Help with Room Sprays

JBaxley

I would like to add room sprays as part of my business. I have read a lot of threads on here about them. My concern is the tile floors getting oily. I sell to a lot of retirement centers and I just can't sell them something that they could slip and fall. Plus if I tell them not to spray in the bathrooms or in a room that has tile because it could get greasy I don't think they will want to buy the product at all.

Has anybody out there found a way to make room sprays that don't have any oily residue? If so would you please share your recipe?

OK I'm really new at this. I looked up 91% alcohol and that is Isopropyl alcohol that you can buy at drugstores correct?

First I would have to buy a FO Modifier. I found one at WSP and it says 4 parts modifier to 1 part FO. I want to make an 8oz bottle so help me out please. How much water, how much alcohol and how much FO with modifier should I use.

So you just use alcohol and FO...are you using oil based oils, I have read they have water based FO don't know where to get them however. What is your recipe for an 8oz bottle? How much alcohol to how much FO? I'm assuming that these won't get moldy or yucky because of the alcohol correct?

I don't use FOs ever. I use EOs. They do not mold or turn yucky. Some EOs stay emulsified in the alcohol, some separate and the bottle must be shaken before each use. The citrus EOs tend to separate. The ratio is up to you...as far as how strongly scented you wish your sprays to be.

I can not advise you on using FOs because I do not use them and have no experience with their behaviors in alcohol or water.

Walgreens has 91% Alcohol on sale here, this week 3 for $2. For 8 oz bottle I use approximately .5 - .8 oz Fo and the same amount of modifier/emulsifier, shake well. Then add equal parts water and Alcohol, shake and test to see if it is strong enough for you. You can always try the straight Alcohol, it would dry faster. Or buy it already mixed, lots of suppliers have it and if you can pick up that would be great.

On other threads about this the people with hard wood floors never really had a problem. It is the ones with the tile floors in the bathroom that stated this could be oily or greasy and could make people slip. Have you used this WSP base in a bathroom tile area? If so have you had any problems with it there?

I made a few batches of room spray with the cyclomethicone, It does leave little oil speckles on my countertop and floors. I am not making anymore room spray with the cyclomethicone, I am looking for other recipes. It is a nice product, but I don't like coating my things with an oily residue. Its doesn't dissipate fast enough for me.

Is WSP wholesale supply plus? The room spray base is about 7.50 per .15 gal? There directions only add FO. Am I mixed up as to your recipe? I think you wrote that you use FO and modifier/emulsifier and then add equal parts water/alcohol.

Edited by PrimBeginnings
found it

I am curious too how to make it with the fragrance modifier , I'm not used to using a modifer, which one do you use. I know there is more than one polysorbate I think.

Would love an alcohol fo modifier recipe.

I'm thinking of adding them also, seems easy enough to put in aluminum spray bottles.

• 2 months later...
I am curious too how to make it with the fragrance modifier , I'm not used to using a modifer, which one do you use. I know there is more than one polysorbate I think.

Would love an alcohol fo modifier recipe.

I'm thinking of adding them also, seems easy enough to put in aluminum spray bottles.

modifier/emulsifier/polysorbate, either should do the trick. Making the FO mix with the water and alcohol. I have used the modifier from Jody's, WSP [Wholesale Supply Plus] and a few others plus used polysorbate for years.

I don't have a recipe per-say. For a room spray not body spray. About 1/2 oz of FO to 1/2 oz modifier shake well, fill remainder of bottle (8oz) with equal parts distilled water and alcohol. I would say you do not need a preservative using distilled water.

Anything with water even distilled will need to have a preservative.

I'm not sure that's right. There is no preservative in Distilled water and it is sold.

If you know that to be true then what kind and how much per 8 oz of finished room spray?

Edited by Sharon in KY

Once you open water even Sterile water it comes in contact with all airborne germs . It is also a breeding ground for germs . When you drink water you are able to fight off many germs naturally , but if it does become over contaminated than you could get sick.

That being said you'd want to use a preservative that matches what you are making, Germaben II would work in a high water formula at a rate of 0.3% - 1%. You can research many different perservatives at places like Lotion Crafters & Snow Drift Farms.

HTH

Carol

• 2 weeks later...