Stuff in Wax?

I was just wondering if anyone else is finding lots of crap in their wax from CS? I just recently bought a 100 pounds and it has all this black speck stuff, along with what looks like white paint chips and bits of tiny slivers of cardboard. When I pour it, I am trying to scoop out the little pieces but often miss it. When your candle is cool, in the glass you can see these pieces and they look horrible. This is the third batch from CS (btw am using 464 GW Soy) that has this stuff in it. When you look at the flakes though in the box you can't see this stuff. I am having to wipe down my melter pot after each pour where the stuff is settling on the bottom.

I contacted Candle Science once before on this problem when I was using Ecosoya CB advanced and they just said basically it wasn't their problem. It was "the other company's fault" so therefore they are not liable for whatever is in the wax. Well this is really upsetting me because I should not have to be combing through my wax or trying to use cheesecloth, which by the way is a mess, to strain my wax. IN my opinion, if they sold it they should stand by it...but what do I know.

Just wondered if I am the only one with bad luck?

Well it really isn't their fault since they get the wax already packed in 50 lb boxes and taped shut. All this is probable from the same batch and all you have to do is strain it after it is melted. This happens to me from one thing or another. Very simple thing to put a paper towel on top of a pitcher, hold with clothespins and pour hot wax slowly. It will take care of it and you'll see next batch will be fine but maybe some bugs will fly in or just dirt in the air. In the spring or fall when my windows are open I get these tiny bugs that love to dye in my wax, easy fix.... check this reply

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57473

i get my wax from candle science. until november i was ordering my 464 ten pounds at a time and all of it was fine. in early november i ordered 50 pounds. it was in the sealed box from golden brands, as sharon mentioned. it was totally clean, i didn't see one thing in it. i repackaged it into large ziplock bags after digging out of the box for a while. i haven't used it all, but as i scooped it, i didn't see anything except wax.

i've poured quite a few candles (well over 1/2 the box) and haven't seen anything in my presto pot or the candles.

i am surprised that candle science didn't contact golden brands, they seem so concerned about customer service. maybe this happen more often than i/we realize.

from what i've seen in the old posts, jason seemed like a nice guy. i don't know if he's still with golden brands, but i think it would be worth a phone call, if for nothing else but some insight into the preparation of our wax!

maybe some people who have been doing this longer than i have will tell you not to waste your time, i don't know.

eileen

Well as someone mentioned earlier, pollution is natural. But these are brand new boxes sealed with the brown tape. The wax looks clean and no problems there...just till you melt it. CS always is nice and a great way to get my wax being they are just over the mountain from me so the s/h is not bad at all on it. I was just surprised at the response and "well its not our fault-crap happens" excuse. My feeling is that if they sell it, they need to take some responsibility to at least perhaps calling the company and letting them know they have problems. Its not all the cases, just here and there. I just ended up with five total that had problems. Coloring in the candles can mask most of it, but where its very very noticeable is in the clam shell tarts. On the bottom portion of the squares you can really tell the junk in there. I have tried cheesecloth and a strainer, but that did not help much except removed most of the larger pieces of debris in there. The paint chips and black stuff you can get out, but the finer stuff is just about impossible.

Well as someone mentioned earlier, pollution is natural. But these are brand new boxes sealed with the brown tape. The wax looks clean and no problems there...just till you melt it. CS always is nice and a great way to get my wax being they are just over the mountain from me so the s/h is not bad at all on it. I was just surprised at the response and "well its not our fault-crap happens" excuse. My feeling is that if they sell it, they need to take some responsibility to at least perhaps calling the company and letting them know they have problems. Its not all the cases, just here and there. I just ended up with five total that had problems. Coloring in the candles can mask most of it, but where its very very noticeable is in the clam shell tarts. On the bottom portion of the squares you can really tell the junk in there. I have tried cheesecloth and a strainer, but that did not help much except removed most of the larger pieces of debris in there. The paint chips and black stuff you can get out, but the finer stuff is just about impossible.

I guarantee the paper towel will strain everything out. Plus you just throw it away when done. One paper towel is all you need.

