Well look at this! lol

Loulougirl

So I've been experimenting with Bath Bombs. I don't feel toooo bad about all my failures, I've made some great powders, and my kids don't mind testing the "ugly, cracked and broken" ones. lol

I'm wondering, to those of you who successfully make bombs, if you could shed some light onto what I may be doing wrong.

I've tried about 5 different recipes, and I'm pretty sure I know what the "wet sand" consistency looks like. Well, maybe not tho. lol I pack them as tight as I can too!

When they dry, all my bombs crack super bad across the seam, so deep that the two halves almost separate. And they've cracked down the sides as well. :( It's so sad, I really wanna make these! lol

The recipes I've been using I got from Costal Scents, from the EBook, and from the little video from Kathy. The only ingredient I left out was the poly sorbate, since I don't have any.

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer! :)

p.s. This is what they look like.. :(

DSCN0294.jpg

Maybe you are packing them too tight. When I first started making them I made that mistake. I thought I had to really force the mold together, the sides wouldn"t stay together when I did that. If you are using the ornament ball molds, I found it best to slightly over fill each side of the mold then close it. If you have to force the sides together you put too much product in the mold. Then gently remove the top part and roll it out on whatever you are drying them on. Your recipe could be fine, you may just have to play with different molding techniques.

Jeana, that's very interesting! Hmmm... I am really packin it in there hard! lol I was planning on tryin again tonight, maybe I'll just try to be a bit more gentle and not jam so much in the molds, see how that goes.

I am using the ornament balls.. I cracked one half with the first batch I made I was pushing so hard! lol

Here is a video that shows a good amount to put in the molds. I don't like his recipe for myself, but the technique is good. And it is pretty much the same as I do.

http://video.about.com/candleandsoap/How-to-Make-Bath-Bombs.htm

The first couple times I made mine, I packed it till my arms hurt and the ball would still push apart, I'm surprised I didn't crack my mold, lol. When I would get to the end of the batch and didn't have as much to pack, I realized they worked better.

My last batch I got too wet. That was fun to see what happened then :tongue2:

Of course it was with Patchouli EO, couldn't waste a whole batch on a cheap oil, had to be an expensive one.

Good luck.

I'll be trying again this evening, I went today and got some wilton gel icing colors to use. Those orange ones above I colored with mica, and... it stained the tub!! :eek: It cleaned up ok, but man... lol

I'm gonna try these gel icing colors in the bombs, and my bubble bars! Wooo! :D

Sorry to double post...lol

I tried again, and... fail! This time... no cracking, but they developed bumps all over! Not the huge warty bumps I've seen before (my first batch). They sort of look like.. concrete. lol Feel like it too, man these ones got hard! LOL

I never liked that saying... If at first you don't succeed.. but wow, does it sure apply to me now! :D

How is the humidity in your area. If the humidity is above 40% I have found that it isn't even worth wasting your ingredients. I haven't had the cracking but the second batch you made that grew warts sound like it is to humid. I live in Louisiana and when the humidity drops below 40% I make bath bombs like crazy. Once they have dried the humidity is not a problem. Hope this helps

There are devices that you can buy that measure the levels of humidity. Yesterday I was at walmart and I was looking at clocks and they had one that showed the humidity. You might want to try using something like this. Also try your local weather. Good Luck

When making bombs, humidity is our worst enemy. Make sure that you are working dry, dry hands, dry bowl, and I never add anything but oils and fragrance to the mix. The chemical reaction is hard to stop once started.

I posted these trouble shooting tips on another board, but they apply here too:

Cracking when curing - To much moisture in ingredients and mix is reacting from inside causing expansion. Try keeping everything sealed and away from water sources.

Crumbing - Before curing, not enough liquid

Soft bombs after cure/warting - too much moisture in air, bombs are reacting

I like to work when both the humidity inside and outside are under 40%. I have a dehumidifier running at all times in my workshop.

Thanks for the tips John! Those bombs in your avatar look awesome! :D I can only dream! lol

I tried again last night, and I'm not sure what I did wrong this time, but all but one just sort of crumbled at the slightest pressure this morning. :(

I added cornstarch, maybe that was it? *sigh*