Presto Pot

Just a note on Presto Pots....I have used mine for 10 years or more...love it...wouldn't use anything else. My only problem with it was filling my pour pots...so my husband made me these stands. He put small grooves in them for the feet of the pot...wont slip and I can put my pour pots under it.

Works for me!

PS

If you have a handy husband, brother or friend....or maybe you are handy yourself, here are the instructions to place the spigot.

http://www.candlecauldron.com/prestopot.html

post-541-139458454982_thumb.jpg

Georgia, I am sure there are many ways to elevate the Presto Pot. My concern would be for safety and would want to make sure that any stand was secure, strong and stable. You also need to be sure it could withstand some heat....the element on the bottom of the pot gets pretty hot.

I am confused.... I used a regular huge pot with about 1 to 2 inchs of water in the bottom of it and put in my melting pot? Am I not doing this right? I bought a First Time Virgin Candlemaking Kit...............lololol I know prolly shouldnt have bought that but I wanted to make my own candles and I dont have a clue as to what I am doing???? Should I go out and get a Presto Pot? What is the purpose of it? Whats with the spigots? I just poured my melted wax into the jelly jars. I didnt use a ladle or a measuring cup. As you can all see Im very new to this. TIA

Kim

There is a lot of discussion on the use of melting devices. I think all the questions you asked, pro & con have already been addressed in this and previous threads, which you can locate by using the search tool. Here's one of the more recent discussions... there are a LOT of 'em...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82523

HTH :)

Oh ok I read the other posts on the presto pot but in my eyes, I think it is just more things to clean up. Yes it may take a little longer using a double boiler but its easier and cleaner than a presto pot. Was telling my husband I need to go to Walmart and get a presto pot but not any longer. I guess if I was in business of selling candles then I guess the quicker the better but I am only doing this as a hobby. One question??? Wont the wax get stuck in the spigot after you are done melting it and pouring it in to the measuring cups? Just my thought. I used the hot water from the pot to clean out my pouring pot, was very easy to clean up afterwards.:cheesy2: :cheesy2:

No need to clean the presto pot. Any wax left over is just cooled in it to be reheated another day. I have one for votive wax and one for container wax.

The spigot doesn't get clogged up. The one on my 65# melters at my shop do clog up but I just hit them with my heat gun for about 20 seconds and it melts away.

The only cleaning up is the pour pot and my spatula I stir with. I clean up each different scent I pour with paper towels and then a dip in some hot soapy water and move onto the next scent. Takes all of about 30 seconds.

The presto pot has a thermostat so your wax is at a constant proper temp.

Yes it may take a little longer using a double boiler but its easier and cleaner than a presto pot.

LOL - with a double boiler, you clean TWO pots, dear! Having used this method for our first candles, I can honestly tell you that you are making things very hard for yourself!!

I never clean our Prestos. If I use all the wax, I simply wipe it out with paper towels. I don't use a spigot for mine - I ladle the wax into pouring pots (I don't use measuring cups - I weigh the containers on a scale as I pour). It's very hard to get waxes that must be poured hot (like palm wax) to reach temps of 190°F over a double boiler, particularly one with only a couple of inches of water in the bottom. The spigot heats up as the wax is heated and any wax in it is liquified.

I NEVER wash waxy items in my sink - the wax WILL clog the pipes! Utensils can be wiped immediately after using (while the wax is still liquid) or zapped with a heat gun to melt the wax, then wiped clean with paper towels.