Seamed Glass Jars??

Hi, Board.

Another newbie here who's learned so much from just reading through the threads here.

I've been an on-and-off hobby candle maker for years and have recently been bitten by the bug again while doing a load of favors for a party.

I generally have used seamless tins but now want to kick it up a notch and try glass jars.

After searching the web, I settled on some straight sided and "cocoon" jars that aren't specifically sold as candle jars.

When they arrived, I was somewhat surprised at how 'seamed' they are, so much so that I went to my refrigerator and kitchen cabinets to check a bunch store-bought food-filled jars I have on hand and none seemed as seamed as the ones I received.

My questions are:

Is it safe to use prominently seamed jars for candles?

On one, I noticed a small bubble in the glass near the rim, is this safe to use?

Does anyone know a manufacture where I can get minimally seamed jars in relatively small quantities (less than 50)?

post-10969-139458454995_thumb.jpg

post-10969-139458454996_thumb.jpg

You have to be careful using glass jars that weren't made for candles because they might not be able to withstand the heat. You can get glassware at most candle supply sites and they usually sell them by the dozen.

HTH

Deb

Thanks for responding, Deb & Antonia.

See, I was trying to go for something a little different than the standard hex, jelly & apothecary I usually see.

I should have known better. If something different were safe to use, craftier hands than mine would have been using them by now!

Guess I have to figure out what else I can do with 48 jars...

So, has anyone used jars like in the pictures above, seams and all, without them exploding?:cheesy2:

I really love how they look. I've seen several people offering candles through Etsy using the straight sided jars like in my pic.

I did spend a few bucks on them and really don't want to waste, but, of course, safety comes first.

What would you do in my shoes?

Would you make candles in the jars or junk them?

The jars I get from my supplier are seamed. You're problem is going to be the bubble shape. That's gonna be tough to wick. You just can't tell about glass containers. I bought some really thick juice glasses from Dollar Tree and they broke every time they got hot. Testing really is a lifesaver. Seams are not pretty but that doesn't mean they aren't as sturdy as seamless. You pay more for first quality glass; which is usually seamless. Pour some up and test. If the glass seems to insulate well and there appears to be no problem; then they are probably ok. I wouldn't used damaged glass at all.

Thanks for your response, chuck.

I will go ahead and test the jars out as safely as I possibly can.

I realize now (after reading all of the good info in this forum) that the bubble jar will be tough to figure out the wick on.

Shows what a newbie I am, I went for "cute" rather than practical!:)

The really great thing about being new to a craft is that you aren't limited by what can and can't be. I don't know what kind of wax you are using or the type of wicks but I do know that many a popular item has been created out of curiosity and nerve. The jars may turn out to be just fine and not all that hard to wick. Who knows, unless you try. I started with votives and quickly jumped into all kinds of containers and waxes and wicks and was in love with the investigation of it all. I eventually could pick up a piece of glass and KNOW this will work or it won't. You will go through shops and dollars stores and be like a vulture circling for that great deal on some really nice containers. Some of it will work and some of it won't but when it does work; wow is that cool. Don't apologize for trying to think outside the box. Have fun, be safe and learn.

not sure where you got your jars from but I use a similar one like the one on the far right. I like the look also with the black lid. I have poured wax into them, pre heated them, melted down my no go ones etc and have not had a problem.

Also a good thing to contact the supplier tho to see if its safe to make candles in.

Good luck with your new endouver and have fun

I love the encouraging answers you're getting here--especially the one from Chuck. It is lots of fun experimenting!! I think sometimes when you've been doing something for several years you get in a bit of a rut and quite trying new things. I know I don't experiment nearly as much as I'd like to because when I get into the pouring room, I usually have something specific I need to make for an order or to get ready for a show or other occasion.

Have fun--just use common sense and keep a close eye on your testers and you'll love some of the things you'll create!

Jane

I agree, Jane, I've gotten such great encouragement & support here!

I'm feeling excited to play around and try new things.

Boy, are my family & friends going to be up to their ears in candles.:cheesy2:

Thank you chuck & all!

Gdawg, I'm glad to hear you've not had a problem with the straight sided jars.

I got mine from Freund Container & I will call them this week to ask about suitability.