I did buy one box and it came that way also. I use a knee high nylon over a pour pot and use thick rubber bands to hold it. I have had three boxes in ten years like that. Also sometimes my silicone comes like that. Yikes! The company said it was from staging the containers, then picking them back up and stacking. Crap from the floors get in the containers. Can you believe that, They know the problem and they dont fix it. Probably something like that with the wax. Just talk to the company! ... If it helps

The company said it was from staging the containers, then picking them back up and stacking. Crap from the floors get in the containers. Can you believe that, They know the problem and they dont fix it. Probably something like that with the wax. Just talk to the company! ... If it helps

:shocked2::angry2:

Wow. I don't even know what to say to that.

I'm really really sad to hear the response you got from CS. Granted, I don't use the soy, but the effort they put into selling the 'sustainable' palm wax make it seem like they are really in tune with every aspect of the products they sell. Really makes me question all the hoopla on their site now if they can't stand behind that soy wax (even if it is reselling)... dissapointing is all I can say.

Debris is something I anticipate when pouring candles. The chances of getting debris into wax is less when cases are ordered (packaging is intact from the manufacturer), but still possible. When I open wax containers in my home, airborne particles (lint, dust, hair) have another opportunity to get into the wax. To me, straining wax as one pours isn't a big deal and should be part of one's pouring procedure as a matter of course to reduce the chances of getting any debris in the finished product regardless of its origin.

"Food grade" has little to do with debris when making inedible products! It has to do with the purity of the wax in terms of being non-toxic.

I don't think CS is outta line at all. While I feel sure they make every effort to prevent debris from contaminating their wax, some is nearly unavoidable unless they are working in dust-free rooms dressed in scrubs! Don't wanna even think what wax would cost if they hadda use facilities like that to break up cases for small quantities! ;)

• 11 months later...
Found some cat hairs in my candles....wow! Do I pour it through a fine strainer from Presto Pot to the pour pot?

Thanks

I once poured and discovered a couple of cat hairs but then realized they were from my own cat. I now make sure I put on a clean shirt before pouring so it doesn't happen again.

I use tea strainers and picked them up at the local grocery store. I ladle my wax, so it's a minor buttpain, but for folks with spigots on their Prestos, slapping a tea strainer on top of the pour pot and filling their pots through it should be easy-peasy.:) The first time I saw what all it caught, I was an instant convert!

Edited by Stella1952

Coloring in the candles can mask most of it, but where its very very noticeable is in the clam shell tarts. On the bottom portion of the squares you can really tell the junk in there.

I haven't noticed any problems with stuff in the wax of my poured candles or melts. But then again I have a spigot on my presto.

The junk that you see on the bottom of the clamshell usually settles on the bottom of my pot. I guess this sediment would get scooped up if you are using a ladel. The strainer over the pour pot sounds like the best solution if you don't want a spigot.

Slab wax is usually just dropped into cardboard boxes and typically picks up some dirt and bits of cardboard during handling and storage. Flaked product often has an inner plastic bag that keeps it cleaner, but there's never been a guarantee from manufacturers or suppliers/distributors that candle wax is clean.

Candle companies have never expected that either. They don't just throw wax into the melter and pour it into candles. It needs to be strained or filtered. That's just the standard for manufacturing retail product and you should do the same thing.

Personally I like the nylon mesh that beekeepers filter honey with.

Glad I use soy because I have not had this problem.

That would really suck to pay that kind of $$ for wax and have to stain it.

I am surprised that this is accepted as standard..

You think the manufactures would find a way to sell "Clean" wax :rolleyes2......

There was one entire batch I got that was bad (17 cases) and I took them all back and swapped them out for a different lot #.

I knew this was not the standard for soy wax and I was not about to strain 850 pounds of wax...:shocked2: NO WAY!!!

Never had to strain my wax at all.. Never will..:cheesy2:

I don't strain my wax either but it makes sense to improve the quality of your product. I don't get wax with chunks of debris or large particle matter as a free additive. I would be one unhappy camper if that happened. I received a damaged case because of UPS negligence and got a free case in the deal. The damaged wax had grease in it and was all smushed up. It was not my problem, it was the distributor's and UPS' problem and they fixed it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. IMHO.

Steve

Observe what's floating in the sunbeams in your candlemaking areas sometime! I don't mind straining the wax because it's really quite easy to do. I don't want a customer to find some unintentional flotsom in my candles and I am willing to take the extra step to insure that they do not.