Where to start? What to do?

cbv1

So, I am up at 2:00am, thinking too much. Got news yesterday that my real job will be gone in 4 months. So, my mind is racing... Do I take this as an opportunity to put more time into my soap business? Working a full time job all these years hasn't afforded me the time to really pound the pavement and get my soap business name out there. Is this an opportunity to try to get my business up an running? I am scared right now.... and confused. I pray for guidance because I sure could use it right now. :confused:

Yikes! I'm sorry about your job. It is pretty scary to be in that place.

This sounds easy to say, but I thing you should go for it with your soap. Maybe in the beginning you might need a 'small' part time job to take up the slack? But start writing a plan about how much soap you would need to sell to make a living on it and then go from there... Where can you market that much soap, how much would your supplies cost you weekly / monthly, how much time would you need to spend (don't forget to count marketing time - go to every store you can think of and start hitting the craft shows), maybe think about web site...

These are just my quick thoughts, but it might help to write down a plan. It would focus your thoughts and give you a goal.

Good luck!

Thanks Crafted. I appreciate you taking the time to give your input. I felt so lonely and afraid last night. I have a very supportive family so I am very lucky really. This just pulled the rug out from under me. And others have larger problems than I do. This isn't the end of the world but it felt like it last night.

I do have a website but of course I don't get a lot of traffic because I haven't had much time outside of my real job to market my products.

I think I will take your advice about writing things down, start making a plan. I have always wanted to submit my products to a local health store, but never had the time to actively go after that. I did have my products in some stores but unfortunately they all went out of business. Times are tough, but I can't let this get me down. I have a passion for soapmaking and I know I make quality products that I am proud of. Now I need to take charge and do something about it. I will put my heart and soul into getting this up and running. I have to at least try and if I don't put my all into it then it won't be successful.

And I can spend the winter months gearing up for craft shows. I do one each summer and have always done well. I will have plenty of time this coming summer to do more of them, and make products besides on the weekends.

I will make this work... I will make this work.... I will make this work...

OK, I think I will get dressed now. Feeling sorry for myself is not the answer.

Thanks again Crafted!

I know it's got to be hard to fathom right now, but at least you have a craft/skill that can be profitable.

You have a line of products, so I think you should try your hand at selling them. :cheesy2: If it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world. But you'll never know until you try.

Good Luck!

~Julia

Yes Faerywren, I appreciate your input also. And you are so right. I won't know unless I give it a try. I have always taken the safe road. I have always made sure I always had a job that paid the bills first and foremost. And they haven't always been jobs I liked. I need to be brave for once in my life and step outside the box and try to succeed in something I love.

I hope others see this post and can share success stories about succeeding when following their dreams.

I know it won't be easy, but I have busted my butt for all the employers I have worked for in the past. I know how to work hard, I just have never done it for myself and achieving success in making my dreams come true!

I am so sorry about your job . Your soap looks wonderful . I would make up a business plan first then I would get in to all the craft shows or markets or stores that you can, to get yourself out there and let people know about how great your soap is . Wishing you good soap business mojo :)

Might be a good idea to start trying to build an inventory during the next 4 months. You could send out resumes and see if you get any good offers, at the same time.

If it were me, I'd be hunting for a new job AND gearing up to go with the soaps. That way, either way it goes, you're covering your butt.

If you send out the resume, you might get lucky and have your dream job fall into your lap or you might find a part time job that will help you over the hump til the soaps take off.

I've always gotten my best job offers when I didn't give a shit.

I just always tend to make two sets of plans in cases like this. Then I make two more for when those two don't work. But I doubt your luck runs like mine, so just two plans should work for normal people.:cheesy2:

Thank you to all that responded to my post. I had a very bad week and stayed in bed for 4 days. Then I threw myself out of bed and came back to work today. I am starting to plan and yes, I do need to use the next few months to build up my stock. I also emailed my web guy with a list of things I want to change and add to my website. I have been in technical support for 16 years and pretty burnt out in this profession. I am hoping that this is the opportunity that I have been afraid to take on my own. Now the choice seems to be right in front of me so I will try to make a go of my business. We have many farmer's markets and craft fairs in the summer so I think I will plan on hitting all of those and just see what happens. Selling my product through a 2nd party has been difficult to say the least. I would love to have the control of selling my product directly to the customer. And, I will keep my eyes open for maybe a part time job too. Who knows... how can I acheive my dream if I never try and reach for it?

This is an opportunity for you to shine!

Do what you have to do to make ends meet --- full time.

And work on your fortune part time.

One of the quickest roads to failure with any part time business that one wants to take full time is the mindset.

I know it sounds quacky...

but it's true...once you change your mindset from "working part time in your business" to "working part time on your fortune until you can work full time on your fortune" you will never realize the true success that you desire.

