Odds & Ends Containers?

Hi. Another newbie question...

I was watching a video on Martha Stewart's web site where Harry Slatkin of Slatkin & Co. candles was making some candles with her.

He said that, basically, any glass or chinaware can be used as a candle container as long as it passes the "thermal shock" test.

This amounts to pouring boiling water into the intended container. If the boiling water doesn't cause it to shatter, it's good to go for a candle.

If this is true, I'd love to pour candles for gifts for family & friends in some of the unique and unusual glassware I find at local flea markets, etc.

He said a few other things that weren't exactly kosher (like you need to boil the wax!) so I'm not sure this can be trusted.

What do you all think? Does this sound safe?

Hmm. I think that's a pretty in depth question. Here's my take on it...

Most jars that you can put boiling water in would work for candles, but you should still test.

Some jars that you can put boiling water in wouldn't work. I had a friend ask me if I could use old spice jars for candles because she wanted to recycle. Whereas I commended her efforts, I told her no because your average McCormick glass spice jar is too narrow. So whereas I'm 99% sure that jar would hold boiling water, I still wouldn't use it for a candle.

As for boiling wax? Well. Wax melting points can be NEAR the boiling point, but I really see no reason why you would want to get your wax to 212 degrees. I guess if you were trying a special effect that called for it or using a wax with an incredibly high melt point, maybe you'd get your wax that hot, but in general, no, I wouldn't suggest you boil your wax.

That's some bad advice. There are different grades of commercial glass that are intended for only one type of use. A juice glass might be fine with boiling water but not with 2-3 hours of hot wax. You can shatter any glass with an improperly wicked candle. Testing is your only way of knowing for sure how your combination of wax, wick and fo will affect the container.

212 F is the boiling point of water, not wax. The bp of a wax depends on its composition. The waxes I use (paraffins) have bp above that of water.

The problem with using a random container for a candle is that you usually only have one, and you would need that one for testing purposes. I suppose you could use your experience and make a guess for the wick, but we all know that isn't a great way to make a good candle.

212 F is the boiling point of water, not wax. The bp of a wax depends on its composition. The waxes I use (paraffins) have bp above that of water.

In a thread a while back, I torture tested some tins to see how hot it can get in there... I don't remember the exact temps I achieved, but they were well in excess of 212°F. Simply pouring boiling water into a container would not subject it to the same higher temps of a burning candle nor for the same duration of time. *shudder*

The problem with using a random container for a candle is that you usually only have one, and you would need that one for testing purposes. I suppose you could use your experience and make a guess for the wick, but we all know that isn't a great way to make a good candle.
That's a very good point, Camay! Unless one were using the container as a mold (the way one can do with votives sometimes, depending on the shape of the container), there would be no testing due diligence!

Another point would be if one were using a material other than glass - china, for example. How one could tell how much heat, say... a 60 year old teacup could handle would be hit-and-miss at best. *shudder*

Thumbs down on "boilng water boarding" as a container integrity test. :undecided

I realize that Camay, but 212 is a pretty well known number so I used it as a reference.

Thanks, once again for all of your very experienced, very reasoned opinions!

Yet again I see that it's all about testing, testing, testing.

I'm so glad I found this board.

(and lol at "boiling water boarding":laugh2:)

I also like to find unusual containers for candles but instead of making candles directly in the container, I will make a candle in one of my usual jars or tins and put that container in the unusual container. Hope that makes sense. It doesn't always work, of course, but sometimes it does. I think it's good to give new life to something old, as long as you can do it safely. :smiley2:

HTH

Deb