Who has a cricut expression and how do you like it?

hurleygirl

Okay, I am such an infomercial sucker....I have been wanting one of these machines and the other day saw an infomercial on it, now I really want one....my question is what other things have you been able to do with this besides scrapbooking? I am not a big scrapbooker so I am just wondering if it is worth the money? TIA

I just got my expression in the end of October; but haven't had time to really get into it. I played around a little and love it! It does not come with many instructions...just basic which some parts confused me. Not sure if it is just me of not. I found a video online from AboveRubiesStudio.com that helped a lot! More informative and you can see each step.

I do not have any knowledge of the other Cricuts; but in my opinion, I'd go Expression. I have a feeling you would want the other features when you become addicted. I am excited that I will have time in January to play more with mine. Right now I've just played with the features to see what they do.

Also, I wanted to mention this. I justified buying my Cricut for the only reason to cut out the names to my fragrances to use in hang tags for some of my products. I was under the mis-conception that you could print a word and have it all attached together. But no...you get individual letters and I was not going to sit and line up letters on my products...Whew! Anyway 2 weeks ago I ran across an article on the Cricut Design Studio. You can attach things together with that. You can view every cartridge and it's items; but can only cut out if you have that cartridge. You can combine cartridges with it (again if you have the cartridges). I just did one teh other day using Paper Pups and Plantain Schoolbook. I had a dog sleeping on his back from PP and then put my dog's name below it with Plantain and "welded" it together. Turned out really cute!

I have bought all my cartridges and Design Studio on ebay. Much less expensive. Right now I think they are going for higher due to holiday gifts; but I have not spent more than $25-$32 on a cartridge and $32 for Design Studio. Every place I've bought from has free shipping.

hth

Trudi

I have a Cricut basic machine but have never used it, it was on clearance for a great deal and couldn't pass it up. I plan to open it soon to play with it with my dd.

Someone told me about an online site that sells software for the Cricut and eliminates you ever needing to buy the cartridges. There is a demo version but everyone I know who has a Cricut uses this software and it's only $75.00.

http://www.craftedge.com/index.html

Just so you are clear...the SCAL software you cannot cut out any images that are on the cricut cartridges. You use SCAL to use fonts your computer has and designs you make on your computer. Don't want people to get confused.

People already are getting confused with the Cricut Design Studio, thinking because you can view all cartridges you don't have to buy them; but you have to own the particular cartridge to be able to cut it.

Die hard Cricut users have cricut machine, SCAL & Design Studio (or the new Gypsy Design that you can take anywhere).

Trudi

I guess my point was would it be better to start with the cricut or just go for it and buy the cricut expression? Sorry if I confused anyone

I agree to go for the Expression, I probably won't buy one unless I find one on clearance again. lol It's kind of like when buying an embroidery machine with a small hoop, you don't want to get the basic as you will eventually want the machine with larger hoop. My basic Cricut is fine for what I want to do as I'm not big into scrapping or paper crafts as of now. I think you will love the Expression as most of my scrapping friends love theirs. I was just looking at the forums for Sure Cuts A Lot and they offer lots of freebies. Check them out. http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=890f30f89ab608aa95a70da858b09225

Took my Cricut to our family Christmas Saturday. All the women crowded around the table after presents and dinner done...LOL! My SIL traded cartridges until she comes back to town Tuesday. Her hubby, my bro, wants the Gypsy. My other SIL made her hubby inspect the Cricut so he'd understand what she's been begging for. My mom doesn't get why anyone would want one. She kept saying "It's just a die cut". No trying to explain it's more to her. Oh well, at least then she won't borrow mine. I made my present tags with the Merry Tags cartridge. Everybody loved them.

Trudi

I do have the expression and I love it. I am not a scrapbooker at all and I mainly use mine to cut vinyl. I made several christmas presents by cutting vinyl for a stencil then used the stencil to do glass etching. You won't be dissappointed in the expression.

I also have a Cricut....I purchased the smaller one first then, decided to get the Expression(shouldve just bought this one first) Havent had alot of time to 'play' on it but, what I have done has been good!! My 11 yr old daughter uses the smaller one & LOVES it!!

I been learning all I can to cut fabric from it & will hopefully get to try that out before the weekend is over with....Purchased all the stuff to do the Vinyl & will hopefully get that tested too. Also, want to do the Etching stuff,,,the possibilities are endless with this machine!

If you do alot of scrap booking or stuff like that, this is the product to get!! Was about to buy the Expression at Michaels & someone told me at the store to go to WalMart, they are alot cheaper & they are ....

You can look up stuff on You Tube to see all the NEAT things you can do with this....I just purchased the Design Studio & you make things from your computer & transfer them to the Cricut machine....I purchased that at Michaels for $99 it comes with the USB cord to do this....Not had time to 'play' with that either....LOL

Have FUN with it!! I just wish I had more time! But, I got it for when I retire someday HA HA

There are a few software programs I had read about that allow you to design your own stuff if you don't want to be limited to what is on teh cartridges:

SCAL

Make The Cut (supposed to be easier to use than SCAL)

Inkscape

I'm still new to design studio, so these are a ways off for me right now.

Remember you cannot design your own stuff on design studio without being limited to the fonts and shapes of the cricut catridges you own.

Trudi

Okay gals an update as I 'played' with my Cricut last nite!!

