tea light molds

Do you guys use tea light molds (reusable), remove the tea light and reuse the mold, or do you buy the individual tea light metal/plastic containers and just sell them as is, mold and all? What is good price for the containers/1000? Where is a good place to buy them at a good price?

I do use a tealight mold, it's a polyurethane mold I got from Candlewic. But you still have to have something to put the tealight in, can be metal or plastic. Most tealight holders on the market are designed to use a tealight that is already in a metal or plastic cup. I use the plastic and get them from Candlewic also. I have found that if you get the polyurethane mold you will also want to get the tealight cups from them. I got some from Candlescience and the cup is just a teeny bit smaller than what Candlewic sells so I have to "shove" the tealight into the cup, it's a PITA.

You can just pour into the metal or plastic cup, it's your tealight container. Most people don't use a polyurethane mold, just depends on how many you need to be pouring.

I have a 9 count tealight mold. Since I never poured directly into the cups, I can't comment on the mess, but I love the fact that I can just pour into the mold quick and easy. I have found that if I let them cool (shrink) a bit out of the mold they go into the cups easier. I got my cups from BCN...I was placing an order anyway and these things are so light I could add them to the order and not affect my shipping cost.

I also have the polyurethane tealight mold. I love it!!! If I am topping off votives and have left over was I just have my tealight mold nearby and make tea lights. I save these for samples for customers or sometimes I package them up as a "Candlemakers Dozen" meaning it is a variety pack of different scents.

gerrie, I thought about buying the molds since I think pouring t's in the cups is a big pain. Does pouring go pretty fast or should I get the larger count molds. Just seems like a faster cleaner look when the wax is placed in the cups. since they won't have wax dripped all over.

Sharon, I love the mold. You'd be surprised how they end up looking, no one would ever guess they weren't poured in the cup. If you over pour your mold it just takes a few seconds for it to dry and you can pick the wax off the mold, or just leave it till the tealights are set up, remove the tealights from the mold, and the excess dripped wax just flakes right off. I insert my wick pins after I've poured cause I think they get in my way when pouring. The wicks slip right into them and then just stick it in the cup. Like I said, I'm having to work at getting my tealights in my new cups now that I didn't buy them from Candlewic. Never would have dreamed that tealight cups aren't all made by the same company, thinking they all would be the same size.

I also have the polyurethane tealight mold. I love it!!! If I am topping off votives and have left over was I just have my tealight mold nearby and make tea lights. I save these for samples for customers or sometimes I package them up as a "Candlemakers Dozen" meaning it is a variety pack of different scents.

Thats a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my tea light molds today and am playing around with them. I don't like the nails/pins that came with them cause I can't get them to stay in or straight in the mold. I have a nine cup size. So I took my votive pins and poked them through the bottom for the wick hole. They don't leak cause the mold material seals around it. Also they are not deep enough for me, they only fill a cup up to 1/4 inch from top. I always poured my tea lights completely full, that's why it was a pain. If I only poured 1/4 from top it would be easier. Now I have my metal cups in the mold and poured them full, my plastic will not fit inside. I'm going to test burn tomorrow to see how long one will burn with my wax. I always get 7 or more hrs. when poured full so if this cuts the time down too much I can't see any reason to make them myself. I only make the unscented ones to use in tart warmers. And I like them to last more than a few hours. Does anyone do unscented and a lot at a time? How about your pouring techniques? I have a higher shelf about chest leavel and place a tray with the cups on it then use a 1 cup measuring cup to pour wax. Maybe I'll try the paper cup next time to pour it might help with the drips. Read on the candle help board "You can also use a wood stirring stick or a chopstick for added pouring control to reduce dribbles." The link didn't go anywhere so could someone explain how that would work? Thanks and can anyone tell my grandkids spent the night and just went home??? TIA

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased a poly mold - am using it every day - but there is a white residue inside the individual 'cups' that I've been wiping off as just washing doesn't remove. This residue sticks to my tea lights and I have to re-melt, re-clean and re-pour. Has anyone else had this problem? The mold didn't come with cleaning or maintainence instruction.

So what is easier about pouring into a mould then moving to the cups?? I sit and tab up my wicks before I start (watching tv :D ) then line them all up on a tray and pour the wax directly into them....... sorted! I just don't see how it would be easier using a mould.

Anjie,x.

There are a large number of candle making suppliers that carry them. Personally, I get mine from www.peakcandle.com

I didn't see any t-lite molds on Peaks site. I use a softer container wax for my t-lites so don't think a metal mold would work.

Really didn't like the molds I bought. I've read where someone bought the cheapie t-lights(100 for just a few $) took out the wick and wax, melted the wax added soy and repoured. Sounds like a pain but it would be a better wax since the cheapies burn so hot and fast.

I didn't see any t-lite molds on Peaks site. I use a softer container wax for my t-lites so don't think a metal mold would work.

Really didn't like the molds I bought. I've read where someone bought the cheapie t-lights(100 for just a few $) took out the wick and wax, melted the wax added soy and repoured. Sounds like a pain but it would be a better wax since the cheapies burn so hot and fast.

Sorry Sharon my post was in reference to the donger's question asking for places to purchase the plastic tealight cups. Guess I should have used the quote option to be clearer... :embarasse