Advice on 4630 wax

At present, I mix J223 and 415 soy for my candles. I have been looking at buying 4630 wax. Does anyone use this wax and can give me some advice on advantages and disadvantages. I am looking for a wax that will be cheaper than what I am using. Thanks for any information.

I have been trying the 4630 with my EL Millennium and it is slow going. I mean I love it and will never go back to a 100% soy candle but I am having the hardest time getting it to set up right. I have messed with my pour temps a bunch and nothing is working. I have to use the heat gun on every single candle and it is driving me crazy. I love the throw hot and cold, no frost at all. It is just these darn air pockets and sometimes I get cracks that goes from the top to the bottom of the candle. The only thing I havent tried yet is cooling slowly (I was hoping I would be able to figure the problem out without having to do this).

Well best of luck and let me know who it goes, I have been meaning to try it with my 415 but just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks for the info. I have been having a problem with cracks in candles using the J223 and Soy. I have adjusted temperatures but it hasn't helped. It looks like air bubble cracks. I still think it is the temperature but can't figure out if it is the pouring temp or room temp. My daughter-in-law is enjoying getting all the candles with cracks. She says they burn great which is another puzzle to me.

I am going to order a sample of 4630 tomorrow then back to the testing. What type of wicks have worked best. I mostly use LX wicks.

I have used J-50 (IGI 4636A) for years, mixed in my own blend, and never had a problem. Since IGI took over, I'm running into the same types of problems you describe with the 4630. I don't get cracks, but I do get white crusty patches between the jar and the wax, which require a heat gun repair on almost every candle.

I have tried pouring at temperatures in 5 drgree increments from 140 degrees to 190 degrees, into heated jars, and for years I've placed my candles in slow cooling boxes made from styrofoam insulation board. Nothing has worked to eliminate the problem for me.

My candles have even lost the nice, creamy appearance that brought me to use it in the first place.

I've been in touch with IGI for help, and they asked for a couple candles to see what the problem looked like, but after a couple weeks, I got no answer. After prodding the guy I sent them to, he responded they burned them, and found no problem. Also he said they checked their test reports for the batch number used for my candles and found the was was within their specification for that wax. Basically they told me to get over it.

I don't know what the answer is, but I will keep looking.

I have tested a wax sold by JS, and it looks really good, so after I run out of my latest purchase, a change might be in order.

Fredron

I use it and I like it. I don't mix it with any other wax. Heat to about 175 then mix and pour. Room temp ranges from 65-95 because I pour outdoors. The only time I had a problem is when I heated the wax too hot. You need to wick down on this wax and it responds best to cotton wicks. Lately I am using Premier wicks with good results when my cottons don't work. Great color and great throw.

I have a tester now I am burning with 50/50 4630 & C-3. Heartfelt's Blackberry Sage with liquid burgundy color. CT and HT is pretty darn good. Both of these waxes are new to me and my pouring temp was off, I do believe. I poured around 145* and it may have been too cool since I got a sink hole in my 16 oz jar, the 8 oz jar set up great. I really was just playing to see the outcome. Next I want to try the 464 with the 4630 and also both C-3 and 464 in J223. As for wicking I used HTP's and found I can wick down significantly from my normal 50/50 parasoy slab wax. Next testers I am going to try CD's and zincs to compare.