Am I charging too much?

kandlenutz

ok, I have a question. I am making candles in baby food jars, calling them "Baby Melts" I fill them w/ 3oz of weighed wax. I have been charging $3 or 4/$10. These candles are highly fragrant too. I have had a few people say "Three Dollars?" like it is too much, Is it. I have been trying to price my stuff at $1 an oz just b/c it is so tricky, to figure out, and that just seems more simple. I have done that price up to 12 oz. I figure if I make larger candles, then I cant do that price then, but I will think about that when the time comes. Just as an FYI~ i charge my 8 oz JJ (6oz of fill) $6 each or 4/$20 and 120z candles ( i usually fill 12.5 oz) $12 each or 2 for $20. Fair pricing? or Too much.

Also, I make these "Thank You" tags, that I have been charging .25 cents for. I forget what they weigh, but not much at all. Is .25 cents too much?I havent sold as many of them yet, they are more of a special request item.

I really appreciate and respect everyones opinions, so be honest....Thanks Much:)

post-11137-139458457684_thumb.jpg

post-11137-139458457689_thumb.jpg

Your prices sound very fair to me! I make 4 oz jelly jars and sell them for $4 each or 4/$15. They don't do so hot either. I think when they are gone, I am done with teeny candles, unless someone specifically orders them. I just can't sell them for less than that when they cost almost as much to make as the 8 ounce jars. I will keep my 8 oz jj's at $6.50 or 3/$18.

Sometimes its just the area you are trying to sell them in. Your prices sound reasonable to me.

I sell 4 oz hex jar candles at $4 each. When I put them on sale I sell them for 3 for $11. They sell very well around here. I find I have to have small jars and other small size products for those customers that are on a budget or just tight with their money.

If you feel the price is right and its competitive for your area then you don't need to change. But if its a matter of you are just not moving those candles after months of trying then put them on sale and sell them off.

I have some candles from a previous candle line I have been trying to sell off for a while. I am now down to 3 cases. But I learned that there are just some candles, either the size, jar style, price, or scent, just doesn't sell sometimes. So you try something else and move on.

HTH! Good luck.

Those same people will notice that in every store it is teh same. Smaller sizes have the same basic costs as a larger size. Silly people...I think your pricing is perfect. It's great for someone with less income to pick up an inexpensive somethig and someone else (lucky people :laugh2:) pick up a bunch.

Trudi

A question for you. Are they in real babyfood jars or are they just shaped like babyfood jars? If some people saw candles in babyfood jars with lids that said "gerber", then some would think that price was too much. BUT, if these are just jars that are the size of babyfood jars then I think you are ok on your pricing. Some people are picky like that. They see jelly jar or baby food jar and automatically assume they are going to get flea market prices for your quality product....just because of the packaging.

Edited by asheebeans

I agree with Asheebeans on the jars, people would want flea market prices. I think your price is fine. If after awhile they don't sell, then have sale. With the way the economy is people are trying to save anyway then can, but still want the extras. So stick with your price.

A question for you. Are they in real babyfood jars or are they just shaped like babyfood jars? If some people saw candles in babyfood jars with lids that said "gerber", then some would think that price was too much. BUT, if these are just jars that are the size of babyfood jars then I think you are ok on your pricing. Some people are picky like that. They see jelly jar or baby food jar and automatically assume they are going to get flea market prices for your quality product....just because of the packaging.

They are real baby food jars, however, I did paint the lids and I add some decor to the tops, these ones in pics i had the silk leaves on, b/c that was the theme for the order, but usually i get these wooden stars, and paint them a burgandy or rust color and add them to the top. I dont leave them bare w/ the gerber advertising. I also have some little cinnamon looking brooms that I thought I could put on top for the harvest season. Thanks for your opinion! I really appreciate all the feedback that I have gotten.

Your jar is very nice. $3.00....that is a very fair price. It looks like you have a nice black lid. Four for $10.00 now that's a deal.

Don't sell yourself short. I think people forget that this is a/your business and you need to make money.

Ok......this is what my husband told me when I had some similar comments.

#1 - You can work hard and make a great product. Build a customer base that is grateful and loyal to you for a quality product. People who are loyal will tell all their family and friends how great your candles are. Your business will grow and so will your confidence. Not only will you be making money for all your hard work you will be HAPPY. You might not be super busy in the beginning. But, over time your will get as busy as you want to be!

#2 - Or, you can work hard make the same type of product for a cheap price. Of course, they will tell all their family and friends how great your candles are and how CHEAP/deal they are. Then you will get tired, burned out.....not to mention working very hard to make all of their homes smell good for a cheap price. Busy does not always equal money and happiness.

Your time is PRICELESS to you and your family. Don't let your customers take it away from you for a deal!

Oh, I went with #1:yay:and I love making candles for all of my wonderful customers! My customers are very grateful for my products.

This way everyone is happy!

Edited by Onyx