How do you label your soaps?

Lorrie

:tiptoe: Maybe I need to go back and verify, but I thought it was a requirement to list INCI on your product labeling if you are selling/marketing to the public...

If you live in the US, no ingredients even need to be listed at all as long as your product is true soap (oils mixed with lye) and you are making no health claims. In other countries they have different labeling laws.

MarieJeanette

If you live in the US, no ingredients even need to be listed at all as long as your product is true soap (oils mixed with lye) and you are making no health claims. In other countries they have different labeling laws.

MarieJeanette

Thank you for clarifying. As I make both soap and other b&b products, I use INCI on everything.

I was at a show this weekend and I met another person who makes soaps. I look at their labels and they were mixed with INCI and common names. So it got me thinking do other people do this also?

I use common names because not everyone knows the INCI name.

I use the common names, except you can't have Vit. E on a label ya know ... not as Vitamin E that is unless you're drug approved.

Also learned in PA, that I can't have everything on one label either (totally pbbbbth) so I have had to separate the ingredient list from the rest of the label and go back to two labels to avoid wasting too many single sheets.

Also learned in PA, that I can't have everything on one label either (totally pbbbbth) so I have had to separate the ingredient list from the rest of the label and go back to two labels to avoid wasting too many single sheets.

Ok, what do you mean by this Scented? Are you saying that you have to have a separate label just for the ingredients. If so crap. I need to redo mine.

Well as I understand it, yes. Mind you, I don't want to understand it that way, but ...

As I understand it, and maybe Kelly will either qualify this or tell me I misunderstood lol, but ...

Have to have the name of the product, name and location of manufacturer or distributor, net quantity of contents in weight, volume or count and in metric and inch/pound units (for true soap) ... and on another label, the ingredients (if you're listing them) either on the side or the back. Now I tried to weezle out an OK to keep it all on one label and still got this no answer lol. If you are going to list ingredients, they need to be separate. Maybe someone else at the PA gathering will respond, but it was in Kelly Bloom's presentation.

I have a question: Do you list LYE on your igediants list? Lye is USED to create soap but there's no lye in the end product od the soap. I've seen it with and without lye listed in the ingrediants.

I personally use the following on my labels:

Sapified oils of Olive, Rice Bran, PKO, Soy. Also contains Distilled water, Dead Sea Mud or oats, silk and fragrance oils

If you are going to list Sodium Hydroxcide, where would you list it?

I put saponified oils of.... as well. There is no need to put lye on there because there isn't any. And actually there is no more olive oil, etc. either. Excepting what is left over after superfat. This is why it is not required for us to have ingredients on our soap at all anyway as long as we are selling it as just "soap". I list my ingredients as a courtesy as people want to know, but again, just by saying "saponified" I am indicating a chemical change happened to the listed ingredients anyway, so now they are just soap.

Listing something that's not in the product seems to defy the whole point of an ingredient list. I don't understand how that's justifiable.

If you make soap out of tallow, the ingredient list is where you tell consumers that they're buying sodium tallowate or saponified tallow. It's not supposed to be a chemistry manual or soapmaking lesson. The product doesn't contain tallow or sodium hydroxide.

I'm sure this is an old discussion that I haven't really followed, but it seems obvious to me what the correct ingredient list is. I have to believe that's consistent with the legal definition of ingredients as well.