What can we do to boost sales?

Wildcrafter

My product sales were down $2500 this holiday season, partially because we got slammed with snow the last 2 weeks before Christmas.

Stick it out, girls. It can't go on like this forever.

For those of you who are working day jobs, stick with them. For those of us for whom this IS our day jobs.....think think think....

What can we do to boost sales?

1. Hold a neighborhood home party? Meaning, set up in your own living room and drop a little flier in mailboxes, put up fliers in libraries and your natural food co operative? I'm thinking of doing one of these next month after I do my biz taxes. You never know how much money you can make at one of these. I've only done one in the past and made over $700 in 3 hours. And made a new friend!

2. Have you collected emails of customers over the past year at your fairs and farmers markets? Send out a mass email and talk up your products. Why do they want to buy from you? Because you're all natural or all soy or handmade is best because (fill in the blank). Don't slam other companies or products, just hype up your own. Slamming someone else's products is unprofessional. I just sent one out this past week and got orders and workshop sign ups.

3. Do you teach? Schedule a candle or soap making workshop. My workshop and apprenticeship registrations were way up last year and are already filling for spring.

4. What are you doing??

Have you tried networking online through social media such as: facebook, blogging, etsy, artfire, twitter, myspace, and various ning sites.

Now a days marketing is not just an offline thing you can now market your products online with huge results. You just have to persistant, and dilligent.

If you have an account with the above groups use them to your advantage, talk about upcoming promos offer discounts to those in that particular group...example, this month only for twitter followers 10% off..watch your sales grow. HTH

My product sales were down 5000. in Dec. We didn't have snow, or bad weather. Strickly, the economy. I am the 33.00 show girl. This week we did 3 days and made 200.. At least we got some groceries. I am thankful for anything I make these days. I am thinking of new ideas to build business. If I come across on that works I will let you know. I have already shared selling to businesses. That works well for us. Just got to get the courage up to walk thru the door. Hope we can get together on this and come up with something that works. :yay:

My product sales were down 5000. in Dec. We didn't have snow, or bad weather. Strickly, the economy. I am the 33.00 show girl. This week we did 3 days and made 200.. At least we got some groceries. I am thankful for anything I make these days. I am thinking of new ideas to build business. If I come across on that works I will let you know. I have already shared selling to businesses. That works well for us. Just got to get the courage up to walk thru the door. Hope we can get together on this and come up with something that works. :yay:

You're other thread about that show made me sad. I am so sorry!

Be careful dropping fliers in mailboxes. Unless laws have changed, it's against federal law to use mailboxes for anything other than something with paid postage.

She's right, you cannot use mailboxes for solication purposes without postage. I live in a rura area so I probably wouldn't get caught since I know all the carriers....but...

Here's what I do, I do a buy 4 get 1 free and have for years...it works....the free candle is at your cost only.... when I did that, I would sell 4 candles at retail ( example...your cost $2.50, retail is 8.95....profit $6.45 per candle) free is $2.50 ... do the math....works every time..... even my discontinued candles I place in my local antique store....reduced price on 8 oz. sq. mason jar to $5 and 16 oz. to $7.00 (basically close wholesale costs) stilling getting 2x plus my cost.....BUY ANY 5 CANDLES and get 1 8 oz. free....I sold $1000 in less than 2 months....better than what my website was doing in off months.

FREE is the key word....everyone likes a freebie....

I also do home candle parties....that last one I did in October had 25 gals "come and go".....made in profit $1500. Home parties are so good! I gave our free CAT SPRING CANDLE pens and a little discount when they purchased over $50..... their candles were even packaged in a burgundy and tan gift bag with handle...they love it! 4 oz. and 2 oz. room sprays were flying out like there was no tomorrow...2 oz. was $4.00 and 4 oz. was $6....pure profit and had orders coming in when I got home from the candle party......

Also, think UNDER $10....that's a success story too!

I gave out coupons for a free votive w/ any purchase over 5.00 to some restaurants near my shop. I gave the waitresses and owners some free candles to pass them out and I did get alot of business from that. Most people bought alot more than 5.00 worth. I really think it was the word free that brought them in. I also put alot of those people on my mailing list.

