Help with IGI 6006

Hi everyone, I have been reading piles of posts on this site for the past few days and have found some great info! Thanks!

My problem is.... Using IGI 6006 wax, 6% fragrance (tried various FO mfgrs), 14oz. rocks glass jars and multiple wick tests.

I seem to have problems getting a good melt pool but when I wick up, I seem to get too much smoking or mushrooming-scent throw varies from FO to FO obviously. I have tried LX, HTP, RD, and zinc core wicks. Any suggestions? I feel like I'm missing something here and it's probably obvious!

I am looking to achieve similar results as the Seda France Candles that I have burned for years - they seem to give a great throw and that is my main concern...less concerned with wet spots and I am not using color in any of this size.

Thanks!!! Great to be here!

Erin

Thanks for the input everyone.... I'm gonna keep trying and see how it goes. I am planning to try out some j-50 this weekend as there is a supplier locally that sells it.

BTW, I noticed that Fredron is in Cranberry PA! I am in Beaver county right down the road!

Thanks Rae! What CD wick would you recommend for a 3.5 in jar? Also, what percentage of FO do you use in the 606? I have been using between 6 and 9%..... Thanks for your help!!

Erin

Beverly,

I use 10% fo in the 6006. I use a CD8 for a 3" tin and 3-CD4s for a 4" tin. For a 3.5 jar you could try a CD10 and see what it does. You might need to double or triple wick it.

Rae

Wow, double or triple wick a 3.5 diameter rocks glass! I'd really like to try to avoid doing that if possible. I had a woman locally who makes candles fill some jars for me and it looks like she is using a 60-44-18 zinc core wick in the same jar size although I have zero clue what type of wax she uses. She says it's a para/soy blend but I can't be sure. All I know is that her candles smell amazing and burn absolutely perfect and I would like to achieve the same with my endeavor.... o my this is hard!! Thanks for your response!

Beverly,

I use 10% fo in the 6006. I use a CD8 for a 3" tin and 3-CD4s for a 4" tin. For a 3.5 jar you could try a CD10 and see what it does. You might need to double or triple wick it.

Rae

For a 4" tin I'd use a CD12 'cause it'll catch up on the 2nd burn to get the melt pool you want and also the height is not the same as a JJ or sq. mason...they sometimes require the 2nd burn to get it. Why 3 wicks in a 4" tin? Geez, that's blazing, IMO. I always try to do away with more than 2 wicks, especially in that size... The only containers I EVER use 2 wicks is a large enamel mug and I use 2 CD22's, 16 oz. Apothecary I use 2 CD12's and do just fine in my 6006.

I use 1 CD12 in the 8 oz. sq. mason, CD14 in the 12 oz JJ and and depending on the FO a CD12 or CD14 in my 16 oz. sq. mason jar because of the height of the jar.....

3 wicks in a 4" tin is ridiculous, IMO only.

The deeper the container the less airflow is in the bottom...deep containers can = hair loss and instanity!!

Also 6006 likes containers that are more wide then deep. If you pour it in a jj for example you will most likely have to do a second pour OR add 15% or so soy to the 6006 and that took care of the problem for me....I do NOT do repours!!

I have never got supplies at that place you mentioned. Make sure you get an assortment of CD wicks if that is what you are gonna test. I am always needing one i dont have!!

tootie

Thanks so very much for all of your input Tootie! I am heading out now to the supplier here in Pittsburgh to grab some wicks, fragrances and some more wax to play with. I will post my results sometime tomorrow. Thanks again! I feel a newfound sense of confidence!