Do you think switching to soy would help me not get a headache when buring candles?

I have been getting headaches with testing candles. I am using Acu Para 30 (70% para 30% soy) with 6% FO. I have been testing 4 candles at a time for 3 hours at a time. I don't know if it's because I have been testing too many candles or if it's the FO or if it's possibly the paraffin. Do you guys know if there is any evidence to suggest or reason to think that switching to a "cleaner" burning wax would help with this? I do get migraines at times and have been having a lot more headaches since starting to test these container candles. I don't want to give up candle making but I don't want to feel horrible every time I burn one either. What do you think?

It's more likely your FO's, not necessarily the wax causing the problem. So, no switching to soy would probably not help. You may just be one of those people that can't tolerate the chemicals in the FO's and shouldn't be burning scented candles. The best way for you to test that theory is to burn a totally unscented candle and see how it affects you.

I have really sensitive lungs and throat. I get really bad lung congestion and soreness in my chest if I test like you are talking about. I also get a scratchy throat.

I've had to back off power testing and just burn testers like a normal person would burn their candles. I can test a couple candles per day, and for about 3-4 hours at a time. Sometimes I give myself a break here and there so I'm not smelling anything for a couple days. I also have to wear a respirator when making them, and when making soap. If I do this I am fine. I had times though when I thought I would have to give it up. It worked for me to just slow down.

And I've learned some of the particular scents I should stay away from and don't test them at all.

Yep, think I might have to be a "normal" person when it comes to testing my candles. I will try just one tomorrow and see if I still have the headache. Then if I do I will try an unscented one to see if it is the wax burning or the FO. I just got rid of my headache tonight with 4 ibuprofen and 2 excedrin migraine. Oh, and a bowl of ice cream :shocked2: ...what a nice combo.

Another thing I have to do is cover the unlit candles or store them somewhere so I have periods of time that I don't smell any FO at all. I'm not nearly as bad with EO.

Maybe the headaches are stress related too, since ice cream helped:D

Do you think switching to soy would help me not get a headache when buring candles?

No. I think the most likely scenario is that the FOs are triggering your migraines. I suggest you try the idea of burning unscented candles for a few weeks (not a few days!) and see if the incidence of migraines diminishes over that time period. If so, make unscented candles. If you really must have fragrance, after you've given your body a chance to restore itself from the effect of the FOs, you could test some EOs one at a time to see if you can tolerate some of them.

But honestly - your health is too important to risk!! Please talk with your allergist (or whomever you see for your migraines) about this problem you are having. I suspect that person knows a lot more about treating and preventing migraines than any of us do!

If you wanted to be sure that it was the FO (which is the most likely cause) make an unscented candle in the wax that you are using and burn that. Than you will have your answer :smiley2:

Good answer.. I get headaches from certain paraffin waxes, some have a fuel smell and give me an instant one. Never had that with any soy. Some berry and musk FO will do it too.