Coconut oil in a parasoy blend

I'm sorry! I think you called/emailed when I was on vacation then I forgot to call you back! My busy season has started and I'm expecting to order soon but am hoping to wait long enough to see this new wax!!

OK...I will let it go...this time! FYI on planning - Availability of the new wax blend will likely be mid to end of Sept. at the earliest.

• 4 weeks later...

Testing has gone well so far. Burn and throw meet expectations. Glass adhesion has been better than expected - kinda hate to mention that, because it could be just in the right pouring conditions at the moment. Additional testing will bear that out. Hope to have product to see within a month. Will update more as details emerge.

Brad

I honestly believe that CO makes a difference in the CT and the HT in candles, either with pariffin or without, but a little bit doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

I have never tried like an oz.. I think I am going to go pour 1 with an oz to a # and see what happens.... I had to reread the thread and I was like OMG.... That much to 10 oz.....LOL But its worth a shot..:P

Emily

I have never tried like an oz.. I think I am going to go pour 1 with an oz to a # and see what happens.... I had to reread the thread and I was like OMG.... That much to 10 oz.....LOL But its worth a shot..

If you're too wary about the full oz, use at least a Tablespoon to make the difference.

I have never tried like an oz.. I think I am going to go pour 1 with an oz to a # and see what happens.... I had to reread the thread and I was like OMG.... That much to 10 oz.....LOL But its worth a shot..

If you're too wary about the full oz, use at least a Tablespoon to make the difference.

I tested up to 2 tsp per # in 464 at one point but then I switched to paraffin and wasn't sure if it would help then.. Have been meaning to try it like forever...LOL

Would I need to wick up/down??? using with 85/j223 15/464???

Thanks..

Emily

It makes the wax softer and because I use soy and 4627, I have an extra creamy candle. It hardens up enough to keep the wick up and all but there is a definite difference. The candle sets up quicker as well. Alone, CO seems to melt quite easy - even sticking it by a light melts it in the jug, but I didn't find that in the finished candle at all. I would think it would bring down the total burn time a bit but I just take a general notation not specifics in how many hours of burn there are in the candles.

I wanted to play and so I mad up a status jar with 6 oz 223 and 1 oz CO with a scent that I couldn't get strong ST with....

Well I was very impressed with the ST after a 12 hour cure however it did not help my adhesion to the jars....And I think I need to wick up at that.

I going to experiment some more... thanks for new thoughts on CO!!!!

Emily

Willowboo, do you suggest substituting the CO for an equal quantity of wax, or adding it as something additional? The first way meaning you end up with the same weight of wax etc. in the end, the latter meaning you'd end up with your overall wax etc. being heavier by the amount of coconut oil.

Do you add the coconut oil in to melt with the wax for the entire time the wax is melting, or do you stir it in when adding color and scent?

I don't account for the co weight. In other words, I make enough to fill my containers and the co is extra - it only makes a small bit of difference when you pour. I never have to repour. If you're making a lot of candles at one time you may have to consider that and the total amount of co you are adding. I only make 4 candles at a time. I'm very small time! I add the co before I pour it from my presto pot into my pour pot and right before the fragrance.

Testing has gone well so far. Burn and throw meet expectations. Glass adhesion has been better than expected - kinda hate to mention that, because it could be just in the right pouring conditions at the moment. Additional testing will bear that out. Hope to have product to see within a month. Will update more as details emerge.

Brad

Any updates?

• 1 month later...

One of my friends got a coconut blend votive I made after this post, told me today it was the strongest she'd gotten yet from me, and dammit wouldn't you know I didn't write that exact wax/coconut formula down. Of all the detailed notes I've made, I omitted THAT one. :mad:

I'm a little surprised as I was dubious but willing to try this. I guess I'll go try some more!