collecting money

chrisasst

When doing a fundraiser, When do you collect the money? If your group tells people that they don't have to pay until the products are delivered, does the organization pay you and then they get their money back when the customers pay them? Or do most organizationos (schools, churches etc) expect payment from the customers when they order?

I maybe stumbling upon a fundraiser opportunity and want to make sure I understand this stuff.

I do fundraisers and have been for about five years. I have a set price that they have to pay me when they turn in their orders. I wont process any orders for them until they have paid me. I have never had anyone not want to do one because of this.

My sons school and the organizations he participates in have always had to collect the money up front when doing fundraisers.

Good luck!

so when the kids go around to peoples house they should get the money then. which I agree should happen. Do you guys have a lot of turn downs because of this though?

Turn down from buyers or the organizations wanting to do the fundraisers? Around here that is how all the schools do their fundraisers and I would not expect it done any other way. I'm not running a bank so I can't afford to put out all that money upfront for supplies and then hope and pray I get it all back.

so when the kids go around to peoples house they should get the money then. which I agree should happen. Do you guys have a lot of turn downs because of this though?

How they collect is of no concern to you. To put it in a way you should be able to understand, if your office took money for someone to go out and get hamburgers for everyone for lunch, do you think McDonald's gives a hoot how the money was collected? Of course not. All they care about is getting the money when the order is placed.

With all the price questions you ask, I wonder if you're up to doing a fundraiser. I'm not trying to be mean, but until you have the basics down on pricing and selling, it's almost guaranteed you will run into a host of problems with a fundraiser where other people are involved.

Everyone pays me at the time they turn in their order EXCEPT....schools. With the schools i've dealt with you have to invoice them and the accounts payable issues a check. It usually takes 3-4 weeks AFTER I invoice them, I always get a check and I deliver the product the same day I invoice. Its not a big deal to me but I don't have to order my supplies, I always have the inventory.

I require full payment when the order is placed with me. I will only take a check from the organization for the full amount. The individual people can pay the organization any way they want to.

HTH and good luck!

I do mine the same way.;)

Here's what I do:

Give them a list of scents to choose from.

Give them the order forms.

Give them the tally sheet.

Tell them what YOUR price is....they choose the selling price....

They solicit and collect the money at the time of the sale. **If they don't collect at time of sale, who says the customer won't change their mind and when you deliver, they don't want them, or don't have the funds?

They turn in the tally sheet with totals per scent, etc..

They pay you YOUR price for each candle sold. They keep the rest.

I always ask for cash or cashier's checks from my fundraiser people. Never a check!

I pour, I deliver...done.......Money always up front!

HTH

Carrie

With all the price questions you ask, I wonder if you're up to doing a fundraiser. I'm not trying to be mean, but until you have the basics down on pricing and selling, it's almost guaranteed you will run into a host of problems with a fundraiser where other people are involved.

As far as I remember I have asked 2 price questions (10/17/07 & 11/08/08). I have a pretty good understanding on figuring cost and pricing if I were just selling retail. Fundraising, yep, a whole different world. I see it as volume selling. So I figured if I sell a jar candle even $2.00 above cost, you will still make out good. The fundraiser I was had inquired about involves a middleman as well. This guy goes would buy the candles from me and have the school sell them. So I got to make sure I make money, the school makes money and this middle man makes money.

It is not your responsibility to make sure the middle man makes money or the school makes money. Sell him your product at your wholesale price provided he meets your wholesale guidelines. Minimum purchase/price, etc. Don't make it harder than it is.