need to raise mp?

Ok I know I should know this, but I'm not positive. Is Micro 180 the addative I need to use to raise the MP of reg pillar wax to use as hurricane wax? I have an order for some pic embed hurricanes, but no hurricane wax and can only get reg pillar wax locally. If I'm wrong, what can I use? TIA for any help.

Tall

I don't think you can really do what you want to do. If you have an order to fill for paying customers, you'd be best off ordering some high MP wax to create a quality product.

If the wax you're using for pillars is closer to 145 MP than 138 MP, I suppose you could get away with that. Some clear crystals or translucent crystals could raise the MP somewhat without making the wax opaque, but you're not going to transform one kind of wax into another.

I don't know what's going to happen exactly if you put an appreciable amount of micro wax into the base wax. The result is gonna have a less distinct melt point that I suppose would be smeared towards the higher side, but I'm concerned it could still start to soften at a pretty low temperature. If it warps instead of melts that's just as bad.

I've used 1343 and 2% micro for hurricanes. It works OK. I did have one completely melt down when I had it lit on the VCR shelf of my entertainment system. I switched to 1260 hurricane wax and what a difference! It is much easier to work with. With 1343, I had to redo a lot because of bubbles or not sticking at the corners. I don't have that problem with 1260. They look so much better and are much more resistant to the heat of the votive.

I highly reccommend getting wax specifically for hurricanes.

I agree that a regular hurricane wax would be better, but I had no problems with the ones I made with the 1343 and the microwax. I did put a cork coaster in the bottom to keep the votive cup from melting the base. I burned votives in it for hours and hours and never had an issue with it melting the sides at all.

I agree with Mr. Top. It's one thing to play around for your own use but if you are selling them you need to get some hurricane wax. You just don't know how a customer is going to use them. I add 1/2 to 1 oz pp of micro 180 to make the IGI 1260 less brittle. Don't know what pillar wax you are using. Translucent crystals will help raise the mp.

Thanks all. I am one of those people who'll try and try to make something, then once they do it, move on to the next. Well I had only made a handful of pillars (which is where I started in candlemaking) when I came acrossed photo embedded hurricanes. I was using Yaley wax at the time. I got it down and made myself about 5 of them. I burned in each one and never had any problems, but I also kept them away from heat sources, and perfectly centered the votive holder, and used cork in the bottom. Well I bought a case of wax on ebay, not knowing that hurricane wax even existed. I knew about 2 waxes pillar and container. Seller said it was pillar wax. Well I got the wax and poured tons of candles. Let them cure for about a week and started burning a few. They burned HORRIBLY so I started asking around and found out the wax was Hurricane wax. I was crushed, everything I had made was useless and a waste of time, supplies, and alot of money. So I threw it all out. I was using Yaley fo at that time to, which we all know is garbage but I was paying $5-$6 an ounce.

Anyhow I've been using hurricane wax ever since, and your correct, it's much easier to work with. I've made and sold probably close to 100 of these now, but they were all made with hurricane wax with cork in the bottom and I always give verbal and written care instructions. I personally never had any problems with the ones I made with the Yaley wax which the MP was either 136 or 138 I can't remember. But we all know how well people listen to our directions. I've just read that others have been successful making these by adding an addative to raise the MP and I thought it was Micro 180. So I thought I'd give it a shot cuz $ is extremely tight right now. Oh well.