Then leave them at doors. Post it in your church bulletin. However the word can be spread. The idea is for getting the word out for the home sale. To boost sales. Thinking off the top of my head, I'm sure everyone can sift through what may work for them and what wouldn't, legally, financially, time-wise, etc. It's about getting off the duff and getting excited about doing something to introduce more people to your products. Put your energy into getting excited about your products and people will get excited about your products as well.

I see this all the time at fairs and farmers markets - the difference in sales numbers between people who are happy in their booths and people who are in bad moods, sit in low chairs, get the "desperate look." I greet everybody enthusiastically who comes into my booth. I am friendly and personable. I compliment people on what they are wearing or hair style, something. It makes people feel good about being in my booth and buying and then coming back and buying more. I stand and don't sit. I'm there to sell, not relax. I train my employees to act the same way when they are working my booths. My employees know to be personable and don't bring chairs with them, either. I get feedback from other vendors on my employees and keep the ones who consistently get good results and compliments.

I run sales for returning and consistent customers who buy from my website and will, on occasion, throw in a little extra in their order box. This keeps them coming back. If I am out of something, I send an alternative and then, when I have the item they want in stock, I send it to them, my charge, not theirs. That keeps them coming back and it's kept a roof over my head for years.

I also do a buy 4 get one free. It works. Most of my sales are 5 candles. Try it. You can always change it. Please don't feel sorry for me. I got a lot of new ideas in the works. But thanks. :yay:

You're gonna have to help me here. In one post, you say your sales were down $5000 in December. Then you turn around and say "buy 4, get 1 free" works for you.

How exactly does that work?

:shocked2:

At the end of my market season, I ran a special on soap only. Buy 6 and get 2 free. I did this to thank my patrons who support me over the season and like to stock up for winter. And to get rid of end of the season soaps so that my inventory goes down. I sold so much soap, it was amazing. Everybody was so happy to get those extra 2 bars for free. It was very successful. I wasn't at the last market, myself. I had one of my employees man the booth. I was manning a booth at a holiday fair. In retrospect, I should have been the one at the market thanking all of my customers and giving them a little extra something. Next year will be that way.

Does somebody of you have a kind of bonus system, a reward system for your customers? I'm thinking of offering something of that kind, maybe bonus point with each purchase.

It is difficult to do other things as your competitors, but you have to, otherwise people won't even look at your products.

I do have some very loyal costumers who will buy regularly year after year, but here in Germany we have - of course - Partylite and Yankee, and here people want to have a name on their products. They don't want no-name, so to say.

During the summer, I sent out an email to all my loyal customers and put something on sale one weekend a month. I sent in the email, an attachment with a coupon that they had to bring in to redeem. Once I gave a sample of soap of their choice, which was a half bar. Once I gave out a half bar of the soap I made for my mom for years. It was Mother's Day weekend and I was honoring my Mom that way who passed away 3 years ago. I put that in the email and it really brought people to my booth. Many of them also bought things since they were in my booth anyway. I did percentages off certain items, that sort of thing. It worked well for me.

It's been a massacre for me too. Not a single order from november until now.

Even friends who buy from me without going on my site didn't buy a single tart.

And since I just moved in a new house and still have lots of things to do I don't really have the time and mind to think of a smart way to boost my sales....

At least I have a daytime job so I can bring bread home LOL

Now Sliver listen real close so you will understand. Just because my sales were down 5000. in Dec., doesn't mean that I didn't make alot of money. I may have brought in 50,000, but my sales were down 5000. By saying the buy 4, get one free works for me, might just mean I have used that for many years and it has always done well for me,when my sales are up OR down. And I hope I am making lots of mistakes in my writting too, so you can criticize me about that too. Now do you get it? People who find fault in others, usually have many faults themselves. Relax. live a little. It is much more fun.:yay:

Does somebody of you have a kind of bonus system, a reward system for your customers? I'm thinking of offering something of that kind, maybe bonus point with each purchase.

It is difficult to do other things as your competitors, but you have to, otherwise people won't even look at your products.

