CP Soap & DOS

bugtussle

I have been searching for pictures of DOS everywhere on the Internet and there are not a lot of pics.

Please look at the attached pics and let me know if this is DOS. The soaps were made last Feb/Mar so the soap is 6 mos old. They were cured on waxed paper and then wrapped when cured. They have been stored at <80 Deg/<50 or less humidity.

They have no odor except lav and karma soap and this has just happened in the last 3 weeks. TIA Carole

post-1266-139458450106_thumb.jpg

post-1266-139458450108_thumb.jpg

mold? no I believe it's rancidity, but yes it still takes time.

sometimes we can pinpoint certain causes like older oils or high levels of rancidity-prone ones, sometimes it's certain EOs or colorants, sometimes it's contact with metal shelving, sometimes it's a heat (80 is fairly warm) or a humidity issue.

and sometimes it's a mystery.

how long did they cure before wrapping? I (personally) never wrap in plastic until it's pretty much time to pass it on.

sadly it's not harmless - it can stink, it eventually gets soft, and it spreads... no I don't think it'll hurt YOU but it will the soaps!

it's so strange that we have so many different experiences across soapers. I use sunflower all the time - usually HO but not always, yet I rarely get DOS and not necessarily in my sunflower soaps LOL!

ETA: don't wrap it till it's time to move it out.

I've read on another forum that having additives like GM you don't get DOS. All my soaps have 20-30% HO sunflower, and they are made with fresh GM. I've never had a case of DOS, many bars are over 2 years old in my stash right now. I did have a case of DOS in one batch - it was made with 20% canola and had no GM....interesting.

I use high oleic sunflower from SC and don't usually get it. But recently, I got it - or from what looked liked it on some bars. But I've gotten it before to know what it is. Only difference this time in my recipe was I replaced 100% of my water for aloe vera juice. Another soap I did only replacing a part of the water with AVJ so far has nothing looking like DOS. So note to myself, 100% AVJ = DOS.