Check out this mold!!!

leisa2003

Um...have you noticed anybody using metal molds for soaping? Ever?

There's a reason for that.

I don't know what that thing is exactly, but it ain't no soap mold. And if it's really coated with zinc as claimed, the reaction with the lye may be...well...shall we say dramatic?

Edited by topofmurrayhill

This would be for melt & pour and it would be lined. I know all about the gases and explosions that could happen when lye comes in contact with these types of metals.

Here is what they say on ebay about these molds....

SOAP MAKING MOLD & KNIFE

Makes 4 lbs / 16 Bars of Soap

HIGH QUALITY CRAFTED FOR ARTISANS

SUPERIOR in Durability, Ease of Use & Results to WOODEN MOLDS

This listing is for one 4lb / 16 bar Galvanized Steel Flat Soap Mold. It is affordable & crafted with long-term use and quality in mind. Included with the mold is a galvanized steel cutting knive that fits through the slotted sides of the mold, ensuring accurate cuts and even bars everytime. Use wax paper to line the mold for simple bar removal & efficient soap making. Please read the email sent from a buyer of these molds...

"Michael...We poured our soap today and to tell you the truth, the

galvanized ones are fantastic. They are much more sturdy and the soap pour very

even. The wood ones are good but not like the galvanized ones. Also, we used

parchment paper to line them with. It worked well on the galvanized but we

had difficulty with the wood and had to switch to Saran Wrap. We both

decided that the soap looked more even in the new ones we just got...Thanks so much. We are having a blast

with the soap. Annette at primpeddler"

SPECIFICATIONS: ~13"Long x 9"Wide with a depth of 1-3/4" (makes 16 bars ~3-1/4" x 2-1/2")...

Edited by leisa2003

Aaaaaaaah it's for MELT AND POUR ONLY. That's better. Don't see it stated there. Glad yo uclarified.

NO!!! CAREBEAR,...He DOESNT state its for Melt and Pour only!!!

Unless you can find it on his auctions,...I dont see anywhere he is stating for M&P use only.

But as a mold,..after the lye reaction has already taken place, why wouldnt it be safe since it is a MOLD and if lined properly.?? Its not like you are mixing your lye water in it. I dont know, I havent made anything other then M&P yet.,..so I dont know much about anything else. But good to know this now!!! THANKS FOR THE WARNINGS!!

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Wood-Labs-Artisan-Products__W0QQ_armrsZ1

This is his reply to my question from what you say is dangerous....

Hi Lisa - This mold is to be used with a parchment paper or wax paper liner, so nothing comes into contact with the steel. Also, many people will use these mold for glycerine based soap. Additionally, I do sell a wooden mold for people who prefer them. Thanks for the question. Best Regards - Michael

- wood_lab

I did find this,..and wouldnt a setting tray be a mold???http://waltonfeed.com/blog/show/article_id/170

The Setting Tray: In past times many used a galvanized tub. Other old timers used a wooden box in the shape of a tray with a cloth laid in the bottom of it. The cloth was used to help remove the hardened soap from the tray. If you are going to use a solid tray, it is recommended you place plastic wrap instead of cloth as the barrier between your soap and the tray.

Edited by leisa2003
adding

I thought lye has a adverse reaction to steel or aluminum?

I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere..

Ive only read where to not use these metals as in a mixing bowl or utensils. I havent seen where you cant use galvanized steel as a mold. Unless you all know something that I dont.

Edited by leisa2003

Um...have you noticed anybody using metal molds for soaping? Ever?

There's a reason for that.

I don't know what that thing is exactly, but it ain't no soap mold. And if it's really coated with zinc as claimed, the reaction with the lye may be...well...shall we say dramatic?

I havent seen it done, but I have read where it HAS been done!!

