Reed Diffusers/Hope I made right...

Trappeur

I just made up 10 reed diffusers...first time for me.....I just want to check and make sure I did them right.....

I was told to do 3 to 1 - so thats what I did, but if I need more scent in the bottle I can add..

1. I bought the 8oz Just Scent bottles.

2. I did a mixture of 4 1/2 oz diffuser base from Just Scent and added 1 1/2oz of my fragrances which are from Bittercreek.

3. I used 6oz of the formulation for a 8oz bottle. If I didn't add enough scent I have room if you think I should.

4. I ordered the good reeds from Wholesale supplies plus.

and I have 8 reeds per bottle though they came packaged in 10....so should I use the 10 reeds?

This is my first try at making them....I've been scoping prices and boy do they vary.....So I'm marking them for the my shop for 17.99.....Yea? or Nei?????

I do not have them in a box but will do so after I see how they go....I have my label on them and a caution label too and I've wrapped a rustic adornment around the neck of the jar with a sprig of pine cone....I'll take a picture and show you....

I just made a sample for me which will be my sample at the shop with the reeds already set up so when the people come thru the door they can smell them (well, I hope they smell!!!!, )

I just got done making them all...Question...the one sample I just did when I stuck the reeds in bottle, how long do I wait to flip the reeds since it is just new? Tomorrow? Or will it catch up right away or take all day....

These are the scents in the diffuser base.

BC :Hot Apple Pie

BC :Vanilla Bean Supreme

Natural Artisan: Balsam Fir

BC: Autumn Spice

BC: 1/2 Lavender and 1/2 Vanilla Bean

Coal Creek: Cranberry Cobbler

BC: A Northwoods Christmas

BC: I mixed 1/2 and 1/2 of Cowboy Blue and Aspen Glen

BC: Gingerbread

My main concern is that I did 3 to 1 formulation.

I see some do 50/50.......Should I or not...?

And is my price ok? I was thinking of mybe doing 18.99 instead of 17.99 as I have wholesale accounts and I would like to be able to make money of these if I sell them wholesale...

Thanks...Trappeur

Hi Trapp,

I make them 50/50 and I use 10 reeds per bottle. I would sell them at the higher price.......Here in Aussie lots of places sell them cheaper than what I do but mine last for approx 6 months and many of the others don't. They aren't the cheapest things to make, so you might as well make some sort of decent profit from them.

When I first place the reed sticks in the bottle I leave them for 15mins and then turn them around. I do this off and on to refresh the scent.

Cheers,

Hells

Hi Hellen!

Thanks!!!! Your from Aussie Land? Wow, my sister met a great guy from Aussie Lane a few years back over the internet, lol....., they met, fell in love, and got married and he moved here to Maine....Terrific guy! So you do 50/50....If you don't mind me asking, who do you get your base from? This is my first time and I'm hoping that they are a good selling item for me..Well its too late to do 50/50 because they are already made, but I could add more scent as they say that base will take up to 40% and I don't want the strongest scent I can get....And using 2 more reeds will make a difference? Huh! Ok, I think I'll do this to my sample now....Oh Hellen, can you give me some suggestions as to what are good strong scents that take well in diffusers? Thanks again Hellen! Cheerio! lol

Hi Faye...haven't spoke to you in ages...hope your doing well...Thats too bad, they didn't turn out for you.....Well, I'm going to give it my best shot....Take care!

Trapp

When I sold them, I did 70 base 30 scent. I saved money in the long run by sticking with 2 oz. bottles, they last just as long in my testing. Depending on the FO though, if you use to much FO, it can clog the reeds. A couple of my heavy FO's didn't do well until I fixed on the 70/30 mix.

I sold them for $5. I personally wouldn't pay $20 for reed diffusers from an unknown or small company source, well really anywhere at all. They sold EXTREMELY well at $5. But that again was the 2 oz, plain glass bottles too. I think the more biz you do, the higher you can go with them. I just can't see a product I make for $2 and ripping people off for selling them at $20.

I love reed diffusers. I buy my bottles at Specialty Bottle. The 4 and 8 oz. I buy a decorative silver cap that the reeds go through in the bottle at Advance Creations USA. My reeds I buy at WSP and the diffuser base at Peak's. I don't order thses alone if I order from any of those sites for my candles I just stock up on reed diffuser supplies to save on shipping even if I'm not running low. I sell my 4 oz for $9.95 and my 8 oz for $12.95. It costs me 2.12 for the 4 oz and 3.19 for the 8 oz. Again the silver cap is optional so it could be even cheaper. :smiley2:

Thankyou Miss Mary and Msale.....Well, I've got 5.12 invested in making the reed diffusers plus the cost of shipping which is not included in the 5.12 and by the time I figured out the retail, it pretty much comes up to 3x the cost. I didn't think that price was gauging the customer really and I have to say that I do, don't believe in ripping off anyone because normally I don't think I charge enough for my products....And also to, I'm using the 8oz bottle, so that would be a higher priced item...and I've decorated the bottle to presentation so it looks like a more expensive product (well, I think it does....I don't know...I'll have to put up a picture and get everyones input on what I did). And you;ve only got 2.00 invested in a 2 oz bottle Mary? Wow! thats great! And thanks for being so honest Miss Mary about you not willing to spend 20.00 for a diffuser....because on the other hand, I personally wouldn't pay 5.00 myself for a reed diffuser, thinking that it was cheap and not a product that would serve itself and I would bypass that item up if I saw it for $5.00...but to each their own thinking, right? So please don't take it personally what I just said because I'm not insulting you by any means...Its just my opinion...thats all...

Msale, wow, for an 8oz you have 3.19 invested....Well, I'll have to shop more! lol

Thanks everyone for the great input....I'm learning.......

Oh, could you tell me how many reeds you use too? The more reeds you use, does that mean the more powerful the strength of scent is?

Trappeur

Hi Trapps,

Bitter Creek has a whole lot of info on which scents mix with cyclo. It's cheaper for me to but the diffuser sticks from you guys than from here...can you believe that???

100ml bottle for me to make up costs me just under $9 to make. Cyclo here is around $30 a litre (not quite sure what that is in your system), and fragrance oils are roughly that price as (depending which ones I buy). Then the price of the bottle, reeds, labels etc

My email is hellenr@optusnet.com.au I've done a lot of research on where to buy things and I think I know the cheapest place to buy the reeds from

Cheers,

Hells

(well, I hope they smell!!!!, ) :shocked2:

How about testing....then you would know how to mix each FO and how many reeds you feel do the trick.

I only offer 7 scents right now because that is all I have tested, but I know each will last 3-5 months, I know I use 8 reeds because 6 is too skimpy and 10 is overkill. I know the ratio of base to FO that I use for each scent. And I know how to tell customers how to use my product.

I charge $10 and they sell fairly well. I sell a product that I can stand behind!