Off-center wick pins

I have about 100 votive wick pins, purchased from various suppliers. many of them are significantly off-center, and some are just slightly off. I am not sure if they came that way, or if I damaged them.

Does anyone know how to fix them? I was thinking I could use my heat gun on the area where the stick is welded to the base until it warms enough to melt the welding, and then move it into place. Anyone try this?

I don't want to just pitch them and buy more.

I'm assuming that they are just bent, not that they are placed off center? if they are bent, You should be able to bend them slightly without hurting the weld. If they are bent alot heating will help, but I'm not sure a heat gun will provide enough heat. If I could see a picture of one of your bent ones I could tell you alot more about how to fix them.

Shane

At the bottom, where the stick joins the base, they are centered. But at the top of the stick, they are not centered completely. The stick should be straight, but it is tilted to one side. The stick itself is not bent, but the angle it makes with the base is not 90 degrees. I am not sure I am describing this right.

I would post a picture, but it is really hard to see. Maybe tonight I can try to take a picture of a perfect one, and an off-centered one.

How hot do you think it needs to get? My heat gun has a max of 1350 F. I have no experience with welding whatsoever. I guess I just need to try this and see how it goes.

I would not break the weld if the weld is centered. I would bend them so they are centered. Gently. But sometimes when you move the pin so it righ in one votive mold - it might not be right for another. So be careful, but I would not break the weld. I think you will end up with bigger problems. JMO

I have hundreds of votive wick pins and occasionally one gets banged about and becomes off center. No big deal, no lengthy discussion, just bend it back, it takes very little pressure to straighten it out. :cool2:

I have hundreds of votive wick pins and occasionally one gets banged about and becomes off center. No big deal, no lengthy discussion, just bend it back, it takes very little pressure to straighten it out. :cool2:

This is what I tried first, but they just seem to go back... maybe I am being too dainty.

I quit using votive wick pins long ago. I just buy centering wicks and no more problem.

When I used self-centering wicks, they'd still go off center. The wax pulls them in different directions as it is setting up.

• 2 weeks later...

I was being a bit too dainty. I guess I was afraid to break it. But if I warm the pins up in the toaster oven (set on lowest) for a bit, they are easier to bend around. I have straightened all of my pins! Thanks everyone!