Display ideas for farmers markets and fairs

Wildcrafter

I have been thinking about making less products this year. But the products I will make having more pop. I'm not sure where I'm going to pare down.

My scenting sprays didn't do well at all last year and take up valuable space. While the creams sell, I don't like making them.

I'm going to sit down and do a review and see what I come up with.

I like the grouping idea. One of my market managers told me to do grouping displays with products that go together. Like a soap and lotion bar in the same scent. Or soap and scenting spray (although I'm dropping my scenting sprays for this year). Just an idea.

I never really did this. This year, I'm going to do that and see how it goes.

I'm going to display with less tables and more small high displays that are easy for people to see. Many focal points to move to instead of having to look at everything on one or two tables. I already know to raise the displays because people don't like looking down and at a marketing seminar I went to, the teacher said to have your product between elbow and shoulder height for the best pop.

I have 3 antique ironing boards and am going to do things like pedestals and stairs on them. Not as many products per ironing board. And I have this really nice display thing. I have to take a picture of it because I can't describe it. But it's tall, about 6 ft and about 2 1/2 feet wide.

If you look at my website, you can see a pick of my soap table. I'm going to change that a bit as well. Break up the soaps instead of having the assembly line effect. I have some ideas for a few big chunky cut bars that I'm going to do this year.

Do any of you have display ideas for this year that you want to try out?

My son built a table top display for our jars. He painted it black and it really has made our jar candles "POP"! It also put everything UP and at a better level for viewing. Our jar sales did pick up, so we are going to have him make the stands for the votive/melt box displays.

Our candle baskets only sell well at home shows. We really need to look at some type of display for this year's craft shows - but I have no idea what. I just know that scattering them around our other displays is not working....

We are hoping to add some new scents to spark some interest. My pet project will be pillars - I just loved the pillars I tested this past fall, but my testing was not done in time for the fall shows.

My partner is concentrating on soap - she has always wanted to make soap!

I am hoping we will have at least a few soap scents and pillar scents to offer and see what the interest may be.

I increased my sales significantly when I upgraded my tabletop displays. I got some nice tablecloths that drap to the floor and have another tablecloth that I throw on top that offsets the floor length one.

I also purchased black wire table shelving and wooden display shelves for my candles. I still use the cardboard risers but I purchased some contact paper at the dollar store and now the risers look sharp. I found a 'pine wood' paper that would go well with my candle risers and a beautiful 'green marble' paper that makes my soap, lotions, and bath products look great.

The risers are perfect for lifting up candles at a higher level and displaying them nicely. Now with the pine wood look they look like real wooden risers.

The risers with the green marble have the effect of looking like a bathroom countertop and so people can see how the soaps and lotions look in a bathroom setting.

I also make frequent visits to dollar stores and other discount stores to find seasonal decor to use with my displays. I also look for cute baskets, soap dishes, platters, etc. for those odds and ends that I also sell or for just showing off one particular item by setting it apart.

My experience has been that if your displays are attractive, inviting, and well organized you will get a lot more sales. It also helps to smile and make your customers feel welcome and comfortable enough to browse and talk to you. If you can engage them without being pushy they are more likely to buy.

My goal is to get that first time customer because once you get them to buy a product they can become a repeat customer. And my repeat customers are the best customers!

I have shelves I use but I had added in different items at times. I used several of those round bedside tables with the long legs. I cut the legs off at 12" and stacked 2 on top of each other with the rustic lacy toppers on them and used unstacked at times.

I have a couple huge cut glass martini glasses that I use for holiday shows with lip balms in them. Have used large plastic ones in the summer.

I use dark table cloths that I got on ebay - the type that you just drop on and they are wrinkle resistant. Uplights behind my shelves at indoor shows and sometimes little christmas light strands in some tulle along the top edge to help with lighting at indoor shows.

The only outdoor shows I have done I used a couple large bushel baskets for loose items and even hung a couple off my tent bars to get them off the ground.

I have found nice shelving pieces behind grocery stores and mall stores even. Usually if you ask, they are just tossing them and will give them to you.

HTH

I have shelves I use but I had added in different items at times. I used several of those round bedside tables with the long legs. I cut the legs off at 12" and stacked 2 on top of each other with the rustic lacy toppers on them and used unstacked at times.

I have a couple huge cut glass martini glasses that I use for holiday shows with lip balms in them. Have used large plastic ones in the summer.

I use dark table cloths that I got on ebay - the type that you just drop on and they are wrinkle resistant. Uplights behind my shelves at indoor shows and sometimes little christmas light strands in some tulle along the top edge to help with lighting at indoor shows.

The only outdoor shows I have done I used a couple large bushel baskets for loose items and even hung a couple off my tent bars to get them off the ground.

I have found nice shelving pieces behind grocery stores and mall stores even. Usually if you ask, they are just tossing them and will give them to you.

HTH

GREAT INFO !!!

I'm trying to get away from tables because if you go to a craft fair, it's booth after booth of tables, tables, tables. I'm not knocking it and if it works, great!, but I want to do something entirely different this year to make my booth pop out over everyone elses'. I want people to walk up to my booth and say, "Hold the phone, what's all this!?!?" and come on in.

I thought the same thing about tables but it wasn't realistic to take armoires to weekend shows and I have never found tall shelving that was secure enoughuse. Last Nov I saw someone with the same stacklable bookcase shelves I use (4' tall) and someone leaned against one and the top shelving unit tumbled backwards. Too many people lean for me to try it myself. And I don't want anything that forces a customer to lean down or crouch to shop. So I went with dark cloths and when the weather warms up some I think I am spraying my shelves the same color so they blend and all you notice is my products.

Make sure you show us what you came up with. I'd love to see some tableless options :yay:

I will! My first farmers markets don't start until April. I have some free standing things I bought one at a yard sale and one at an antique mall. Very sturdy. I took pictures on my digital camera of them during the holiday fairs and my cord that goes to the computer to download them isn't working. Can a person get a new cord for a camera? :confused:

By the way, raising the tables is something I've done and it works really good to get the products in peoples' faces.