Soy Red Color Problem

Hi all! I am making about 40 soy containers for my cousin's shower, and I must have them done by Saturday - before that actually so they can cure. Anyhow, I am so frustrated about the coloring. I am using red dye chips and I cannot achieve a red color for the life of me! I am by no means an expert candle maker, I have been doing it as a hobby and for friends & family for about 3 years now. I bought wax from moonglow, the 'best' wax they have with the additive. It's called enchanted lites soywax I believe. Anyway, the color is more of a pinkish - mauve, definitely NOT red. Can anyone offer me any advice? It would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance. -Carly

You could try to darken it with a bit of black, however that may not make the red you are looking for. I get a great true red color with cinnamon red dye chips in soy wax. Usually 1 per pound does pretty good, sometimes I'll add alittle more to get it darker.

hth,

amanda

Liquid dyes are far more concentrated. I'm not sure if Pryme colors are still available, but they make a nice intense red. I use EVO colors also, I haven't tried their red yet, cuz I still have Pryme red. But EVO colors are very dark and they don't smell bad. You can get them from candlewic

Assuming 4 cups is about a pound in weight, you will probably need at least 8 drops for a true red. Put a little on wax paper and let it harden before pouring to see if you're happy with the color. I usually pour some into a white souffle cup.

Soy is naturally white, so achieving a dark value color (like red) is difficult. Red is also a color that promotes frosting, so by the time you use enough dye to get a nice, deep red, the frosting can be scary!

For deep colors, I like to use palm wax. Frosting isn't an issue and I can get really pure, deep colors with it! HTH :)

OK Guys - I finally got done with half of them. The color is acceptable to my cousin and myself (I suppose) I will try the palm wax next time. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good supplier? I had to use quite a bit of dye, and I am now worried about frosting. They have been curing for a few hours now and there is very little frosting on the top. Hopefully it will stay that way. Thank you all for all of the wonderful advice - I will most definitely be back the next time I need help. Thanks again - Carly

OK Guys - I finally got done with half of them. The color is acceptable to my cousin and myself (I suppose) I will try the palm wax next time. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good supplier? I had to use quite a bit of dye, and I am now worried about frosting. They have been curing for a few hours now and there is very little frosting on the top. Hopefully it will stay that way. Thank you all for all of the wonderful advice - I will most definitely be back the next time I need help. Thanks again - Carly

Where are you located at? There is a "supplier by state" link around here....here you go:

http://www.suppliersbystate.com/state-listings.php

• 2 weeks later...