I do have some very loyal costumers who will buy regularly year after year, but here in Germany we have - of course - Partylite and Yankee, and here people want to have a name on their products. They don't want no-name, so to say.

I find that people favor products with a name rather than products that are either good for the environment or good for their skin. It doesnt hurt to give new things a try.

For people in a sales slump, have you done anything to launch a new product, a new scent, a new size, or just new packaging? People get bored with the same thing all of the time, and even though they might stick to the same product every time they order, they still like to see something new now and then. It generates interest and keeps you in their memory.

If you sell on etsy, ebay, craft fairs, your own website, or a brick and mortar store, do you have a mailing list--do you keep track of customer purchases so you can email or snail mail information to them?

Market your products and create some hype--make special announcements for new fragrances or new products. Is anything new and improved? Have you changed candle containers? Can you offer discounted or free on shipping? Do you offer gift wrapping? Do you have contests? Do you have a newsletter? Are you networking on other crafter's forums? Do you blog?

A lot of folks are gaining sales by offering products for sale on their blogs, which they conveniently plug on every crafter's forum they can find. They don't blatantly tell people go to theiry blog and buy their stuff; instead, they tell people to go to their blog for instructions on making a wreath (or whatever the relavant topic for the particular forum is), and once there, the reader will see the instructions, but they will also find a variety of crafts or supplies available for sale also.

Laugh, Be Fun and entertaining. This Works mostly if you are selling face to face. I've been doing craft shows for 15 years, and the best wisdom i can impart to everyone is. BE happy. I did a show in december where the other 50 vendors at there made barely( or less) than their booth fee ($25) my sales were over $3000. People like to buy from happy people. Not someone who is sitting behind a table glaring and not paying attention to their customers. Laugh, Talk, share Jokes.. I chatter constantly at my booth, and i joke about the fact that i do so.. who would you rather buy from, someone who is sitting in their booth doing a crossword, reading a booking, working on stuff for "the next show" or someone, who looks you in the eye and says " Hi, how are you today?".. Don't ask in they want to smell a candle.. say. "this is an awesome fragrance, you gotta smell it" don't shove it in the nose. Just Put it in smelling distance. Focus less on the selling element and more on showing off how much fun your products are.

When people see your passion for the items that you sell, in a more relaxed , fun environment, they are much more likely to buy. And Yes, that's why i am still online at 2am.. I just finished my work for the day. A new wholesale customer ordered 500 candle pies that i have to finish my Thursday.. A SMILE and Laugh work wonders..

:yay:

For people in a sales slump, have you done anything to launch a new product, a new scent, a new size, or just new packaging? People get bored with the same thing all of the time, and even though they might stick to the same product every time they order, they still like to see something new now and then. It generates interest and keeps you in their memory.

If you sell on etsy, ebay, craft fairs, your own website, or a brick and mortar store, do you have a mailing list--do you keep track of customer purchases so you can email or snail mail information to them?

Market your products and create some hype--make special announcements for new fragrances or new products. Is anything new and improved? Have you changed candle containers? Can you offer discounted or free on shipping? Do you offer gift wrapping? Do you have contests? Do you have a newsletter? Are you networking on other crafter's forums? Do you blog?

A lot of folks are gaining sales by offering products for sale on their blogs, which they conveniently plug on every crafter's forum they can find. They don't blatantly tell people go to theiry blog and buy their stuff; instead, they tell people to go to their blog for instructions on making a wreath (or whatever the relavant topic for the particular forum is), and once there, the reader will see the instructions, but they will also find a variety of crafts or supplies available for sale also.

I get quite a lot out of your advice - thanks!!

There seems to be a lot you can do, but to be honest I barely have the time to do all the advertising, updating my shop etc...

I guess I could have far better sales if I could work 8 hours a day, regularly, but I can't as I have children, a house, a garden...it is very difficult and frustrating.

I've been asked to join facebook and make a page for my business... maybe my vision of business is too "traditional" but I like to appear as a pro, and don't know if it would be a good move to be in places like FB...

And I don't have the time to think of it all now, and guess what.. soon it will be V day, and I can't think of anything cute to offer. My life is such a mess now, my brain isn't operative LOL

:rolleyes2