What is going on--I've never had this happen!

I have a new scent I love and when I poured it, I noticed that once the candles set up, it appeared that there was seepage. You know, the brownish little spots here and there. So, I decided to melt down all the containers and add more wax to decrease the percentage. When I re-melted the wax and poured it from the containers, I noticed that the wick tabs were all rusted, yeah--rusted (and it hadn't even been 24 hours since I originally poured them)! I then re-poured at a lower percentage of scent to wax. Low and behold, I'm getting the same brownish streaks, etc., I did initially and I think it's because the fo rusted the wick tabs and the rust is now mixed in with the wax. What is going on and how can I prevent this from happening? :confused: The scent is sugared vanilla shortbread from Candlewic, the wicks are from Bittercreek, and the re-pour was done at 1.2oz/lb wax. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

I have had vanillas do that to my wick tab as well. Don't know what causes it. Probably the same thing as when you make soap, the vanilla f/o will make the soap turn brown.

About the seepage, sometimes I just let the candles sit a while and the f/o will absorb back into the wax. HTH:)

Thanks for the help guys. I got to thinking that when I opened the box of wax and separated the slabs, I noticed alot of moisture on each slab. I know water is used to cool the wax when made into slabs and I've experienced the water before. I was wondering, thought if it was the water that could have rusted the wick tabs. I know water boils at 212 deg. F., but I don't usually bring the wax up to heat that high because I add soy wax. I guess I could bring the paraffin-based wax up to the 212 deg. F. if the water is the problem, then cool it down and then add soy. If it's the water, that should work, right?

I definitely think it's the fragrance. I use a lot of jelly jars with pewter lids and a few of them have gotten rusty-looking spots on the inside of the lids if they sit a couple of months, along with the rusty wick tabs. It's always bakery-type scents, so I'll agree that it's probably something to do with the vanilla in them.