I'm back with a question about shea butter

Jo Ann

since shea butter does nothing really for conditioning in soap, why is it used???

I haven't made soap in a while but i am out and so are some people at work buying it. so i thought i would throw shea butter in, but i see no real reason to use it if you go by the numbers. i thought it would have some conditioning properties.

thats true, but i would rather save it for cream than in soap since it doen't do much for conditioning. i just don't want my soap to be too drying. was hoping to find some good oils in my stash that will help the soap from being too drying.

I just started soaping with shea this year and use a small amount and absolutely love it. I've only used the unrefined type and it just feels so luxurious and creamy. Not all my soaps have shea butter in them and I'm almost out so have been trying mango butter, wheatgerm butter, monoi and they all work well for me.

It's a personal preference thing too. Try maybe a test batch for yourself to see what you think.

thats true, but i would rather save it for cream than in soap since it doen't do much for conditioning. i just don't want my soap to be too drying. was hoping to find some good oils in my stash that will help the soap from being too drying.

try increasing your superfat a tad. and there are other oils that also seem to be non-drying (crisco comes to mind, and it also makes a great massage oil LOL)

good massage oil...hmmmm

gee carebear, all i can do now is picture my husband all white and slippery from crisco glaring at me and the more he glares the more it melts and makes a puddle at his feet:p

soycrazy. I may give the shea a try after all cuz i think i read the same thing now that you mention it. :smiley2: question for you soycrazy, what do you think about soy oil. i have some organically produced soy oil. but i didn't care for its breakdown of numbers in the calc

Its a hard oil that adds creaminess, because of the high steric, yet its more of a silky creaminess because of the high oleic as well. If you look on the list of oil properties, its one of the first listed "hard oils" with the highest oleic value. To me, its adds "true" conditioning creaminess.