Can anyone offer info on theses waxes?

I have been testing some new waxes out and am growing frustrated, so I was thinking of ordering samples of the following waxes, mostly due to proximity of these suppliers to my home.

CBL-130 from Candlewic

C&S Production Single Pour Blend

Just Scent 50/50

I searched, and comments on these waxes seem relatively old, so I wanted some fresh advice from anyone who has tried or currently uses these. Any other recommendations for similar waxes are welcome too. I also ask for wick recommendations, if you don't mind. I currently use CD's. I have tried SP wax and KY parasoy, so far.

TIA

Jen

I was able to pick up my old wax from the supplier but it was discontinued and I don't want to just pick any wax. The SP wax from WSP is giving me a headache and I also tried many other waxes from nearby suppliers. Not loving anything yet. I am in PA so all of these waxes are nearby, but none close enough to drive. I don't want to waste too much money in the process. I have noticed so many variables in the parasoy waxes. One is clean, but not much scent throw, another smells great but is impossible to wick. I just can't get it right.

You are fortunate to live in an area where so many quality products are available!!! I agree with Scentlady about finding a good wax whose price & shipping are right, then go from there.

None of us wants to waste money and all of us want to find a product that's easy to work with to achieve great results, but honestly, that's a pipe dream. Many folks try to run before they have learned to crawl. It takes hard work, testing, learning, trial & error and PATIENCE to find a system that works for us, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger!

I have noticed so many variables in the parasoy waxes. One is clean, but not much scent throw, another smells great but is impossible to wick. I just can't get it right.

If you think parasoy blends are variable, try regular soy-based wax if you want some REAL variabilty in products!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

But you are right: there ARE many variables to candlemaking: wax, additives, FOs, wicks, pouring techniques, etc. Remember: nothing is impossible; you simply haven't stumbled upon what works for you yet.

The problem may simply lie with the way you are testing - haphazard approaches will leave one in the middle of a pile of supplies, none of which seem to work together! *faint*

Go back and start from scratch & be methodical in your testing. Make sure you have one aspect working right before adding the next variable. For example: pour a commonly used (like mason or jelly jar) small (4-8 oz) container candle with no dye or FO and get the wicking down for that. Then add ONE FO (don't try the heavier, more difficult scents at first) & get that ONE FO, wax & wicking working before adding dye. Get that combo working before trying a new FO, etc. Stick with one easy container, wax, FO & wick combo before trying a new container. Keep detailed notes so that if you stumble, people can help you. Good luck! :)

Thanks Stella for the advice. I have been making candles for over six years now and running my candle business for four years. I started out using Pure Soy, so I understand the quirks of soy. Then I switched to a parasoy blend, which I liked much better. I now have a dedicated crowd of customers who rely on me for all of their candles. My current wax was discontinued with no warning, so I am sorry if I sound like I am in a hurry to get it right. I don't want to lose my good customers while trying to find the right wax, so I was just looking for a little help. I obviously would do the proper testing before selling. I just want to find a parasoy blend that works well for other candle makers, so I can quickly replace my old wax. I have lost respect for that supplier, who told me two months ago that he had lots of the wax in stock and said it wouldn't be discontinued because it was made just for him. Then I call to order my Christmas wax stock and suddenly it is all gone and he can't get anymore. I have half a case and dozens of orders to fill. I have made my customers aware of the problem, but told them I am working deligantly on this problem, which is why I am here asking for help. I just want advice on a good wax to try...not anyone's secret formula. I have to try to pick the right wax the first time or I may lose customers. Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

Not sure if there is a lot of difference between CBL129 and CBL130. I've been using CBL129 for a while and I really, really like it - no, actually I love it!. Most FO throw beautifully in this wax. However, I make tarts only, not candles. HTH

Gotcha, jennyjo - sounds like you are living every successful chandler's nightmare - putting together a growing business only to have the ingredients upon which we based that success disappear. Hope you find what you are looking for quickly! :)

PS what wax were you using before? That might help folks to match properties with another brand...

