Where to start? What to do?

cbv1

Pick up these books to read. They are highly recommended to anyone facing job change/loss and what to do now.

No More Mondays by Dan Miller

48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller

Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson

Seriously, read those books. The third one is very short. If you only choose one of the Dan Miller books, No More Mondays is the most recommended for someone in your situation.

Take care,

Jennifer

I had to read Who Moved My Cheese for my Psychiatric Nursing class...then write a paper on how our life correlated to the events in the book. I was pissed at first (I hate papers), but found it a very enlightening exercise. See if you can find it used. It will seriously take you 45 minutes to read it and you don't want to spend 14.99 for that!

~Julia

I might post it sometime later after I am more established and respected on the board, and don't look like a fly by night marketer.

Thanks for asking.

You had no problem posting your video website??

So why hold back on the candle website. :cheesy2:

Hmm.. Starting to think maybe you don't have a candle website..:confused:

This is where I cant take Holly seriously. If I were her and wanted to be viewed as someone who wanted to be a contributing member instead of someone here to make some money off of people actually trying to make a go in the candle business I would have readily shared my candle website. Im with Islandgirl I dont think she has one. Maybe she's not answering because she's busy trying to throw one together?

You had no problem posting your video website??

So why hold back on the candle website. :cheesy2:

Hmm.. Starting to think maybe you don't have a candle website..:confused:

I don't think she would be one of those despicable people who went around flogging videos and books filled with regurgitated self help/marketing/financial cliches mainly plagiarized from bumper stickers.

Wait.

Yes I do.

Remember that everything happens for a reason and now you don't have your job (sorry to hear) you have the ideal opportunity to build your own business and be your own boss, besides you worked hard for someone else, why can't you work hard for yourself and have no boss to answer to!! Horay, heres to your future:yay:

Remember that everything happens for a reason and now you don't have your job (sorry to hear) you have the ideal opportunity to build your own business and be your own boss, besides you worked hard for someone else, why can't you work hard for yourself and have no boss to answer to!! Horay, heres to your future:yay:

Thank you so much for the positive wishes! I have helped so many other businesses succeed and achieve their goals. I am not afraid of hard work so I am going to give it my all!

BTW... I haven't been on the board for a few days and got confused with the last few pages of posts regarding spammers etc... I thought I was on the wrong thread or something!

Thank you so much for the positive wishes! I have helped so many other businesses succeed and achieve their goals. I am not afraid of hard work so I am going to give it my all!

BTW... I haven't been on the board for a few days and got confused with the last few pages of posts regarding spammers etc... I thought I was on the wrong thread or something!

We all wish you luck. Just remember that you're kicking off at a tough time. The upside, though, is that if you can weather the storm, the competition will be a lot less this time next year.

Sorry to hi jack your thread. We just had to take a moment to sweep up a bit of trash. :cheesy2:

We all wish you luck. Just remember that you're kicking off at a tough time. The upside, though, is that if you can weather the storm, the competition will be a lot less this time next year.

I know, that is the scary part. I have seen a lot of different businesses go under and this recession seems to have hit everyone really hard. Especially the small businesses who don't have a lot of money to fall back on. I have my eyes open believe me. But one thing I think about a lot is that I am 55 years old and have always taken jobs because I needed one, not that the job was something I loved to do. I may wind up doing that again, who knows, but I would like to give MY dream a shot first this time! :smiley2:

If you're going to try and keep the roof over your head by selling your soaps, one thing to think about is what makes you different from all the others who have a soap/bath and body website. I plugged "soap companies" into google and found this: 1 of about 22,500,000.

That's 22 MILLION soap companies on the internet from that search alone.

What's your special niche? What will make people want to buy your soap from the 22 plus million other soap companies that all seem to look the same and have the same products especially in this economy?

I'm not at all trying to deter you from going for, go for it!, but getting yourself in the top few companies of the search engine will be to your benefit.

I have found that being diversified is the best way to keep the roof over our head, bills paid and food on the table in our home, especially since my husband has been laid off since April and I am the primary breadwinner. And I'm doing it by having a blog, a biz facebook page, doing fairs, farmers markets, teaching medicinal herbs, working the web to keep my name in front, having specials and lots of other ways.

It's hard and stressful work, but I can honestly say that I love my job. It's kept me going and off the streets through death, divorce, moving, remarriage, layoffs and so much more. You can do it as well. Just know that you have to keep on it all the time to make it work.

Edited by Wildcrafter

Thanks for the advice WildCrafter. I do plan on doing Farmer's Markets and Craft Fairs whereas I haven't been able to do more than a few in the past because of my full time job. I also plan on meeting with my web guy at the start of the new year to talk about search engine stuff, and update my website with new products and packaging.

I don't know how I would set myself apart from other soapmakers. I just stress that my products are handmade and vegetable based. I make dynamite body creme and I use all natural products. I plan on working more on perfecting my liquid soap, then going on to liquid bubble bath, bath gels, and creme soap. I have a lot to keep me busy that is for sure. And with a severance package I am hoping to buy some time and have money to live on. My husband does work so that is a plus.

If I have to get another job I will, but my thinking is, what do I have to lose? I could easily freak myself out and not even try and just get another full time job. That is what I have done in the past. I want to try a different route this time and I have to be brave. I know I can work hard, I have a very strong work ethic.