Stuff in Wax?

Stella.. Is this C-3 that you need to strain??

Where are you getting yours. Do you buy 50lb boxes.

If you are buying smaller amounts, maybe that's why you have debris in it because the are repackaging it??

I use C-3 and never have to strain for dirt..

Sometimes I will fine a little bug in my melted wax, but that's probably because it crawled in my box in my candle room!!!:laugh2:

Then I do scoop it out. :cheesy2:

But having to strain all you wax?? What a waste of time that would be.

The less steps the better when you have to pour in bulk.. Ya know..

Stella -

Get clean C-3 - Shop at Fillmore..

Katcandlemaker-

Get Clean 415, 464 at Gateway.

Candles and supplies ships debris free 415...:laugh2:

Edited by islandgirl

I buy different waxes by the case from several different suppliers. I am not talking about crud that comes from them - I'm talking about what can contaminate the wax on MY end. I don't give a crap WHERE the debris comes from - I strain ALL my wax so that (hopefully) no crap ends up in my candles from any source.

Like I said - look in a sunbeam and you will see lint and dust particles floating. There is no reason to assume that those particles won't end up in my wax unless I strain it right before pouring. It's simply a manufacturing quality-control step that I (and others) take to assure that dust, lint, pet hair, human hair, boogers, bugs, dandruff, etc. do NOT end up in the products I sell to others. As I suggested - try it and LOOK at what you find in the strainer - you'll be quite surprised! I am not EVEN talking about stuff as large as a bug! If there is debris from the manufacturer or from my home, it all gets caught in the strainer. There is NOTHING strange or excessive about this. It's basic quality control.

Do not exaggerate the time this takes - it takes virtually no time at all to strain the wax, even when making candles by the case. I do this every time I pour, so I have a real good idea of how little effort this step takes!! It's especially quick if one has a spigot on their melter. If I strain into the container or mold, it takes a nanosecond or two longer to pour the container. It's a really small effort to insure a product without debris. :rolleyes2

Edited by Stella1952

What the heck is falling from your ceilings Stella!!!!:shocked2: LOL

Hey..Stella... What ever works for ya...

I have been making soy candles for years and to me it is STRANGE to STRAIN my wax.:rolleyes2

And because I (and others) don't strain, does not mean our quality control is any less!!!:P

Keep On Straining girl.

I may have to test this out when I pour today..

I will let you know what I find!!

ETS: Just stained - I am clean and debris free!!

Edited by islandgirl

The ceilings aren't falling - yet! But cats, dogs, eyelashes, skin flakes & old house dust all blow around my place, especially when the heater or air conditioner is going. You must be an extremely fastidious housekeeper, unlike my dusty self. :P

I have seen hairs and peppery lookin' stuff (coating from Presto) from time to time at the bottom of my C3 containers so I started straining a long time ago and never looked back. I take no chances! While I personally don't give a crap if I find a cat hair in one of my candles, it really icks other people out to find debris & hairs in the products they buy, so I try my best to make sure there's none in there.

Larger candle manufacturers strain/filter their products so it seems to me that I should do the same thing even though I'm a small-time operation. I do consider this a quality control issue and think it's important, otherwise I wouldn't bother. :)

Edited by Stella1952

black speck stuff, along with what looks like white paint chips and bits of tiny slivers of cardboard. When I pour it, I am trying to scoop out the little pieces but often miss it. When your candle is cool, in the glass you can see these pieces and they look horrible. This is the third batch from CS (btw am using 464 GW Soy) that has this stuff in it. When you look at the flakes though in the box you can't see this stuff. I am having to wipe down my melter pot after each pour where the stuff is settling on the bottom.

I think we kind of overlooked the original problem. Paint chips, slivers cardboard and stuff you can actually see? Don't you pay for the weight of all that garbage in the total weight of your wax? You could be talking pounds that equals dollars, not to mention the possibility of causing a fire or law suit. Uh-uh. Take pics e-mail em to CS and demand some action.

I think we kind of overlooked the original problem. Paint chips, slivers cardboard and stuff you can actually see? Don't you pay for the weight of all that garbage in the total weight of your wax? You could be talking pounds that equals dollars, not to mention the possibility of causing a fire or law suit. Uh-uh. Take pics e-mail em to CS and demand some action.

I agree.. That is unacceptable.