What's with people asking for "free" samples!

GourmetSoy

I've gotten several, including the one from the infamous Christie Amato:p . Today I got another one through my store contact form. I told her she was more than welcome to try my tarts as they were inexpensive and a good way to try out scents.

Are people just looking for cheap Christmas gifts or what?!:wink2:

Man starting to envy all of you who get requests ... but by no means do I want requests for freebies either ... but if you're givin' ... :tiptoe: :D

Actually I guess it isn't hard to believe that people ask for these since I see this come up on other lists at this time of the year too.

I got tired of it and now offer a $4 sample pack with shipping included. Its better then nothing and at least I have something to refer them to. I always have a million samples around here. I use a crinkle cutter and chunk up samples day and night, well my hubby usually does that part and they go in little craft bags and when I get time I do the labels for them. I offer 10 samples of soap and 2 little bottles of whatever I have on hand, usually lotion, sometimes body wash. They are 1/2 oz bottles. Not too much in there but enough for them to try. It has gotten me a few orders from people wanting to "try before they buy" bigger amounts. Sometimes they are a pain. I have a small pile of orders right now and those 3 orders for sample packs are pretty much at the bottom of my pile. One lady was very appreciative and said how glad she is that I offer a sample pack so she can pick out a couple of her faves to order larger sizes. Who knows is she will actually order but still.......

Thanks for all the replies!

I will not offer free samples at any point. Tarts are cheap and cheap to ship, if someone wants to try out different scents they can order the scent in tarts. I have low flat rate shipping also so how much easier can it get? If you start offering free samples then the word gets around and all of the sudden your bombarded will free sample orders and that cuts in to your production time for your regular orders. Time is money and my time is worth a lot, especially this time of year when we're in our busy season. I gladly send out a couple of free tarts with every order in new scents or scents that I think the customer would like. It's sort of a "thank you, I appreciate your business" thing. Free samples with no order? No way.

Customers are upset when their favorite companies go out of business because of the economy but are always expecting something for free, special treatment or a discount especially for them. I don't think they realize that free samples are not "free" to us. I also don't think that people realize that most of us are doing this because we enjoy it and aren't necessarily making too much of a profit while working more hours than a regular job. I don't know about you, but I'm not profiting $40,00 a year like I was as a nurse. Then again Im not working 12 hour night shifts anymore either :)

Attention everyone!

I am looking to make a huge make-believe order sometime in the distant future and would really like to have a free sample of your products - so please send me full sized samples of anything and everything you happen to make

Please send it ASAP so it can arrive before Christmas and give me time to wrap, ummmm I mean check them out

Since I will be spending all this make believe money sometime in the next 50 or 60 years, I am sure you won't mind paying shipping charges as well

Thank you very much,

scrubzz

Attention everyone!

I am looking to make a huge make-believe order sometime in the distant future and would really like to have a free sample of your products - so please send me full sized samples of anything and everything you happen to make

Please send it ASAP so it can arrive before Christmas and give me time to wrap, ummmm I mean check them out

Since I will be spending all this make believe money sometime in the next 50 or 60 years, I am sure you won't mind paying shipping charges as well

Thank you very much,

scrubzz

You want the sample of reindeer poop right?!!:laugh2:

I learned really fast about samples. They will e-mail me and tell me they want to sell my candles. They want me to send them some samples so they can decide what to order. CLICK! NEXT! Do you know most of them are kids, or people that have caught on to the sample thing. I was going to wholesale handmade oil lamps one time from Kimmis Candles. She offered to send me a free 20.00 lamp to try out. I was surprised. I loved it. When I got ready to order some to sell, but their business closed. I wonder how many of those she sent to sample freaks. Tarts are they way to go. Free Free Free, that is what they are looking for.