Still not happy with lather- what am I doing wrong?

Skiminims

Hey everyone,

I've done four batches, tweaking each one and I'm still not excited with my lather. It's better, but not great.

Here's my recipie. I'm thinking it might be the amount of FO I'm using but I'm not sure

For a 1lb batch (SFIC white opaque)

2 tablespoons goats milk (reconstituted powder)

1oz fragrance oil

2 tablespoons veggie glycerine

1/2 tsp castor oil

Is the amount of oil killing my lather? I was using a 1/2 oz of FO, but I could hardly smell my soap once it was out of the mold.

Can I use more than 2 tablespoons of the veggie glycerine? Would that make a difference? Should I try some shaving soap base in with my white opaque?

Help! :)

Thanks all!

it might be the oil, or the glycerin. neither of those generates lather you know, so you are diluting your soap.

Wow! Guess I've been making my very lathery MP soap wrong all this time! Glycerin is a wonderful bubble and lather generater in my soap. Maybe that's just because I didn't know that it doesn't generate lather!! Hmmm! Now that I know, I can't wait to see if my next batch of soap sucks! :)

The milk is just plain wonderful and nourishing for the skin, BUT, I'm certain it doesn't do a thing for lather. I wouldn't guess it to be killing the lather though, but maybe. Was your lather any better when you were using less FO?

My suggestion would be to cut out the castor completely, and Add more glycerin.

I'm also surprised to hear about the glycerin! I too remember reading on here how many people use it to boost lather in their soap.

I will definately cut the castor. Maybe I should decrease the amount of goats milk used too?

The lather wasn't any better when I used 1/2oz FO instead of a full ounce, but I might take it back down to a 1/2 oz just to try it out again.

I had thought about adding some shaving soap base. How much should I add to 1lb of regular SFIC white? I haven't tried combining bases before.

I'm also surprised to hear about the glycerin! I too remember reading on here how many people use it to boost lather in their soap.

I will definately cut the castor. Maybe I should decrease the amount of goats milk used too?

The lather wasn't any better when I used 1/2oz FO instead of a full ounce, but I might take it back down to a 1/2 oz just to try it out again.

I had thought about adding some shaving soap base. How much should I add to 1lb of regular SFIC white? I haven't tried combining bases before.

I was being sarcastic with Care Bear about the glycerin :D It's definitely a lather and bubble booster!

Goat's Milk will give you very creamy lather.. or it should. It does for me. The glycerin adds more lather and quite a bit more bubbles. When I add it, there are bubbles floating in the air!

I have never used the shaving base before but I have heard wonderful things about it.. namely viscosity, but also that it makes some nice lather, so if you have it, try it for sure!

Well PA is the queen of MP soap, but I've not found that to be true at all. Try putting a little glycerin in your hand and washing with it. Nada. Zip, zero, zilch. I can buy that it changes the character of the lather - but not an increase.

But like I said, trust PA, she's got more experience.

(in CP soap I've found that GM makes the lather richer)

Well PA is the queen of MP soap, but I've not found that to be true at all. Try putting a little glycerin in your hand and washing with it. Nada. Zip, zero, zilch. I can buy that it changes the character of the lather - but not an increase.

But like I said, trust PA, she's got more experience.

(in CP soap I've found that GM makes the lather richer)

Logically, you're right. It probably shouldn't make soap lather more. And honestly, maybe it doesn't. Maybe it's just a combination of things. A scientist I am not, so I can't rightly say what exactly causes my soap to lather more, but by the process of elimination and additions of different things, that's what seemed to work. It's quite possible that I am wrong, wrong, wrong about it.

I do know what will absolutely make MP soap lather more though, and I had forgotten that this is a good option. Buy an unscented liquid soap such as Dr. Bronner's (I think that's what it's called) And add that in in place of the glycerin. That should do the trick.

I think I've priced that Dr. Bronners and it was a tad expensive, but if it helps lather, I may be willing to try it.

I was curious about the dishsoap too. Anyone use unscented liquid soap you can get at the grocery store?

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Good point CareBear :)

Anyone know of any good unscented liquid bath soap that you can get locally and not have to order online?

Also, regarding adding shaving soap, do you go half and half (half white opaque and half shaving soap?) or do you normally do a smaller ratio of shaving soap? I've never combined bases before. I'm using SFIC right now.

Hey everyone,

I've done four batches, tweaking each one and I'm still not excited with my lather. It's better, but not great.

Here's my recipie. I'm thinking it might be the amount of FO I'm using but I'm not sure

For a 1lb batch (SFIC white opaque)

2 tablespoons goats milk (reconstituted powder)

1oz fragrance oil

2 tablespoons veggie glycerine

1/2 tsp castor oil

Is the amount of oil killing my lather? I was using a 1/2 oz of FO, but I could hardly smell my soap once it was out of the mold.

Can I use more than 2 tablespoons of the veggie glycerine? Would that make a difference? Should I try some shaving soap base in with my white opaque?

Help! :)

Thanks all!

Woah!! I can see the problem.. er.. problems right away. Way too much glycerin, FO, and GM.

Try changing it to:

1 TBS of GM

1/2 tsp of vegetable glycerin

1 TBS FO

You are killing your lather by adding too much. Cut back some and it should improve. I find its better to start out with smaller amounts than experiment with adding more until you refine your recipe.

As far as adding veggie glycerin-- I have tested my soap with and without and I get great lather with it rather than not using it in my M&P. I have benn adding it for several years now and love my lather. I have also tried it straight out of the bottle and find it does not lather by itself. But it does works in the soap. So I have to agree with PA on this. I wouldn't make my M&P without VG.

Thanks for the advice Candybee! So you think less is more when it comes to veggie glycerin?

A little bit of veggie glycerin goes a long way yes!! Try it again and let us know how it works next time.:)

PA-- I generally make 2 lbs at a time but have a 5-6 lb soap melter. I would use my other melter but it always has candle wax in it.:laugh2:

I surely will. I'm hoping to be able to make a batch either today or tomorrow. As soon as I'm able to test it, I'll let you know how it went.

I'm also noticing my skin is kind of drying out after I use it too. I'm not sure what else I can do besides use the goats milk to make it a little more moisturizing? My mom noticed it dried her hands out a little too. Any suggestions?

I sent you a pm. Just add some butter or oil to the base. The best moisturizer I have found is castor oil. But I also use shea butter, coconut oil, and olive oil in all of my soap making. Try any butter or oil you want at 1 tsp per lb of base. You will get great moisturizing using any of those. You can experiment with different oil and butter combos too.

Stuff like olive oil, coconut oil, or castor oil you can find at the grocers or local health food store.

Soap suppliers carry all different types of oils and butters like apricot, hemp seed, etc. that are good for different things. But in general any butter or oil should help make your bar more moisturizing.

• 2 weeks later...

Try adding the GM's to your FO and other additives and not water. Might be a little too much liquid. I know Coconut oil and other things make CP/HP soap lather more but that is a chemical thing with the oils and lye. Don't see how it would help with MP but not an expert. I would cut a chunk of the MP plain and see how it lathers, melt and add glycerin then see if it lathers more. Only way to know for sure..IMHO.

I think I've priced that Dr. Bronners and it was a tad expensive, but if it helps lather, I may be willing to try it.

I was curious about the dishsoap too. Anyone use unscented liquid soap you can get at the grocery store?

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

HMMMM I bet dawn will ungrease your body :laugh2: :laugh2:

Seriously, I wouldn't try dish soap.

I love glycerin in my soaps, love the lather. :)