I absolutely HAVE to try this

I generally pour my container wax at about 145 so I should be ok with whatever pillar wax I have in the garage (gosh, I hope I have some out there).

I'm so excited to try this

You'll love it. I remember when Alan did that candle (or one similar to it) - I saw it in his shop back before they moved to where they are now. He gave me a tut and I've made hearts, shamrocks and easter eggs. They are fun to make...

well I can tell you already, it's not as easy as the instructions make it sound.

first off - hot glass is, well HOT.

second - the hearts slip around on the glass unless you are really careful. which results in taking them out, cleaning the glass (HOT!), and starting again.

third - the sides of my square votive holder must not be QUITE flat. Which makes me think I may want a slightly softer wax for the heart so it can be molded slightly (maybe a blend of pillar and container) or do it when the hearts are still warm (nah, that won't work).

now - off to pour the container wax...

I tried these the night I got the email...since I was planning to make something. I didn't want to say anything about my experience with it because I assumed it was something I was doing wrong....lol.

I never could get my hearts to stick to my votives. I was so mad LOL. After a 3rd attempt I called it quits...plopped the hearts into the votive and poured my container wax right on top of them LOL. I hope yours turn out better than mine :)

I only did one tonight and I think it's good. Well, amateurish but good.

Maybe. I don't want to get too excited till it's set up and I can give it a good look. Cause being very very OCD and AR I won't be happy if I can't do it "right".

But getting the heart to stick took about half an hour. For one frickin' side. Of one candle. That's one heart.

(I had aspirations of 2 tiny hearts on each of the sides - that obviously ain't happening LOL)

I tried this too and I couldnt get the heart to stick to the side of the jar until it pretty much melted the heart. Which made it look like a big mess but I pour the candle anyways hoping it would melt the little bit of wax around the hearts and make it look a little bit better but it didnt. Good luck and hope it turns out the way you want it to.

Spent the evening on this and got 3 of 4 hearts to stick beautifully (eventually). I can make a "go" of this.

I heat the glass and when it's hot I then LAY IT ON ITS SIDE. Then I zap (from a great distance) the heart a bit and then quickly stick it in the glass on the "down" side so I don't have to hold it in place. I'd love to press it down to get a better "seal" against the glass but I'm not steady enough so I gave up on doing that. After it cools I then give it another zap from the outside WHILE HOLDING IT ON ITS SIDE AND SHOOTING UP to try and get a bit more of a melt going - to seal it better to the glass - and set it down again to cool.

I'm also using a pink wax, rather than white, for the fill part which seems to help with any of it getting between the heart and the glass.

But no way do the instructions do this exercise justice - it's not simply heat and stick LOL.

I wish my oven would go as low as 120 or so - then I'd keep the hearts warm and pliable... but alas.

But all in all mine look pretty nice. Now where is that darned camera? All I have is my cell...

I tried it, they looked nice, but were kind of difficult to do. I use CBL 141 and made unscented wax for heat cut outs. Got a small heart cutter at Michaels. I am using square frosted containers. The problem was getting the heart to adhere without heating it up too much and having runny wax. I heated the container, hurried and and stuck the heart, and placed in the frig for quick cool so it would not run. I guess I am too impatient sometimes too. Anyway then I poured container wax (J223) at 160 degrees and they look nice.

Will test burn one today, and post pic later.

:cheesy2:

Has anyone played with micro wax to help stick it to the sides. I know micro is really white but I wonder if it was melted and then painted onto the side of the heart if that would help it stick to the glass and not show up all white on the glass. The right Micro can be very sticky stuff and is used to stick wax art to the sides of pillars/hurricanes.

I already have some heart cut outs I used for other things, and micro wax. If my kids will give me a few moments to myself maybe I can play with that idea. (don't hold you breath that my kids will give me a break though)

Karen B

Spent the evening on this and got 3 of 4 hearts to stick beautifully (eventually). I can make a "go" of this.

I heat the glass and when it's hot I then LAY IT ON ITS SIDE. Then I zap (from a great distance) the heart a bit and then quickly stick it in the glass on the "down" side so I don't have to hold it in place. I'd love to press it down to get a better "seal" against the glass but I'm not steady enough so I gave up on doing that. After it cools I then give it another zap from the outside WHILE HOLDING IT ON ITS SIDE AND SHOOTING UP to try and get a bit more of a melt going - to seal it better to the glass - and set it down again to cool.

I'm also using a pink wax, rather than white, for the fill part which seems to help with any of it getting between the heart and the glass.

But no way do the instructions do this exercise justice - it's not simply heat and stick LOL.

I wish my oven would go as low as 120 or so - then I'd keep the hearts warm and pliable... but alas.

But all in all mine look pretty nice. Now where is that darned camera? All I have is my cell...

One thing that helped me that I notice is different on this one compared to the tut I got, was I was told to use chunks to help hold the heart to the glass also. When I get home I can post a pic of the ones I did a couple of years ago.

chunks? you mean to wedge it in place? them remove?

No, chunks you pour over like you would to make a chunky pillar. I forgot to put the pics up last night. I'll try to rememer tonight. I'll also show you the original one Alan did. I have a pic of that one as well.

I have one left from when I did them in 2006 and the heart bled pretty badly. If my batteries are charged in the camera I'll take a pic of that one now to show you what I mean. :)