Good luck!!!!

I hear you Holly! And my business is my true passion. I love it!! And I am so thankful that I found my passion, even though I was already 50 before I found it! Thank you for your words of wisdom! :smiley2:

So, I am up at 2:00am, thinking too much. Got news yesterday that my real job will be gone in 4 months. So, my mind is racing... Do I take this as an opportunity to put more time into my soap business? Working a full time job all these years hasn't afforded me the time to really pound the pavement and get my soap business name out there. Is this an opportunity to try to get my business up an running? I am scared right now.... and confused. I pray for guidance because I sure could use it right now. :confused:

Pick up these books to read. They are highly recommended to anyone facing job change/loss and what to do now.

No More Mondays by Dan Miller

48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller

Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson

Also, I say go for it. I had to give up candle making a few years ago and missed it terribly. Now I am slowly working my way back in and hope to leave my full time job in a year or so. I grow tired of the hour commute each way! I personally have more testing to complete so I can do shows and things next year. Too many things changed in the years I was gone to pick up without re-testing! My short term goal is to make enough that I can stop commuting. I would love to have to take a part time job near home and focus full time effort on my candles. I envy you.

Seriously, read those books. The third one is very short. If you only choose one of the Dan Miller books, No More Mondays is the most recommended for someone in your situation.

Take care,

Jennifer

I will look into those book recommendations. I too have a 1 hour commute each way. That has always been the worst part of my job!

Thanks for the suggestions and support from all of you. They really mean a lot to me!

Coleen

Do you really make candles or are you just trying to push your "how to" book? :rolleyes2 Carole

Wow Carole!:sad2:

Carole, we're on message board community about making candles where almost everyone here already knows how to make candles. It does me no good to market "how to make candles" on this site...because everyone already knows how.

What about my posts has made you decide to ask such a thing - other than my website address on my posts?

I'm not shouting...HEY BUY MY PRODUCT!

I have not touted my product in any way. Geeze

I am just trying to be a contributing member of the community...like you.

You have a very nice site by the way.:)

Wow Carole!:sad2:

Carole, we're on message board community about making candles where almost everyone here already knows how to make candles. It does me no good to market "how to make candles" on this site...because everyone already knows how.

What about my posts has made you decide to ask such a thing - other than my website address on my posts?

I'm not shouting...HEY BUY MY PRODUCT!

I have not touted my product in any way. Geeze

I am just trying to be a contributing member of the community...like you.

You have a very nice site by the way.:)

It does look a little suspicious. We see scammers and those trying to sell us crap spamming on here alot so its a normal reaction to assume you are here for the same reasons. And not everyone here does know how to make candles. Hence why the might come here. If you are here to be a contributing part of this community, you might want to remove your link (on all your posts) to your your website which sells your DVD on how to make candles and make money. It could be misconstrued as to what your intentions are.

BTW- Bugtussle (Carole) is a very valuable, long-standing member of this board.

Edited by Meridith

My first thought was that you haven't been here long enough to have achieved credibility. It takes time. It's obvious a lot of people here are just learning or trying to learn. When someone comes here announcing (via a link) that they have the answers, it's way beyond suspicious.

I can think of a few people who have come here and done the same thing. They aren't around anymore.

Please don't misconstrue my posting a link to my website as me being a know-it-all with all the answers.

I understand where you are coming from and understand what me placing my link on my posts might have looked like to everyone.

Have you read the posts that I have made? I am just chiming in on things that I have experienced, just giving my two cents. I never say "hey check out my site".

Did "the others" hard sell you with their stuff, like "hey if you want to learn how to make candles then you should check out my site?" If they did then I completely understand your problem with them.

But hey give a girl a chance. I'm not doing that. If someone clicks to my site it's because they liked what I had to say in a post...not because I said "hey come here to learn..."

I honestly thought I was contributing to the board and you are completely negating any of the content that I posted just because of a link.

Please accept my apology.:)

I can understand if you see crap from spammers...I guess I thought that by providing worthwhile and contributing posts I might not be seen that way.

My apologies.

Yes we do see scammers and spammers on here quite a bit - especially at certain times of the year. And we've seen them act as if they want to help, all as a way to gain trust and eventually customers. At this point, your prior posts mean nothing in speaking of your true intentions. You need time to prove yourself. But if you speak words of truth and your intentions are what you say they are, in time, that will be obvious. But FWIW, welcome to the board. :)

Edited by Meridith

I would love to see your web site! :yay:
Holly, Id like to see your regular website of products. Could you post that please?
Hi Jean and Quietgirl2004. Thanks so much!

I might post it sometime later after I am more established and respected on the board, and don't look like a fly by night marketer.

Thanks for asking.

Edited by hollycandle