Edited by Stella1952

Yes Stella, you summmed it all up nicely! I was using J360 only available through Early American Candle supply...he used this wax for his own candles and suggested it to me. He was unable to offer me any advice on a new wax. I know that it was a parasoy blend, but I dont have any guess on the ratios. It pulled away from the jar sides so not much in the way of wet spots at all. It seemed to wick pretty high. I used CD 14-18 depending on fragrance...that's in a square mason. I had virtually no sooting or smoke. It really was a good wax.

I have used the Production wax from C&S..it is very nice..great throw..BUT...you have to let it cure for 10days..on most fo's..I can tell you Cranberry Spice did not do well for me in this wax.I used it a couple of years ago for a craft fair..I now use Cargill C3...love it! I just started testing 6006....it seems to be another awesome wax...I have only tested 3 fo's in this wax but all three are awesome!(Pink Sugar BCN...Apple jack n Peel JS....and Flannel Sheets JS).HTH...some.

Oh and wicking is easy in 6006..so far! C3 takes a little while to figure out...but throws great!:smiley2:

Kim

Thanks Kim! God love ya for having the patience for C-3. Yikes...I hated that wax. I have been testing the SP wax from WSP and I love it, but the wicking has been an issue. I think it's similar to the 6006. I don't want to wait for a cure. I am testing HTP wicks today in the SP wax and it is going well. The scent throw with this wax is soooo awesome. I got a lot of sooting with the CD wicks and I really don't care for zincs. Anyway, I haven't given up on the SP and I have crossed those CBL waxes off of my list for possibilites. I get too many orders to wait for a cure. Thanks again and let me know how the 6006 does.

I am in PA also. I've used a lot of different wax over the past 9 years.

I have been using the CBL130 for over a year now and I love it. IMO...Bill Binder at CW knows his stuff :)

I use Madison jars and LX wicks. Candles burn great....not a long cure time with most fragrances. Sometimes I can pour one day and burn the next and get a great hot throw.

I did not like JS 50/50 wax. I bought 4 cases and am using it at a small percentage in my tarts and votives.

Well I certainly understand what you are talking about as I have been through that too many times with suppliers custom blend waxes. This is just my opinion and works for me but I will no longer buy custom supplier blend waxes because at some point there is always a problem and its usually that they no longer carry it leaving you scrambling to find a replacement. *shudder*

I now make my own custom blend and I only use waxes that you can get at most of the suppliers should one no longer be in biz or discontinue carrying it. I get my wax from Candle Science and have found their shipping to be very reasonable, I dont know what shipping to PA would be but this has worked for me and thought I would pass it along.

Hope you get everything worked out soon. :cheesy2:

Edited by lsbennis

Thank you girls so much. I really appreciate it. I would love to try my own blend, but every time I try it it seems so hard to wick. I do hate having to rely on suppliers to keep things stocked...everything I like is discontinued, I think. I know whichever wax I end up using, I am going to make sure that I always have plenty stocked up well before the holidays. That was my mistake this year, because I was moving and I didn't want a bunch of wax to move. Hey, thanks again, and keep the info comin!

Can't help you with the wax but I have a trick for the wicking. It worked for me, some people think it's nuts.

I used to wick one candle that was just wax, with no scent or color. Then another with a heavy vanilla or bakery scent and a lot of dye.

That kinda gave me a range to work from. I could make educated guesses on things in between.

If there were six wick choices between the two, I could start with the one in the middle for a lightly colored rose scent.

It might save you one or two tests per FO.

Then again, it might have only worked for me because I'm a lunatic to start with. YMMV

Okay well heres my logic...I already had tested all my oils in my previous wax and have the corresponding wick sizes to go by. This kind of shows me which oils are harder to burn and which are easier. So I am assuming that it will be similar this time around. So when I have success with one oil in a wax/wick combo then I may also have the same result in an oil that used the same wick size previously. So all my oils that used the CD 16 before may also use the same size now. So I have one success story and I will now pour all of my CD16 oils with that wick and start testing there. Since I have worked with all of these oils already, it makes it a little easier. At least I know where to start. Does that make any sense or am I just rambling???lol

Okay girls. The HTP was going good until the third burn in which I got mega soot. I think the SP wax is just going to do that. Its a shame because it smells so good, but oh well. So I have a supplier that is less than five miles from my house (Backwoods) and she has J223 and CB Advanced both and I was wondering if I could mix these together myself. Has anyone tried these two together? I have read about J223 and gb 415, but not the advanced. I could also order the soy 125 from Candlewic with minimal shipping. Any thoughts?

