Weigh or Measure FO??

Always weigh Additives, FO's, wax... I think the only thing that isn't weighed often is dye. (and I could be wrong, but I use dye chips so it isn't necessary)

When you buy oils and look at them side by side some bottles may look fuller than other others. Some oils are "heavier" or "lighter" than others.

Suppliers sell you oils by weight not volume. There is quite a difference between the two.

Many suppliers sell scales also - just check 'em out. For my purposes, I look for a scale that has a tare feature, will measure in several increments (like grams, ounces, pounds & ounces, kilograms, etc.) and fractions thereof. If you search the forums for information about scales, there was a recent thread where folks recommended several brands. I have this one from Lone Star and like it very much. Have had zero difficulties with it.

After I weigh (on the scale) my wax, it seems to be less after I melt it

Do you mean that there appears to be less in the pot once it melts down? If so, that's because there is air space between the pieces before they melt. The melted liquid fills the spaces so the volume is less, although the weight should be the same.:)

Yes, your answer is weighing.

The issue with volume is most that measuring cups are scaled for water. Oils and water DO NOT weight the same for a given volume, and not all oils even weigh the same. If you tear out a measuring cup, pour in 16 ounces of water according to the cup and weigh it, it should be pretty close to 16 ounces. Now do the same thing with an FO and it will not weigh 16 ounces, even though the mark on the cup says it is.

Always use weight.

Yes, your answer is weighing.

The issue with volume is that most measuring cups are scaled for water. Oils and water DO NOT weight the same for a given volume, and not all oils even weigh the same. If you tear out a measuring cup, pour in 16 ounces of water according to the cup and weigh it, it should be pretty close to 16 ounces. Now do the same thing with an FO and it will not weigh 16 ounces, even though the mark on the cup says it is.

Always use weight.

It's true when people say that some FOs are thicker or heavier than others, so a given volume of different fragrances will vary in weight. The terminology is that the specific gravity (SG) of fragrance oil varies. The Scent Works actually prints the SG on the bottle. A specific gravity of 1 is the same as water. Less than that is lighter than water; more than 1 is heavier than water.

That's not the reason to weigh your fragrance oil though. Who says the wax and the wick care more about weight than volume? Besides, the amount to use is determined by testing each FO. The best amount is the best amount, regardless how you measure it.

The reason to weigh the FO is that weighing is more accurate and consistent, assuming you use the right scale for the job. Volume is harder to measure consistently. A proper scale can also allow you to make smaller adjustments to the amount.

On a professional level, candle formulas are usually designed and recorded based on the concentration of each ingredient as a percentage of the total candle weight. That method also requires everything to be weighed.

Weighing is the way to go, it's pretty easy to do and gives a more uniform product. I bought my digital scale on eBay for under $20, but I know that places like Wal-Mart have them for about the same price.

This is a good practice for your wax too, though admittedly I don't use a digital scale for my wax as I use mostly granules and am always afraid that a few stray granules might somehow get INTO the digital and mess it up. I bought a standard dial kitchen scale from Wal-Mart for under $10 and use that for my wax. Just to be on the safe side, I check the scale with a standard sized 1lb weight from time to time to make sure my granules haven't effected it.

I just wanted to add that the underlying physical characteristic we are talking about here is density (weight per volume). Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a given substance to the density of water; so it is a relative term. Density, and thus specific gravity, are temperature dependent terms.

I like to weigh FO for the reasons that Top stated. I can weigh FO with pretty good precision. Measuring by volume is comparatively imprecise.

Just FYI

We went through several scales that turned out to be junk. One of them was so unstable that it would change value a few decimal points if you looked at it cross eyed :confused: Once we bought a "My Weight" 7001DX from Willow Way (about $45), we never looked back. We have had it about seven months and love it. It goes up to 15.4lbs/7KG in .05oz/1gr increments.

Wayne, do you remember which brands gave you trouble?

Our first scale was a Walmart special that really was not too bad, but could not measure down to 1 gram. Sorry I don't remember that brand.

The second one turned out to be a surprise. I did not remember that brand either, so I looked up the paperwork. The brand is also "My Weigh", but was a model KD-7000. It was horrible. We used a 100 gram standard weight to test it and watched the readout vary from 98 to 109 grams (11 gram variance). We sent it back for a replacement, and got the same result so asked for a refund.

I did not realize until your question prompted me to look it up. The new scale that we love so much is also a "My Weigh" brand, but it is model 7001-DX. Wow, what a difference a number and a couple letters make. This 7001-DX is awesome.