Sam's has generic olive oil !!

Billie

Just got back from Sam's Club and they now have a generic olive oil for $16 something compared to Bertoli Classico at $23 something. I checked the back label and held them up to the light and they looked the same color. Just trying pay it forward for all the help you all have given. YaaaHoooooo!!!!

Billie

I have both the Bertoli and Members Mark sitting here and they read exactly the same on the back in fine print, refined olive oil plus extra virgin olive oil. I have pomace but was looking for a whiter bar without the green tint to contend with. I have used Bertoli olive oil before with great results. Being fairly new, could you explain why it would be a bad thing to use this? Maybe the refined is not good to soap with? Just trying to learn here. Thanks

Billie

I have both the Bertoli and Members Mark sitting here and they read exactly the same on the back in fine print, refined olive oil plus extra virgin olive oil. I have pomace but was looking for a whiter bar without the green tint to contend with. I have used Bertoli olive oil before with great results. Being fairly new, could you explain why it would be a bad thing to use this? Maybe the refined is not good to soap with? Just trying to learn here. Thanks

Billie

Refined or olive pomace are both fine to work with. Any brand of OO is fine too as long as it is pure OO. But some olive oils are not pure OO and are cut with soybean oil which will change how your soap turns out since you don't know how much of another oil the OO was cut with to be able to figure out lye amounts. Lots of times when you find what you think is a good deal on OO, its been cut with another oil. HTH

I just bought some of this stuff today and come home to find this post. For ingredients it reads, Composed of Refined Olive Oils and Virgin Olive Oils. Will this be good for soaping?

I'm still a newbie so TIA.

This reads as pure olive oil to me just like the famous brand. The only difference I see is it is just a different, cheaper brand they are now starting to carry. It was called Members Mark. HTH

They looked alike in the store but the Members Mark looks a little darker now, so may not soap much lighter than the Pomace. I guess we will see.

• 2 weeks later...