soy hand and body lotion base

soy327

Hi all,

I am going to make lotion for the first time, I ordered the CMS natural soy hand and body lotion. This stuff is thick, so I e-mailed them about adding other ingredients wanting to know if the preservative in it was enough to add to it. I was told I could add (I bought a gal) 1/2 to 1 full gal of other ingredients. It already has Glycerin, soy, olive and sweet almond oils in it. I have some grapeseed oil.

Any other suggestions for how much, and what else would be good to add, I don't want to dilute to much and make it too thin. I just want to have fun trying this.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Linda:cheesy2:

I guess I am confused. You said you wanted to make lotion. Then it sounds like you bought a lotion base. I would be concerned that there is enough preservative in that base to add 1/2 to 1 gallon of other additives. if you used it without additives it would be way over preserved.

Also, adding other oils to an already manufactured lotion would not work in my opinion. Wouldn't the oil not mix since the lotion is already emulsified? Making lotion to me means buying raw ingredients and formulating. If I bought a lotion base I would add EO's or FO's and package. That would be the purpose of buying a base.

I did plan on adding FO and packaging, but it is thick. So I was reading on the container it says"add your own oils and additional components and mix, add 1oz skin safe scent and color". So I e-mailed CMS and they said I could add up to 1/2 to a full gallon and there is preservative to support. I don't want to dilute that much.

So I am looking for advice on what else and how much. Like I said this is a fun thing and maybe after some reading and research I will make lotion from scratch. I have soy oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and walnut oil. I have been reading the forum on the subject of preservatives.:) and looking for recipes.

Thanks for your input:cheesy2:

Linda

Thank you, I did, but of course this being my 1st experience with it, I thought I would put out questions for the other people to give me any ideas on what else to add, and how much. It seems that distilled water is winning, adding it to the right thickness. :yay::yay:I bought some yesterday, and have been waiting for feedback.

Thanks for the help,

Linda

Edited by soy327

• 2 months later...