Speeding up cure time for CP

Jeana

I'm starting to get busier, and my stock is getting low. Waiting 4-6 weeks to cure is a very long time while restocking. I know I will need them before then. Is there any way to speed up curing for CP?

cpop still benefits from a cure period of at least 2 weeks, preferably 4.

but really any soap CAN be used once it's saponified - the cure period simply results in a significantly BETTER bar

True. Especially if you are selling...you'll have some very unhappy clients if they start using it right away and it melts away. I have on occassion put a sticker on the back of the bars stating a "Do Not Use Before ??/??/??" Usually only if it's a week early or so.

Ok so using less water is the only way to make them cure a little faster. That's what I was thinking I would have to do. I was hoping there was some other miracle technique to speed up the process.

I've been doing some goats milk and tea soaps so I've been using more liquids than I normally would, so they are taking longer to cure.

Is 50/50 - equal parts lye and water? How hard is that to work with?

I don't have a full size oven in my work space so I couldn't do CPOP. And if it only cuts down the process time by a couple weeks, that can be done by using less water, without using the extra electricity. Guess I stick with decreasing the water.

Thanks for the help :)

Years ago, before I started making my own CP soap, I ordered some handmade soap from someone who I read an article about their business. I ordered 1 or 2 bars of soap that they didn't have in stock and said they were making it that week and would mail the following week. I got the soap and it seemed normal. I didn't really know anything about cure time etc so I just thought this was normal, make soap, use it right away. The bars were hard so I have no idea how they got it ready so fast, and it was Cold Processed as described on their website. Years later I started making my own soap and couldn't figure out why mine was so soft to start with and took weeks to harden up. To this day I still scratch my head wondering how they could send me soap a week after it was made! :confused:

I have a friend who uses a dehumidifier to shorten cure time. A few years ago when she used this process extensively she did it in her bathroom. Of course this dehydrates the soap. I'll have to ask but think she only need a few days to get her soap ready to package and ship.

She talks now as she is expanding her soap room of a bank of closets with shelves for the soaps but enough room at the bottom for her humidifiers. I always thought her technique was rather clever!

Has anyone else tried this? I am trying this week getting soap ready for a show on the 2nd of April. I'll let you know how it goes for me.

Linda

Cedar, I had someone suggest a dehumidifyer to me. I can't figure out where I could put it. I'm very interested if it works for you. I'd just have to make room somewhere if it is worth it.

Imblebe, why do you have to cut it soon?

CBV1, I wonder if they would tell you how they can ship it so soon if you asked them?

Jeana - I just took everything out of my hall closet and had room for the two shelves I use to cure my soap in -- I set them facing each other on either end of this small closet. The dehumidifyer sits between these two shelves. Oh and the hallway smells soooo fresh!

Linda

I disagree with less water=faster cure. I do not think that using less water automatically speeds up cure. The benefit of using less water is that you will have less water in your end soap, which makes a harder bar faster, so you can cut it faster. But letting a CP (no matter how you make it) and HP cure for at least 4 weeks before selling is optimal. The soap get milder, will last longer in the rub, and will make customers happy.

After you start getting busier and start getting a feel for what soaps are the best sellers, make them in advance in preparation, or make larger/multiple batches at a time so they can get their full cure and you can still have your stock on hand (rather than waiting and then rushing to get them cured:cheesy2:.)

I thought I read somewhere that a dehumidifier is a very bad idea. What a dehumidifier does is pull the moisture from the air, sounds like a plan right? But if you live in a particularly moist area or if it is raining, etc, it will also pull the moisture from outside into the room as well. And pull that moisture right into your soap bar. I will have to try and find the article. I also saw it on TV when I was trying to find a fix for my damp basement and thought of getting a dehumidifier. Hardware store said bad idea, it will only make matters worse because the dehumidifier will pull in more moisture.

Its better to just put the soap in a cool dry place in your house and let it get its cure on whether you discount water or not. Nothing is better than a soap bar that actually got the appropriate cure time.

It's better to just put the soap in a cool dry place in your house and let it get its cure on whether you discount water or not. Nothing is better than a soap bar that actually got the appropriate cure time.

