My website - improved - thank you again perlgoodies!!!

guppygirl

Hi All!

I've just had my site redone & have worked out most of the bugs. Most of the links should be working now except some on the main product pages - I just haven't had time to build those pages.

If you get a chance, please give me any feedback - good, bad, ugly, I can take it! Also, if you would, please let me know what kind of connection you have & what browser you're using.

Thanks!

Dee

http://www.soyshine.com

I also used DSL and your pages loaded quickly. The site looks very good. Are you going to be making any more containers after the discontinued ones are sold? The ones you pictured on the website were really pretty!

After reviewing your site, this is what I've found:

1) Your contact page has e-mail addresses but no contact form. This is very unprofessional. Remove the e-mail addresses and create a contact form. It is easier for them and safer for you. Keep the phone numbers available.

2) There is no meta content on any of the pages. This page is not suitable for search engine placement. If you want people to find your web site through Google, you'll need to add meta tags.

3) Your order form buttons take visitors off your page. You need to find a different shopping cart system. The user should never leave your site in order to order products.

4) Some pages have a different template. I think you are still working on this though.

Good job and good luck with your web site.

After reviewing your site, this is what I've found:

1) Your contact page has e-mail addresses but no contact form. This is very unprofessional. Remove the e-mail addresses and create a contact form. It is easier for them and safer for you. Keep the phone numbers available.

2) There is no meta content on any of the pages. This page is not suitable for search engine placement. If you want people to find your web site through Google, you'll need to add meta tags.

3) Your order form buttons take visitors off your page. You need to find a different shopping cart system. The user should never leave your site in order to order products.

4) Some pages have a different template. I think you are still working on this though.

Good job and good luck with your web site.

Thanks a bunch for the pointers - that's what I was looking for (thank you to everyone else for responding too! I appreciate all feedback!)

As for #1 - I'll get right on that as soon as I find that chapter in Dreamweaver MX for Dummies. #2 is taken care of, thanks, I forgot about that! #3... er... Mals is the only free one I know of, so if there's a free cart that keeps people at my site, please share!

As for #4 - that's on purpose! I didn't like how the other template looked with the same banner. I'm sure I'll tweak things after the holidays though LOL!

Thanks a bunch for the pointers - that's what I was looking for (thank you to everyone else for responding too! I appreciate all feedback!)

As for #1 - I'll get right on that as soon as I find that chapter in Dreamweaver MX for Dummies. #2 is taken care of, thanks, I forgot about that! #3... er... Mals is the only free one I know of, so if there's a free cart that keeps people at my site, please share!

As for #4 - that's on purpose! I didn't like how the other template looked with the same banner. I'm sure I'll tweak things after the holidays though LOL!

You won't find form creation for dummies :P HTML cannot process forms. HTML is for presentation, it takes a script backbone in order to process the data. You could use Perl/CGI, ASP, PHP (don't, PHP is slow and extremely insecure), CFM, etc.

PayPal has a free shopping cart system. The buttons open up in a new window as opposed to having the user moved from your web site.

As for the different templates--as much as some sites need to do this, it's never acceptable. Every page across a web site has to have the same overal appearance. If pages have different colors, sizes, etc., the entire site loses it's uniform look. In some cases, the different layouts can cause extra strain on the web visitor because the links keep moving around. In your case, you probably don't have to worry about confusing your visitors as much as you should worry about the aesthetics.

I would offer to custom create a Perl/CGI based contact form for you but it would require a little work on your end, too. All links for your contact page would need to be changed to either contact.shtml or contact.cgi . I could supply you a form that asks:

Name, Email, Message

Or if you wanted to ask for a phone number, I could do that, too. I wouldn't charge you anything for it and I do programming for a living. I tried to post an ad for this but I was declined by the admin, so I need to get a name for myself on CandleTech. So if you want a form, just let me know and we'll work out the details.

On the front page there is a typo-

wide varienty
is what it says. ;)

That's it for critisism from ME, everything looks really good, pics. are nice and big, and you explain everything very well, I like that. :)

Very professional, easy to navigate and loads fast.

GREAT JOB!! :thumbsup:

Actually when it's a "possesive" its should the apostrophe go AFTER the "s"?? Geesh, need to brush up on my grammar. ;)

Only when it's plural possessive. I think the typo was actually a missing word that was fixed before you saw it :pbut it could have also been the incorrect apostrophe. See, this is what I need you guys for!!!

Also, I had a "policies" page which explained ordering, payment methods & shipping, and completely forgot to transfer that to this site... now I have to figure out where to put that link!

I think everything else has been fixed... perlgoodies, I'll be in touch about the contact form. I've just been crazy busy with shows & home parties.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

I like it! Really nice and clean template.

Random suggestion from an anal surfer: I would advise making sure that all your "add to cart" buttons are completely uniform. I know that some items have fragrances and some don't, but it's confusing to the flow when the buttons seem to be at the side, then they're underneath the copy. Does that make sense? I would either move the add to cart underneath the fragrance selection box, or I would move the other add to carts to next to the price.

Also, another random little quirk, on the tealight tart melter page, I would advise taking the price and making it its own line - instead of the Description - $price way you have it now, so it would look like this:

Description

$12

Just my opinion, that really is a matter of taste - it would just really make it look even tidier.

Looks great, though - I'm a big fan!

Very nice, as a consumer I would suggest this: on your home page where you check out the "what's new (by the way, the what's new on the top of the page is missing the apostrophe) and the "new" and "limited edition" would be cool if you could just click on that link (if possible). Very nice job!