Wish I knew how to reply to all these quotes in just one post!!!! :(

Edited by leisa2003

i only do cp soap..

so mp is totaly something i don't know about..

but from my first starting out making soap..

i have always read to not use this type of material..

stainless steel is different..i have an old 6 qt. stainless steel kittle that i do all my cp soap mixing..

but i pour into either a wood or silicone lined mold..

it you want to be safe and try out..just put a spoon full of your soap mixture in a corner of the mold, and see for your self what it does..

I really don't know, because I have never tried it..

i only do cp soap..

so mp is totaly something i don't know about..

but from my first starting out making soap..

i have always read to not use this type of material..

stainless steel is different..i have an old 6 qt. stainless steel kittle that i do all my cp soap mixing..

but i pour into either a wood or silicone lined mold..

it you want to be safe and try out..just put a spoon full of your soap mixture in a corner of the mold, and see for your self what it does..

I really don't know, because I have never tried it..

Well right now, I only do M&P, and I make alot of it at once, so I am going to use this mold for my m&p. I have a nice wood mold that I will use when I get the nerve up to make cp or hp soap. I am just happy I found a mold that I can make 16 bars of soap at once in and for $20.

Edited by leisa2003

i sence that you might think that those of us that has questions about this mold, are being confortational..

that is not my aim at all..just tring to pass on something that might help you..

Oh No,..I dont think any of you are being confortational at all. I do think its perfectly safe for people who do make m&p soap. I was also maybe thinking that I can use this for my m&p bath confetti (I hate using my cookie sheet for this) or even for wax chunks,..and with that huge cutter it would save me alot of time. But anyways, no,.. I think you all here are a great bunch of crafters that are just looking out for one another.:smiley2:

Edited by leisa2003

Just thought I would share that he has PMed me back again with this,..

The lye is coustic - but if its keep from contacting the galva steel you'll be ok. If you would like, I am thinking about offering the same mold with a powder coated chemical resistant surface... they'll be more though. I'm waiting for the quote to determine price (I should know this by next Monday). Thanks again - Michael

Edited by leisa2003

Oh No,..I dont think any of you are being confortational at all.

Even if you didn't take it badly, I apologize for my tone. I momentarily spaced and mistook you for someone else, who quite honestly I don't much care for. Otherwise I would have wrote it a little differently. Sorry for the confusion.

That being said, the idea of the metal mold is pretty iffy. I doubt that any of the sheet metals that a mold like this would likely be made from is an optimal material for CP or HP soaping. Some metals would just be a bad idea and others would be disastrous. As far as galvanized steel is concerned, my understanding is that the zinc coating would be pretty reactive with lye.

As far as using it with for M&P, I don't know. There wouldn't be the exact same issue, but we don't really know for sure the potential reactivity of sheet metals with the soap base or fragrance. Wax and fragrance doesn't seem to cause any problem with cheaper steel or aluminum pots in candlemaking and M&P might be exactly the same, but I'd be slightly wary.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

i don't see anything wrong in using that mold as long as it has been lined properly, after all if lined carefully and properly soap won't be in contact with the type of steel this type of mold is made of.

Edited by guamgirl

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to my welding days... heating any galvanized metal can kill you.

The neat thing is that you can be exposed on Friday and not get sick until Monday. It's called Monday Morning Fever, sometimes because of this. Mostly though it's called "fume flu". That's the medium exposure.

High exposure will render you unconscious in minutes and, possibly dead, shortly there after.

Light, repeated exposure can cause heavy metal poisoning.

All three cases are hard for a doctor to spot unless he's looking for it.

That's aside from the reaction of zinc and lye. The zinc/lye reaction gives off a poison gas. But it also produces enough heat to make the rest of the zinc give off it's own gases.

People who work around galvanized use a special respirator that costs around $1800, last I heard. They usually have to buy those, themselves.

Consider that welders tend to be the 'cowboy' types, so when they are willing to drop 2 grand on a piece of safety equipment, it's pretty bad.

For what you propose, this thing may be safe. Just make sure it's kept far away from the lye.