I finally caved in to the Primera LX400

I got some samples in last year. Although they were very nice...I CANNOT afford that machine!lol. I'll stick to printing with my injet...seeing as my lables are black on clear..it is pretty inexpensive anyway....

Now if I ever change that or add a new product line, then I may have to lok at something else.

I hope I do love it ! I am so used to my Avery Design Pro I'm scared LOL!!!

I may have labels designed but I was wondering if the Primera works with Avery or any other label making program or only the one that comes with it..

I read some posts saying how the program it comes with was not that great.. Whats your opinion??

I haven't been able to get the printer to work with Avery Design Pro or any other program but then I haven't tried that hard and am anot very computer savvy. I haven't had any problems with the program that comes with the Primera. It's pretty comperable to Avery.

The website says it can be used with many other label software products, so I am fairly sure either it will work with Avery Software, or that you will be able to find someone that has gotten it to work with it. If not, there are usually ways around it, you just have to know what you are doing. I would look to see if there is a forum for Primera users. Usually someone on a forum like that should be able to help you. Let me know if there is anything I can help you out with. SteveG

I love my Primera, but never got it to work with Avery. If you call and talk with a tech at Primera they are very helpful. I have an

Apple and everything is different because of that, but I can design my own labels on it with Apple programs and have no problem. As someone else said, you do waste at least 2-3 labels each time. Good luck!

Rae

I know I'm so excited its supposed to arrive tommorrow:rolleyes2

I've been using Avery and Online labels waterproof ones for about 6 years now.. so this is a big change... I can't wait to see how they will look, I got the glossy labels... so no more non-glossy matte boring labels I hope!!

I'm thinking of getting a designer to help me make them look really good! Since I'm design challenged..

Well the Primera came in, what a nightmare so far

Well it will not work with my main computer, it is uncompatible with Windows Vista 64 bit.. :( So I had to hook up my old computer, which is slow just to be able to hook it up ..

I wish that would have been mentioned before I purchased.

And the label program it comes with is a joke, it will not even allow you to layer things. Its terrible, can't make a label with that... And the pro version is $500.00 :(

Well thankfully I just read you could use this with Printshop, has anyone done this?

My concern is, if I go buy Printshop etc.. then will it be able to print to the Primera automatically.. or will I have to do anything specific.? Also does anyone know if you can layer objects and set backgrounds in PrintShop ?

I'm used to Avery which is super advanced compared to this basic program from Primera...:angry2:

I'm crossing my fingers that Printshop will solve my problems..

I planned to get some labels designed but in the meantime I have this thing and cant print a decent label on it, can't even set a background with it :angry2:

I've thought several times about getting one of those printers, but have heard it's rather a difficult animal to tame! LOL

Have you tried calling Primera technical support? That's where I would start, let them tell you what to do and see if that works.

I've decided to keep my HP 2600N, it prints fabulous labels and it's cheaper...

Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Carrie

Hey RetroMetroChic...

Just looked at the system you bought... WOW...

It will be so nice once you get the bugs all worked out.

Maybe this label designer will work..

You can download a free trial and see if you like it.

I have been playing around with it and it is real easy to use.

Maybe it will work for your Primera????

Says it is compatible with all Windows. HTH

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Authoring-tools/Authoring-Related/Label-Designer-Plus-DELUXE.shtml

There have always been a lot of problems with Vista. None of my programs worked on Vista - had to redo the operating systems on both of my new office computers back to XP professional, that was a while ago, now they have downloads. Check with manufacturer to see if they have a download so you can make it compatible with your operating system. Also, how large is your ram?

Printshop is a relatively inexpensive program. Don't have it, but you can do a lot with it, I'm sure. Photoshop is expensive and you I know you can do everything with that, but it can be very confusing if you haven't been trained with it.

Thanks.. I contacted Primera and they did have a printer driver for Vista :) , I downloaded it and now it works with Vista !!!

Now I just need to find out if Printshop will work or not, the tech guy wasn't sure, he just knew it worked with Photoshop, Illustrator and MS Publisher.. None of which I have at the moment, and all of which would be a learning curve...

I've read one comment that it worked with printshop and one that it didn't... I can't get any info on that.. I guess I'll have to buy it and find out, since its far less costly than Photoshop..

• 1 year later...

I wanted to update my opinions on the Primera.

Well now that I've figured this thing out I could not live without it.

I love it the colors are so vibrant and I've just discovered I can order extreme waterproof labels. I need these for bath items.

I was scared to even try the round labels for a long time but once I did it really wasn't that bad. Once you figure out the crazy alignment system they have and make notes of the alignment for each label size this thing is just awesome.

Thanks for the update. It looks like such a great printer! I'm glad to hear that you've figured out the problems. Were you on your own to find solutions or did their customer support have most of the answers?