Rustics/Mottled candles

JudyN

I use polycarbonate molds, I don't get much rustic because pillars come out of the mold with a shiny surface, but chilling them (I put them in the fridge) helps me to have a better frost effect, frost remains on the candle and not in the mold.

Maybe with metal molds chilling is not so helpful!

Actually for my rustics, I DO chill the mold in the freezer for about an hour and then pour at an even cooler temp than most (around 125-120*) and they look great plus I get the frost, but it's splotchy sort of because some of it DOES stick to the mold.

I think it's a matter of personal choice, try it out and see what happens. If it doesn't work, cool. If it does, cool. Either way, you won't know seriously until you try one way or the other.

I do chill my mold a bit and slosh the wax around quite a bit. However the temp of the wax is the key as others have said. The other day I was pouring layers and got impatient and poured the second layer at 160. The first layer poured at 145 was great, the second layer smooth - yuk!