Thank you for giving the correct answer. Soap curing involves two processes, the evaporation of water and the dissipation of the lye. I would never consider selling soap that had cured for less than six weeks. As a soapmaker, you simply need to plan accordingly.

e

I to disagree with the dehumidifier also. And especially in the bathroom. Yikes. The dehumidifier pulls the air and everything with it. Like germs, dust, bacteria, and more. So every spec is being brought to where you soaps are curing. I know that trying to speed up the soaps would be nice, but I do think it is a process. I have tried to plan ahead, but sometimes, you dont expect to run out because of orders. Heat is always dehydrates items.( Like fruits) As to cure time for soap? I havent a clue.

Years ago, before I started making my own CP soap, I ordered some handmade soap from someone who I read an article about their business. I ordered 1 or 2 bars of soap that they didn't have in stock and said they were making it that week and would mail the following week. I got the soap and it seemed normal. I didn't really know anything about cure time etc so I just thought this was normal, make soap, use it right away. The bars were hard so I have no idea how they got it ready so fast, and it was Cold Processed as described on their website. Years later I started making my own soap and couldn't figure out why mine was so soft to start with and took weeks to harden up. To this day I still scratch my head wondering how they could send me soap a week after it was made! :confused:

Handcrafters generally make recipes that are too soft, mistakenly believing this makes them more mild and better for the skin. Some pretty popular ratios of fatty acids make soap that is more drying than it has to be, and soap that takes a long time to become as mild as it's going to get.

The two biggest things you can do to speed up cure time is to discount water and use a good recipe that doesn't take a long time to saponify fully.

As for dehumidifiers, they work great. Unless your model comes with a built-in black hole, the same amount of air comes out as goes in. As the air circulated through, moisture is removed, a little warmth is added, and if there's a filter then the air is also cleaned a bit. There's no way a dehumidifier can suck air into a room.

Will moisture still come in from outside? Sure. But unless the windows are open or something, the relative humidity in the room will remain lower than it otherwise would be. This is good for soap and other things, like keeping your wicking dry if you make candles.

Not sure why it would pull in extra moisture. I mean - it's not like it's opening your windows or anything.

I to disagree with the dehumidifier also. And especially in the bathroom. Yikes. The dehumidifier pulls the air and everything with it. Like germs, dust, bacteria, and more.

where do these germs, dust, bacteria, and more come from? the dehumidifier sucks in air from the room and then blows it out with less moisture - right? so what's the source beyond the air that's already in the room?

beware, tho - dehumidifers can generate a lot of heat which may increase the load on your AC, plus they can pull a lot of electricity making them potentially expensive...

I disagree with less water=faster cure. I do not think that using less water automatically speeds up cure. The benefit of using less water is that you will have less water in your end soap, which makes a harder bar faster, so you can cut it faster. But letting a CP (no matter how you make it) and HP cure for at least 4 weeks before selling is optimal. The soap get milder, will last longer in the rub, and will make customers happy.

After you start getting busier and start getting a feel for what soaps are the best sellers, make them in advance in preparation, or make larger/multiple batches at a time so they can get their full cure and you can still have your stock on hand (rather than waiting and then rushing to get them cured:cheesy2:.)

Thank you. Less water doesn't have anything to do with lye molecules and fat molecules combining to make the strings of molecules which is the definition of saponification. Less water may mean a harder bar quicker, but the time it takes for the lye and fat molecules to combine is static no matter how many novices want to be different. It's one of those things that get passed around forums that just isn't true.

Yes, it would be great to be able to sell CP soap after a week, but guess what? There are still lye molecules free floating around at that time which would be very drying to the skin.

If the article about water discount is read closely, the person contradicts themselves by saying that letting it "cure" longer will make the soap milder. Yes, that is because more lye molecules are combining with fat molecules and not drying out the skin. ta da.

If a person really wants a one week cure soap in order to get the soap out to sell in that time, then consider HP.

but the time it takes for the lye and fat molecules to combine is static no matter how many novices want to be different.

It's not at all static. It varies quite a lot depending on how much of which oils you use. It can make a difference between soap that reaches full mildness in a few weeks versus months.

I don't agree, but that's fine. It's the science I'm talking about. And the science says it takes a certain amount of time for fat molecules, no matter what fat it is, to connect with lye molecules to make the chains. I talked with a few chemists about this and the information was confirmed.

I know that people want to believe otherwise, but the science proves it.

I"m not poking at any one person in particular. I'm stating fact.