customer advice need

Do you guys ever have those customers that send a shiver up your back or your insurance company?

I had a customer call me today that made me speechless.

Picture this: she had bought some refresher oils from me for some potpourri(or at least that's what I thought it was for), went to Hobby Lobby and bought wax, a jar and some wicks. She follow the directions for melting the wax, added the refresher oil, and then inserted the wick. She waited for it to harden up and then lite it.

After the candle had been burning for a while she called me to say it didn't smell like my candles then wondered if the candle was done correctly or if they were safe. :P

Now I mix may refresher oils with just DPG and fragrance.

:tiptoe:How dangerous is the candle she made?

Sleepless in Iowa,

Kim

P.S. I did tell her that refresher oils aren't meant to be in candles and I offered to make her a candle for free to show her the difference, but she seemed to be offended. I also recommend that she do some research if she wanted to make candles herself before she tries to make any more.

That is crazy! I can't believe she called you and told you what she did and asked if it was safe. Just CRAZY!!!

IMO I don't think I would be showing her how to make candles. I would tell her about this crazy new thing called "g00gle".

Someone like that would end up on my never sell to again list fast!:laugh2:

Edited by WendyByTheBay

Tried that last year with her sister when poured hot wax on herself from a candle and asked why it made her skin turn red.

Have to laugh at the family and worry about any children that they make.

Kim

And yet another need for another warning label huh??

There ought to be a little book of warnings to include everything :) and everything that anyone could ever do.

Its amazing what people come up with. I read in a coffee house news article about this woman who put her RV on cruise control and got up and made a sandwhich and crashed - she sued the company for failing to explain that cruise control was not an automatic pilot device--- and won. Now theyh have to explain that in all vehicles that have cruise control.

Hope it turns out fine

~*Sarah*~

***shakes head***

And people wonder WHY I go to such lengths to explain things to folks... Ya never know who is reading what or what ideas they have in their heads! It may seem insulting sometimes to go over things from A to Z like we're all in kindergarten, but one can never ASSuME that people really DO understand. And that's HERE where there is so much information! I cannot imagine people undertaking to do things without doing any reasonable amount of research, but it happens every day and some of those events become the ones we read in the paper or hear of on the television. I am so glad that at least you had a chance to warn the woman to slow down and do some research before she hurts herself or others.

I'd explain to her that candle making requires lots of research and trial and error. That there is a formula invloved and safety rules that need to be adhered to. Then offer to teach her how to make them...for $50-75 PLUS supplies (going rate I see online). Chances are she'll balk at that price...she is trying to make them herself because she wants them cheaper than buying them. :P

Trudi

I'd explain to her that candle making requires lots of research and trial and error. That there is a formula invloved and safety rules that need to be adhered to. Then offer to teach her how to make them...for $50-75 PLUS supplies (going rate I see online). Chances are she'll balk at that price...she is trying to make them herself because she wants them cheaper than buying them. :P

Trudi

Why train someone to compete against your own sales? I hope that price you quoted is PER HOUR OF INSTRUCTION! $75.00 per hour is cheap! Then you tell them about liability insurance and explain they must have it in place prior to any training session! That'll discourage her big time. Never train idiots. They will burn down their own homes and blame you!:lipsrseal