Permatex

It is just amazing how much I have learned in one month. Thought I knew more than I did that's for sure. Thanks to Stella I have picked up a tube of Permatex RED. I read that is hardens in one hour and cures in 24. Do you really have to wait 24 hours to pour? Thanks again :smiley2:

Permatex® 1372 High Temperature Form-A-Gasket® Sealant

Slow setting, non-hardening, high temperature sealant. Especially recommended for heavy-duty applications. Temperature range -65°F to 600°F (-54°C to 315°C) intermittent. Resists common shop fluids.

Suggested Applications: Coating and sealing exhaust gaskets, flanges and connections, and other heavy duty applications.

sticks your wick.

Why don't you just buy wick stickers from Candlemaker's Store. I haven't had a sticker come loose all year. They are excellent. Carole

I just checked them out ... I dont see anywhere how much heat they can take. Do you know?

How hot are you pouring your wax (I would assume palm?) Carole

Hi Carol, I don't know if you were talking to me or not, but I pour my wax (Palm) at 200 degrees. I used to heat the jars in the oven, at 180 degrees, that caused problems even more with the stickers coming loose. I no longer heat them in the oven, now I use the heat gun. Seams like no matter which way I went, those little stinkers would find a way to come loose and drive me insane, but that's ok, I didn't have far to go anyway!

I use glue sticks. I pour 4630 wax in jars. I have never had a wick tab come loose.

I used glue sticks as well. But i have had wicks float when I power burn. I never knew about the Permetex until joining the forum and reading Stella's posts. I was hoping to be able to pour earlier than 24 hours . I will wait though because I want to be safe.

I also used high heat glue sticks with no problems and then all of a sudden my wicks would pull loose after pouring. I had changed nothing. I too learned of Permatex from Stella here on CT and have since had NO wicks come loose. I do still use hot glue for testers. What a great find.

The Permatex does stink............but what a small price to pay for safety.

Dave

They do set pretty quick and it seems as though you could pour sooner, however it says full cure in 24 hours so for safety purposes I do wait the full 24 hours. Since that is the reason I switched to the Permatex in the first place. I also had never tried the Wick Stick Ums because I was reading that people were having the same issue with them as I was having with the hot glue gun. So why even try them. It seems the only two methods that seem to consistently not come un-done were the Permatex RTV and the GE Silicone. I am now a believer in the safety of my candles is #1. And it was a pain having wick assemblies coming loose while pouring.

Dave

Power burning is a very scarey thing. I will NOT burn a candle when the jar is real hot or the wax is total liquid. Do a search on here about wax catching fire. That's why I was asking about why you needed such a high temp sealer. If the stickum comes loose at 400 degrees and the wick drowns out or moves, it's time to let the candle cool down. Most new candle makers wick way too big. I was guilty of that until I had some tins catch fire. Carole

Ask Stella about the work we did on catching wax on fire.

Edited by bugtussle

I was pouring at temps under 200 degrees. Jars were cleaned and glue gun glue sticks were high temp type. I was having wick tabs coming unglued during pour. Out of the blue. I had changed nothing. Now with such a high temp of the RTV, not only are my tabs staying put, I can rest assured that when people do burn in a non safe manner (such as power burning), I will be able to rest a little easier knowing I have a few hundred degrees of wiggle room.

Dave

I read that is hardens in one hour and cures in 24. Do you really have to wait 24 hours to pour?

Nope. It sets up in an hour - two hours, max. If you were replacing your head gasket, I'd say wait the full 24 hours, but we're just stickin' wicks. I wait 2-3 hours because I twist my wicks, but unless you do that, the glue is set enough after an hour or so to go on ahead and pour. I normally wick in the morning and pour in the evening or wick in the evening and pour the next morning. When I go on a "wickathon," I wick up dozens at a time so I can really ROLL when I pour. I cover them with plastic or newspaper to keep out dust, dog, cat & yeti fur.

I did find some REALLY high temp hot glue sticks once, which I was really excited about until I saw I'd have to order, like, a metric ton of 'em! And they were not inexpensive... *faint* I'll keep looking and will let y'all know if I find a more reasonable deal.

I think the "normal" high temp glue is my favorite for testing - the wicks USUALLY stay in place and the wicktab seal doesn't USUALLY fail, but I just don't have good luck with those stickums. They are way too "hit and miss" for me... whether it's pouring palm wax or powerburning, those things let go of the wicktab altogether or allow it to soften enough to "leak" and suck almost every drop of liquid wax from the container way too often for comfort!

Ask Stella about the work we did on catching wax on fire.

We really did TRY!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:It's danged hard to get the entire surface of the wax to catch on fire!!! Since my thermometer crapped out as the temp was still rising (and I couldn't use it anymore anyway cause my fingers were frying from trying to hold it in the hot wax), I figured that glue that won't fail at 600°F or below should be a safe bet. If a candle's temp gets higher than that, the house is already gone anyway 'cause paper goes up at 451°F...smiley_fire.gif

Many folks never experience a wicktab coming loose because they burn candles responsibly. I am wicking for the idiots who light 'em and forget 'em (Hey! I resemble that remark!). Hopefully, they won't have any problems and will not attempt sue me back into the stone age if they somehow manage to burn down their house using one of my candles... :shocked2: