J-225...could I have the wrong wax??

Hi everyone! I know some of you played with J225 back when it first came to market. I happen to be near C&S and they carry it. I finally decided to get a slab and satisfy my curiosity. I have to say that I don't think what I received could possibly be J-225. Either that or their principle selling point is completely fabricated!!!

It says:

Astorlite® introduces the latest and greatest scent wax on the market! J-225 is a premium wax blend that holds more scent than any other wax. J-225 also allows the candle maker to use fragrances that, until now, have been off limits or considered to be of limited use because of fragrance leakage. J-225 has superior hot and cold fragrance throw, is smooth creamy and has excellent jar adhesion so there are no wet spots. Try your most difficult fragrance in Astorlite® J-225, you will find that it does not leak. If you want your candles to be stronger than anything else available - USE THIS WAX!!!!

So, I poured 1.5 oz of Snowtop Cinnamon Buns and 1.5 oz Hansel & Gretel (CS) into a warmed jars. Heated wax to 200, added fos each at 180, stirred for 2 minutes with wire wisk. Poured into warm jars, covered under a box. Both leaked oil within a day and both pulled almost completely away!!

I called C&S and they said that if they are both very heavy oils that maybe it can't hold 1.5 oz pp. They said try to cut it back. I did. Same thing (tried Cinnamon Buns only) same process but 1.25 oz pp. My j223 can hold this much, but this one leaked in less than a day and no adhesion. Called back questioning if I got the right wax. They said try 1% and pour into room temp jars. SERIOUSLY???

Here is what the IGI site says about this wax:

Level pour blend with good adherence to jar under optimal conditions. Can hold up to 10-12% fragrance, including difficult fragrances (i.e. Vanilla, Cinnimmon, and Spice types). Use higher dye concentrations to achieve vibrant colors.

What the heck? It is harder than J223 and it does pour up perfectly level (I liked that but that is about it!!).

Jenn

I think Jenn is talking about J225, not 223. I've never tried this wax Jenn, but I did read that it was a tad harder than the J223. I'm not sure what else it could be. Is it opaque or translucent? Did you ask C&S if it's possible that you received the wrong wax? I would insist on taking it backing and getting a new slab. According to the description, it should hold 1.5% FO without leakage. Aren't Vanillas etc... typically heavier scents? If they aren't willing to work with you, I would contact IGI tell them how your wax is performing, which is nothing like it's description. I'm curious to see how this unfolds. I was thinking of trying this wax a little while back.

Yes, canongirl, I do mean the 225. I currently use 223 and I am trying out the 225, but either it is NOTHING like they claim or I got the wrong wax. It is definitely not J223 that they gave me, I know that because it is harder, more yellow, and sets up differently. I have never used J50 but I wonder if it could be that. I called them twice, and the second time I asked them if they could have given me the wrong wax. Of course they said no. That is when they said to try 1 oz pp and pour into room temp jars. The slab cost twenty dollars, which is fine if I got what I expected, but not okay with me if I got something other than what I ordered.

This wax is leaking Cinnamon Buns at 1.25 oz pp, and leaking it within a day...J223 can hold this, so I have to believe this can't be J225.

I was curious if anyone else who tried the 225 found it to be this way, or did it really hold more?

Thanks everyone. Guess I am off to fight with C&S...

If it helps I've used this wax and also bought it from C&S when they were out of the other J waxes. It is a harder wax but I did not have any problems with it.

I heated the wax up to 185-190 and added FO at 180-185. I only use 1 oz FO per lb of wax thou. No seepage and had good H&C scent throw.

I think its way overpriced and not as nice as the the J223 or J50 waxes. But during the holiday season I had to get it when they were out of the others so its good in a pinch. I also mix it with soy for a parasoy blend so I did not experience any wax pulling away from the jar or wet spots.

Maybe try using less FO. Just because it says it can hold more FO doesn't mean you need to use more. I had great scent throw using just 1 oz per lb.

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up...

I emailed C&S a few weeks back. Krystal got back to me asking me exactly what happened and then she got back to me stating that Cindy thought it sounded possible that I did get something other than J225. She asked me to bring in what was left of my slab and also to bring in the candles I had trouble with.

I finally did that yesterday, and they agreed that it probably wasn't J225. They said maybe I got J50. They replaced the whole slab for me! I was happy with the way they handled it for me.

Now to play with the new wax and see what kind of results I get!

Jenn

Sorry you're having so much trouble with it. I'm rather surprised that C&S told you to try another method instead of just replacing it. When I've had problems with wax from them in the past, they've replaced it, no problem.

Hopefully your new slab will yield some better results!