ready to give out tester bars, what size??

dogmom1

i finally have some soap that's ready to give out for testing. what size bars do you give to your testers? i don't want to look cheap, but at the same time.....

i'm using shoe boxes for molds right now, so i can cut pretty much any size. the thickness is about an inch or a bit more, depending on which shoe box is available and which is already in use! LOL if there's a bigger or smaller piece, that's fine 'cause i'm using them myself and i don't care!

tia for any suggestions!

See.. that's what I thought. I mean, I'm sure if you use lots of tape, wax paper, plastic wraps, and so on it would work, but why go through the hassle and expensive, when M&P molds are super cheap.

Just make sure that you have something in there pretty liquid proof or it will seep out. I use plastic wrap in a small cardboard box when me and my kiddo make M&P soaps.

Make sure you tape it to the box tho:laugh2:, big potential mess if ya don't.

See.. that's what I thought. I mean, I'm sure if you use lots of tape, wax paper, plastic wraps, and so on it would work, but why go through the hassle and expensive, when M&P molds are super cheap.

The molds are cheap, but I tend to not like the same size bars that everyone else has. Not to mention I've got issues & with what I think is a touch of AADD, I get bored really fast making the same size all the time. It takes the same amount of supplies and time to line a mold for mp as it does for cp.

A huge roll of freezer paper cost me 3 bucks from the restaurant supply warehouse. 2 minutes to line whatever, pour the soap and I'm done. Plus, the freezer paper keeps the soap clean and dry until I'm ready to wrap it.

Try it. You'll be surprised at the different sizes to make your soap stand out.

We don't do that much M&P, it's something my kiddo likes to do for fun sometimes. We sometimes use the small box for embeds/chunks. M&P molds seem to not last long around my house. Maybe one of these days I'll buy some good ones instead of the cheapo's at the Hobby Lobby.

I was just issuing a warning to those not too familiar with M&P and just looking to play around with it:).

I use a silicone mold I bought at michaels, its a mini brownie pan. I've used it for both CP and MP.. it makes a .75oz bar, I keep them at my sink and they last about 2-4 days with a family of four washing their hands with them. I think they are 1"x1" squares, about 1/2" deep. Seem small, but customers seem to love them.

thanx everyone for answering! i think for now i'll cut the bars i've already made in half, except for family, they'll get the regular size.

of course right now different batches already have made different size bars, since i've been using different shoe boxes along the way! :wink2:

I make testers in a log mold. I cut the log in half lengthwise and cut each of those into 1/2 bars. They come out just a little larger than a hotel bar. I actually make those for a friend that owns a condo at a ski resort. They are perfect for her weekend renters.

I'm with Fire and Ice. ................... ................... ....................................................... full size bars for me. Only because I also want feedback on the grip of the bar, how it feels in your hand, is it too big for the first few uses, how long did it last for you (included is how you soap up) ................... ................... ........................ ........ ..... ... . . . . . . . . . . . . .... ........................My soaps are also about 5 oz. For free sampls I cut them in half.

• 2 weeks later...

TLC and fire, i wish i had read your replies before i cut the soap! i definitely get your point. and thanks to everyone for answering and giving me ideas and sources for small freebies.

i know many do use smaller bars for testing. next batch that i cut, i think i'll cut mostly good size bars, and maybe cut a few in half to give to people that i'm not so sure will "report" well.

i mean give me an honest review of the soap qualities, not just wash and say yeh, it's really nice. of course, once they've had one tester. the next time around, those people will either get a full size bar..... or NO bar at all!

thanks all!

ei