A good deodorant recipe?

NoOneSpecial

Hi,

I stumbled over this web-site some time ago about making deodorant. It has several different recipes that you could tinker with. I have not tried any of these, but kept the link just in case. Make sure you read the links inside this thread as it has some interesting information as well.

http://www.thegreenestdollar.com/2009/04/how-to-make-your-own-deodorant/

Another is: http://1greengeneration.elementsintime.com/?p=596

This next link is one that I have made for my husband. He is sensitive and allergic to about everything and it works really well for him. The tea tree oil works great for him.

http://www.recipezaar.com/stick-deodorant-aluminum-free-361814

Also, if you homemade deodorant, you will get a ton of links. I think I spent about 4 hours one day reading and looking at stuff from ingredients to all sorts of comments. I am determined to try some of the others this winter now that kids are all back to school so if I get them tested, I will let you know how they turn out.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by CandleMama6

Hi,

I stumbled over this web-site some time ago about making deodorant. It has several different recipes that you could tinker with. I have not tried any of these, but kept the link just in case. Make sure you read the links inside this thread as it has some interesting information as well.

This next link is one that I have made for my husband. He is sensitive and allergic to about everything and it works really well for him. The tea tree oil works great for him.

Also, if you homemade deodorant, you will get a ton of links. I think I spent about 4 hours one day reading and looking at stuff from ingredients to all sorts of comments. I am determined to try some of the others this winter now that kids are all back to school so if I get them tested, I will let you know how they turn out.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the info. I will look into each of them.

Hi,

Hope this helps!!

Great sites to share - thanks!

Trish

There's a very popular thread on another forum where folks are reporting good results using Milk of Magnesia. Just dab a cotton ball in it, wipe it on and you're good for hours (according to those using it).

If you wanted to get fancy about it you could use a roller ball applicator and maybe add a drop of FO/EO...

It's on my list of things to try anyway. :)

There's a very popular thread on another forum where folks are reporting good results using Milk of Magnesia. Just dab a cotton ball in it, wipe it on and you're good for hours (according to those using it).

If you wanted to get fancy about it you could use a roller ball applicator and maybe add a drop of FO/EO...

I've heard of it, but trying to stay away from the aluminum.

This is probably true cause it works wonders on drying up zits!

On my list also - read with intrigue!

Here are a couple of recipes that I use:

Recipe #1

8 oz. sweet almond oil

2 oz. besswax

2 tsp. wheat germ oil or Vit. E

1 tsp. bergamot e.o.

15 drops tea tree e.o.

30 drops geranium e.o.

1 tsp. lavender e.o.

1 oz. white clay

1 oz. baking soda

Melt together 2 oz. beeswax with 8 oz sweet almond oil. Combine essential oils and Wheat germ oil or Vit. E. ( I used Vit. E). When beeswax and sweet almond oil has cooled, add essential oil mixture and stir well. Add clay and baking soda and stir until the mixture begins to thicken. Pour into containers.

Recipe #2Heat 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1 1/2 Tbsp. bees wax until melted. Add 1/4 cup baking soda and stir constantly as it cools. When mixture begins to thicken, add 12 drops essential oil.

Some suggestions are rosemary, white sage, lavender, lemon or thyme. Pour into twist-up deodorant container and set upright until solid.

These were recipes that I found on the Internet. I can't remember where I found them or I would have posted the credits. I think the clay probably helps absorb the moisture. It also helps the deodorant glide on. Both recipes work, but recipe #1 is my favorite.

Edited by lsg

Just curious about how they discovered this as deodorant with MOM. Were a few ladies sitting around sipping Milk of Magnesa on the rocks in their foo foo glasses; then they had a cotton ball fight and one fell in Mrs. Olsen's drink and she takes the cotton ball and wipes it under her arm and says, "hey ladies, I forgot to put on deodorant today, think this Milk of Magnesa will work?" :laugh2:

• 1 year later...

This is the most amazingly awesome thread ever!! You have no idea how much time I've spent searching for the perfect deoderant to complement a scent blend I've concocted & wondering why I couldn't just mix something up because the stuff I like always gets discontinued anyways and so on and so forth.

So how did these recipies do for folk? It seems like tea tree would limit your scent choices because it's so strong. How does baking soda do with holding scent? Did your blend hold up all day or did your deoderant magically disappear at 2 (which happens to me with several commercial brands . . . typically the ones that come in yummy scents.)

Also, where do you get empty doederant cases? I'm exploding with curiosity here!

This is the most amazingly awesome thread ever!! You have no idea how much time I've spent searching for the perfect deoderant to complement a scent blend I've concocted & wondering why I couldn't just mix something up because the stuff I like always gets discontinued anyways and so on and so forth.

So how did these recipies do for folk? It seems like tea tree would limit your scent choices because it's so strong. How does baking soda do with holding scent? Did your blend hold up all day or did your deoderant magically disappear at 2 (which happens to me with several commercial brands . . . typically the ones that come in yummy scents.)

Also, where do you get empty doederant cases? I'm exploding with curiosity here!

Hi Cedar. Tea tree does stand out but it blends nicely with lots of other fragrances. Lavender Tea Tree is nice, so is lime, lemon, orange, and grapefruit!

SKS has nice deodorant tubes, I can vouch for their quality as a vendor. http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/PlasticDeodorantTubes.html

my solid deodorant bar has 92* coconut oil for a bit more firmness, shea butter, a touch of candelilla wax, baking soda, grapefruit essential oil, tea tree oil, and a touch of castor oil. I dont really make them that often.. they arent huge sellers for me, but they are fun! And they do work. I'm not a "sweaty" person so I dont notice a huge difference.. my huband does sweat, but there isnt any odor when he uses them. I like it alot.

I've also made it before in a cream form, by basically cutting the wax out and upping the oil and that works well too but its messy.

PS keep in mind it can stain clothes.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

PS keep in mind it can stain clothes.

Are you saying to watch for stains while crafting? I always assume everything is going to stain because I'm about the messiest person in the world . . . . or are you saying it will stain while you are using it? That would be problematic.

Edited by cedar_lea

lsg, your first one there, does it make a kind of paste? Just curious! :D

I just saw this post, sorry I haven't answered before. The first recipe is poured into a deodorant tube and glides on just like commercial deodorants.

Yes, the waxes can leave dingy spots on your bra, just use spray and wash or put detergent on that area before washing your clothes. DH has never complained about it staining his shirts, but he wears colored T-shirts.

Edited by lsg