Help

I am trying to get a dark cranberry red and have added to 5 lb of wax 30 drops of Red from AH and 6 drops of Black from CS. It is to pink, how can I get some red back in it? Don't want to waste all that wax.

Nevermind! It will probably never burn cause dye will clog wick but she wants it for decorative - sparkle glass pillar

Edited by grama

Hi,

I found pigment color blocks clog the wick. I changed to liquid color thinking it would not clog the wick. I have yet to test my candles. 30 drops doesn't sound like a lot of color for 5lbs of wax. Is there a % of color to wax or does it depend on the color you are using?

Thanks,

Thanks Chris, will try to remember about the yellow. Actually I ended up using 20 drops per lb of the red and stayed with the 6 of black. I think I got it about the right color. I made me one though so I could be sure about the burn with that much dye! I have never used that much dye except with WSP dyes. I really like them but it takes a lot to darken wax.

I don't go by % on color, just keep dropping until I get the color I want!

Edited by grama

The liquid red I used to get from Peak used to work almost too well. I had to dilute it half the time. Might try that, next time.

And I've used a lot more dye than you're talking about for 5# of wax, without any issues. I was using braided wicks for pillars, though. YMMV

I was actually replying to your first post. The 30 drops to 5# of wax.

I seem to recall doing one candle that used around that much dye in one pound of wax. Worked OK without wicking up.

That was when I first started and I may have just gotten lucky. Could be that it worked just because I was too dumb to know it wouldn't.

For some reason I was trying to mix black by throwing in everything I had. I think I must have still been using the hobby store stuff.

In the end, I got away with roughly what you were talking about in your second post, where it was 26 drops to one pound. I wouldn't recommend it as a rule.

You might try pouring a candle from this batch that's only one inch or so tall, in the mold that you are going to use, then test it. If all you need to find out is if it will clog the wick, that should tell you.

For future reference try the dye from Peak. Almost sounds like you're using the cheap stuff from the hobby store.

Another thing. Did you let a sample of the wax set up and harden to see the actual color ? The wax tends to get darker as it sets up. Part of that was because I always pretty much maxed out the vybar, though.

I think I'm babbling, here, because I'm a little surprised at needing the 26 drops per one pound. What wax are you using? I was using paraffin. Not sure if there are different characteristics to other waxes.

If you can use this much wax, you might consider getting some better dye and adding that along with more wax. That would dilute the amount of dye per pound.

No matter what, I'd be looking for better dye.

The dye I was using was from AH. But I have been burning the candle and it has burned fine using 27 flat 3x6 pillar. Paraffin wax - igi 4625. No hobby lobby dye for me, don't even know where one is! Have always bought all my supplies from reputable suppliers :cheesy2:

It turned out being a very good dark cranberry red to me. Hope the customer thinks so. I have to star dazzle 4 of them!

Yeah, let a drop set up. I have found the best way to test a color is to put a drop on back of hand, let it set up (does real quick) and then put on white paper towel or styofoam (??) plate

Edited by grama

This is odd, to me. I never needed nearly that much dye after I went to the good dyes. Might be because I always used a lot of vybar, though. Not sure. :confused:

At any rate, your original question about this much dye clogging the candle:

Probably not a problem.

I think that's what you were asking before I started babbling. :cheesy2:

I had that problem too when mixing black with red and getting pink. Now when I mixed red with brown I got a much true red.....You would think by adding black it would deepen the red though so I do understand where your coming from, but it didn't work for me.

Trappeur