Made my first soap!

jeniryan

I made it using Aj's Beginner Goat's Milk recipe, substituted 10% OO for Castor. I used the Crock Pot Hot Process method so I totally expected the soap to be a tannish to brown color. The only little quirk that irritated me about the finished product is that I shouldn't have scraped the sides of the pot where the soap gets kinda white and crusty, as it now has white specks throughout the soap. I made it using a homemade pvc pipe mold (thank you GOD for this forum, or I'd still be trying to get that soap out!) Next time I won't scrape the sides of the pot, I just didn't want to waste any, and I need to invest in a soap cutter because my slices weren't very accurate and even. Otherwise, I'm pretty darn pleased with my first little batch of soap!

Yey, good for you and congrats!

With hot process, scraping the sides should not result with white specks in the soap. Your crock scorched the outside layer of soap. I cook in the oven to get a good even cook. all you need is a stainless pot- and cook at about 190 degrees- although ovens vary, 185-190 is a good starting point. I stir at 1/2 hour, stir and check every 15 minutes. If you don't want to try the oven, try turning down your crock and don't be afraid to stir the soap once it has gelled and continues to cook.

happy soaping!

Kari