what type of license you have

Greek

did you have to acquire a license to start your business? i live in nj but i can't seem to find any info. i called several departments and they keep giving me the run around, i was even told that i may not need a license to sell soaps, bb and candles. i want to make sure that is the case. do some state not have that requirement? im presently on the phone with the clerk office for zoning conditions.

Every place is different. I don't need a business license here in Mullan, ID. I did get a tax number, my domain name from godaddy, and I registered my business name with the state.

I called the city clerk for the information that I needed.

It really does depend on where you live where my shop is all I need is a state and city tax license but where I actually have a house and where my business started I had to have a state tax license and a city business license.

Contact your local chamber of commerce that can be most helpful.

I think you'll find this site useful.

http://www.nj.gov/njbusiness/starting/

At first glance, it doesn't look as though you need any type of license to sell soap, etc., however there are about 165 pages of licenses available, so be sure to check them all. It is a shame, but it's frequently the case when working with any government entity that employees don't have a clue what they're talking about, so the more research you can do on your own, the better off you'll be. The only one that will be accountable for any errors and responsible for any fines is you, no matter what an employee tells you!

When I started my business I looked up the Small Business Administration online. They have a section that helps you find the local affiliate in your area. I called them and made an appointment and got all the info I needed to start out.

They also teach business classes there so I was glad I looked them up. The SBA is a great resource for small businesses.