Okay well heres my logic...I already had tested all my oils in my previous wax and have the corresponding wick sizes to go by. This kind of shows me which oils are harder to burn and which are easier. So I am assuming that it will be similar this time around. So when I have success with one oil in a wax/wick combo then I may also have the same result in an oil that used the same wick size previously. So all my oils that used the CD 16 before may also use the same size now. So I have one success story and I will now pour all of my CD16 oils with that wick and start testing there. Since I have worked with all of these oils already, it makes it a little easier. At least I know where to start. Does that make any sense or am I just rambling???lol

It makes sense. You're doing the same thing I was talking about, just in a different way.

I'd suggest just doing just one of those size 16 FOs, though, at first. Just in case it's drastically different. Maybe zero that one in, then test all the others from that group with whatever wick finally worked for the first one.

If you find that you have to go up 3 sizes with the first one, you can start testing ALL your FOs at 3 sizes up from normal ?

Just thinking out loud.

Just a thought. If you're close enough to drop in at other supplier's shops...

You might be able to get some ideas from the folks who work there about the blend your old supplier was selling. Especially if you can take some time to 'shoot the shit' with the folks at the order desk.

I'm sure you're not the only one that's freaking out over this. I'll bet they've heard this a few times. They may have some ideas about a replacement.

I could also order the soy 125 from Candlewic with minimal shipping. Any thoughts?

Above average burn qualities, but slightly below average pouring qualities if you use it straight. With additives it could work well for you, but obviously a big change from parasoy.

I haven't tried CBL-130 and maybe there's a good reason you've crossed it off the list, but living in PA I would want to give any options from Candlewic a serious test.

Dustpuppy-My previous supplier offered me no help in finding a new wax to try. And, yes, I will get one oil tested first and then go fron there. Thanks for your thoughts.

Top-I have Backwoods less than 5 miles from me and she sells J223 and CB advanced. I was thinking of making my own blend with the J223 and either the Cb Advanced or the soy 125...I would not attempt soy by itself again...been there and done that. I have not really ruled anything out. I just thought if I could mix the CB and the J223 I wouldn't have any shipping charges. The soy 125 however is a low cost alternative if the CB wouldn't work.

Thanks Steve! I am glad someone has tried this mix before. So you mean 80 of j223 or 80 of Cb? Does it burn clean at this ratio? Would you recommend going this route or with a plain soy wax mixed with J223 instead?

Edited by jennyjo

I'm sorry for not giving you more details. I used 415 soy with the J223 in a mix of 80% soy and 20% paraffin. It was very easy to wick but unfortunately it did not burn cleanly; sooted like crazy. I tried different ratios but all the others caused the wax to pull away and make nasty huge wet spots. The 85/15 was better for clean burn but it just looked so nasty. The ht was really incredible without any need for a cure time. You might get better results testing other wicks besides the cd, zinc or lx. HTH.

Steve

Carole (Bugtussle) and several others on the board use a combination of 85/15 6006 and CB Advance. I tried it with 415 and 464 and found it to be a great combination. Very clean and adheres well to the container. I use Clarus 70/30 from TCS because I know this wax so well and didn't want to retest with the other combo. It really is a super blend.

Steve

I use C&S Production Single Pour Blend regularly. They make both a votive and a container blend. I ADORE the votive blend but absolutely DESPISE the container blend. Both burn well enough but the container blend just doesn't make for a pretty candle. The votive blend is easy to work with, isn't overly temperature specific and the granules are sooooo much easier to weigh then trying to cut a slab. Also, I've never had to let my candles cure. Not sure if it's been reformulated since kimmeroo used it or what but I've tried a variety of FO's from different suppliers and haven't had a problem.

Edited by Starr
Added to my post.