I couldnt get the Design Studio to work for me at all on my puter...it kept saying it couldnt find it BLAH BLAH BLAH....so now I wonder if Michaels will take it back??

I DID however cut on material.....OMG if you are a sewer you will LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!!!!!!! It cut my material out like butter.....first I ironed on the Heat & Bond,,,placed it on my Cricut using Blue Painters Tape to hold it in place better & VIOLA......I just made iron on's (patches or whatever) :yay:

Then, I cut vinyl out & did some Glass Etching with different things! Now that, was totally awesome too!!!!!!!! I used the pattern to use for Etching & the letters to put on my wall.....no waste here:p

I have 5 cartridges so I am TOTALLy happy with having those so, I spent $99 on this dumb Design Studio & it dont work for me:mad:

hurleygirl sorry bout that LOL

Just got back from Michaels,,,,,NO questions asked on returning that Design Studio....they just gave me my money back WOOT WOOT :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

So, I got some more glass etching cream , vinyl & OH if you cannot get the paper off the mat on the Cricut,,,,,invest the $5 at Wal Mart & get one of those spatula's....I refused to get one but, my hubby got me one for Xmas so I HAD to try it.....WOW,,,,,,,how could I think they wouldnt work, it works soooooooooooooooo good!! I also seen on You Tube you do 'not' need to invest in another mat if its loss its stickyness.....just buy a 2 way glue pen from Zig(the big chisel tip)cover the area with this & wait 20 min......VIOLA......you can get the pen at Michaels too:p

NO PRESSURE,,,,,,,but I really really really wish I wouldve invested in this Cricut a long long time ago.....I got mine at WalMart like $100 cheaper then Michaels....:)

Will post pics soon of all the stuff Ive done here lately,,,,,:cheesy2:

I bought my expression several months ago off Ebay and paid way less than in the stores. My sister is a scrapbooker so I gave her first shot at playing with the new toy. She didn't keep it very long but had a blast cutting out stuff with the cartridges that were supplied. I bought it to cut out fabric pieces to applique onto the fronts of my scented hot pads so I need to invest in another cartridge or 2 so I can get the templates I need but my interest is definately peaked with getting more info on the design your own using your computer.....so anyone willing to enlighten me more, I'd love to know. I've been inspired by this post so now that my housework is caught up, might have to get it out and see what I can do.

TexasBrat neat on the knitting the hat is that the same as crocheting a hat....I just finished this one the other nite my first hat & i'm on my 2nd one now but, I ran outta yarn....

mehat.jpg

Here they are together, but like i said the other one isnt done

hats.jpg

Since we have NO SCHOOL today because we are having a snowstorm, I thought I better get pics up of the stuff I made from my Cricut....

This "HOPE" was cut from pink vinyl

hopevinyl.jpg

These 3 mirrors the stencils were cut from the vinyl FAITH LOVE HOPE there is a glare when taking these pics but you get the idea

mirroretching.jpg

This is 2 separate glasswares....one says my daughters name on it CASEY & the other one has a C on it

glassetching.jpg

This is a heart dish my daughter uses for her bunny rabbit for her food & it says SNICKERS on it

rabbitglass.jpg

This is the letter M for this glassware for a friend, making a candle outta it too

mglass.jpg

When I do more, I will let you know but this is some ideas for ya all....I really really like the glass etching...especially on the mirrors....

Let me know what you think:)

• 1 month later...

I've got one and I've got the bags, tags, boxes and more cartidge as well. Totally cute. You just cut them out (well the machine cuts them out) and then you fold them where the score marks are and use glue to glue the boxes together. So adorable, I've done a bunch of them that way for birthdays and gift baskets. I REALLY love the popcorn box, I use that to put my little knitted items in for xmas (barbie clothes for my neice and so on). I once made 100 little boxes and put $1 bills in each one of them for my nephew to open one at a time for graduation. It was HILARIOUS!

Actually, I'm want to sell off all my cricut stuff, I LOVE it but I just don't use it enough to warrant having it anymore, I'm way too busy and I think someone else would probably use it way more than I do. I thought about going on ebay but the fees are ridiculous, I wonder if I can post it in the classifieds or would that be against the rules since it's not really pertaining to candle making?

FYI, if anyone has a Big Lots store in their area, and you're interested, I just got an email that they are having a 2-day sale on the Cricut Create Feb. 14 - 15, and the price is only $99. Cricut.com list price is $229.

http://ads.biglots.com/customer_Frame.jsp?drpStoreID=91&pageNumber=0&showFlash=true&isMember=1

Edited by sockmonkey

Can you tell me how you make your own boxes with the Cricut? Is it for the box itself, or for decorations that go on it?

No, it's for the boxes. I use a "matchbox" type box, just made it large enough to hold my soaps and then cut them from cardstock on the expression.

I use the Make-The-Cut software for this, since I don't believe there are any cartridges for the cricut that would make the right size box.

I also would like to know what cartridge you use to make your own soap boxes. I use my cricut expressions for tags, etc. but obviously from all the wonderful ideas given in the above posts...not nearly enough!

I don't use a cartridge for the boxes. I have a matchbox svg file and I use the make-the-cut software that works with the cricut. It allows you to basically create your own designs and cut anything you want...not just the stuff on the cartridges.