New Lines for Summer & Christmas

RichardLOZ

Do you make your own labels or have them printed? I was wondering how you got the country boarders on yours?

We do make our own labels, and I cant even begin to tell you how damn frustrating it actually is. I have spent literally hours trying to get the damn borders right and aligned. They are close but not perfect. For some reason they just dont seem to align properly, nor will it print well right to the edge of the label.

Well the printing part is not quite true...LOL. I can get printing to both the top and bottom edge and nicely on one side, but for some reason the other side just wont print properly, hence why the left and right borders are in somewhat. I think it still works, although I would be so much happier if the printing would play properly.

BTW I am using Avery designpro and labels supplied from Labers by the sheet, with my own custom created template.

Cheers

Richard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go into the mold making business, give me a yell!:yay:

Dont know about going into the mold making business as there are many more talented people that us already doing that. I can tell you however that after experimenting ourselves I can definitely see why people are charging what they do for a silicone mold.

For example the mini cini buns mold is about 450 gram, which doesnt sound too much until you look at the cost of the silicone.

We are just experimenting at the moment to see what sells and what doesnt before we go down the path of further molds. Still have about 8 1/2 kg of silicone here to play with when the time is right :)

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for the compliment although I would definitely not consider label design to be one of my strong points. If I can get that damn border to play then I may be in a much better frame of mind, but until then I am still just about ready to tear peoples heads off if they ebter the room while label printing / designing is in progress.....LOLOL

Richard

Where did you get those tins they are soooo cool?:yay: Everything is very very nice. Did you do your own labels? I am having a problem with mine, need a new way to make them. Sorry didn't read all the posts. I have used avery too.

Linda:yay::yay::yay:

Edited by soy327

Where did you get those tins they are soooo cool?:yay: Everything is very very nice. Did you do your own labels? I am having a problem with mine, need a new way to make them. Sorry didn't read all the posts. I have used avery too.

Linda:yay::yay::yay:

Hi Linda

Tins are mainly cat food :) Some tinned veggies too I think. Through the dishwasher, dried and then treated to look rusty. Yes, we do our own labels as well. Thanks for the comments.

Richard

I am really loving those pillars! They look really great! What technique is this?

Jenny

Pillars are from feathering palm wax. Poured at the right temperature results in the natural feathering that this wax is known for. The cow candles is the same wax, however is poured at a different temperature to reduce the feathering for a totally different result.

Cheers

Richard

Linda

Modge Podge (sp?) is what you guys have over there is the States. For us poor Aussies we just have plain old clear craft glue (which I guess is the same or similar anyway).

We first lightly spray the tins with a brown / rust coloured spay paint. Once dry we mix up some of the modge podge with various ground spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and coffee. The amount you put it determines the end colour, remembering that as the mixture dries it also get a little darker. Once this is mixed, it is pained onto each tin with a paintbrush and then left to dry.

We do not do anything to the inside of the tins at all. The label goes onto the tin after the spray painting stage, while the paint is still wet, which helps it to stick better (we learnt this by trial and error), and then the spice mix is painted around it.

The handles on these were made from fencing wire, which was also painted, but we have now got some authentic rusty wire to use for those instead.

HTH

Richard

If you look on the next page in the gallery Kountrytimes posted some pics of her "Grungy can candles".

This is what inspired me to try experimenting with making the "rusted tin" Christmas candles as I loved how she had done her labels. (thank you Kountrytimes!)

Lord above....what you people must be thinking "Cat food tins"....LOL!

I assure you they are cleaned thoroughly so as to not have any sardine flavoured candles!

Personally I love the idea of recycling so these were rewarding to make.

Actually Richard is mistaken...What I found worked best was to grunge up the whole tin and THEN stick the label on using the craft glue as I was concerned that the glue on the sticky label itself may not be enough to stay stuck.

Still waiting to see how these will be received here though at markets as they are pretty "rustic".

Tracy

I have to admit too that the cow candles were again from something inspired here from this board.

I was playing around with making "ice candles" using palm pillar wax. I'd tried making one with two different colours myself and then I searched on this forum to see if anyone else had played with making "ice candles" and I found some pictures that I think went waaay back in the gallery.

Somebody else had made a black and white one and I thought it looked so cool so then Richard tried himself to make one.

I already had some little miniature "cow bells"lying around and then we discovered the "fresh cut grass" fragrance from Natures garden (which is really quite nice!) and so we thought we'd give it a try as some people are mad about cows.

Tracy

Dont know about going into the mold making business as there are many more talented people that us already doing that. I can tell you however that after experimenting ourselves I can definitely see why people are charging what they do for a silicone mold.

For example the mini cini buns mold is about 450 gram, which doesnt sound too much until you look at the cost of the silicone.

We are just experimenting at the moment to see what sells and what doesnt before we go down the path of further molds. Still have about 8 1/2 kg of silicone here to play with when the time is right :)

Cheers

Richard

I, too, would be especially interested in the mini cini buns. Too often the ones I've seen are either too squat (1/2"/1.27cm ) or too tall (2"/5cm). And when they are the right heighth - the diameter is too big to be used as a melt (3"/7.5cm). These just look to be the perfect size.

I, too, would be especially interested in the mini cini buns. Too often the ones I've seen are either too squat (1/2"/1.27cm ) or too tall (2"/5cm). And when they are the right heighth - the diameter is too big to be used as a melt (3"/7.5cm). These just look to be the perfect size.

Thanks Judy. Its real nice to know that someone also thinks the way that we do. I found the same issue when I was looking at all of the available molds in this range. They were either too big or too small. Ours are approximately 1" in height and just over 1" in diameter. If I recall they weight about 1/2 oz or perhaps just a touch more, so they do fit nicely in the 1/2 lb tin tie bags.

I want to experiment with a rosehip cavity and a 1" cinnamon stick cavity to make wax fixins. The only problem I can see with those, particularly the rosehips will be the pouring. How do you pour into such small cavities without making one hell of a mess everywhere, while actually getting the wax into the cavity to begin with....LOL.

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for instructios on the tin's I'm going to try it. I am getting ready to make gingerbread soap out of a mold I ordered from www.brambleberry.com anyway the have an injector for those little tight areas. Rather than buy there kit, I went to the Walgreens and the pharmacist gave me a 10 ml syringe I took a plastic pippette and cut about 1" off and put it over the end of the syringe so I could put the white soap in the piping around the gingerbread man. They have a video on the site, I think. If you send me your e-mail I can forward it to you, if you can't find it on the website. It's on Vimeo look for soap queen. It was done on 1-9-09. I :yay:don't know how it will work for wax but have @ it.:yay:

Linda

lfest@yahoo.com

One more here to add if I may. These are Raspberry tartlets, again with the original model hand molded by Tracy and then the result made into a 6 cavity silicone mold by me. We have also done these in Lemon Meringue and Blueberry, and may yet do some in Strawberry Rhubarb.

Thanks for looking and the comments :)

Richard

Raspberry%20tartlets.jpg

I love all of your products! How do you get your pics so big? I am just learning how to get the pics on here but they come out sooo small. I am not very good with pics.

Kim

Kim

Pics are taken on a JVC high definition video camera (only because we dont have a real camera....LOL), so by default they come out of the camera at 1920 x 1080 resolution which is pretty large. Tracy then reduces them somewhat in photoshop.

HTH

Richard