it took a lot of testing and fooling around with additives and my procedures before I started *understanding* and getting reliable, consistent results with the wax I use (NatureWax C3). Keeping things very simple worked out best for me. :)

Have fun!! :yay: